By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - Thoughts on The Beatles?

Definitely my favorite band from the 60s and one of my all time favorite bands. Pretty amazing group considering they started as a boy/cover band.

Around the Network

Theres nothing to think or argue or discuss, they are the greatest band in history.

On more arguable subjects: Michael Jackson is cool.

Never got into them but as a rock fan I obviously want to one day.

This thread is pretty good at being descriptive but when I see people just say they were "innovative" without telling me why they like them I think it's pretty telling.

Out of the 60's the only bands I really got into were The Velvet Underground, and The Mothers of Invention(Frank Zappa's group). Both of those are arguably almost, or just as, innovative as The Beatles. The Velvet Underground are simply divine - White Light White Heat is one of the best albums ever.

But The Beatles have songs I've heard that I really loved, but I've barely heard many.

Jpcc86 said:
There nothing to think or argue or discuss, they are the greatest band in history.

Nope..

Got a few of their CD's. I enjoy listening to them from time to time.

Around the Network

I like them, my english teacher used to play a lot of their songs for our lessons so they helped me in my education

I'm sure there were plenty of your classmates that could relate to the song Bad Boy! XD

Not a big fan of the band but I do like some of John Lennon's song.

A handheld gamer only (for now).

I think they are a bit boring, but they do have a few nice songs.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Never got into them but as a rock fan I obviously want to one day.

This thread is pretty good at being descriptive but when I see people just say they were "innovative" without telling me why they like them I think it's pretty telling.

But The Beatles have songs I've heard that I really loved, but I've barely heard many.

http://listverse.com/2012/10/11/10-beatles-innovations-that-changed-music/

Here's a quick and dirty link that lists and explains many of the innovations The Beatles made that we take for granted.  As I mentioned before, they basically invented the music video.  And regarding studio techniqes: "The Beatles (and their recording engineers) either pioneered or popularized Artificial Double Tracking (ADT), back masking, tuned feedback, spliced audio loops, distortion, equalization, stereo effects, multi-tracking (overdubbing), compression, phase shifting, and innovative “microphoning.” Although the Beatles are not credited with the invention of most of these studio tricks, they were responsible for directly inspiring countless musical acts that were desperate to copy their unique sounds."

I do highly recommend to take a quick tour through their very diverse catlogue, just for knowledge's sake.  For the same reason I have listened to Zappa and Captain Beefheart just to understand the conversation a bit better.  Thankfully with Youtube and the internet in general this is far easier now than when these artsists were active.

It's also interesting to note how Pink Floyd, The Beach Boys, and Harry Nillson were being influenced by and influencing The Beatles at the time.  Their music wasn't created in a vacuum and there was a constant competition to push music into crazy direction.  What a time to be a music fan that would have been.