By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I got a Switch yesterday, now heres my thought on it

BillyBlaze said:

Yes, I guess you're right - in its current state the system is not for me. That's why I'm not buying it, although I would really like to play some of the released and upcoming games. But I'm not paying for something that I can't use.

However, my point is that this could be fixed easily. With the Switch's concept of detachable controllers there are so many possibilities to make custom controllers for all kinds of purposes. The only question is if it would be profitable for Nintendo. But with at least 10% of Switch owners complaining about the lack of ergonomy and difficulties to play games like Splatoon 2 in handheld mode, I am pretty confident that "handheld mode only" joycons with more grip, bigger buttons, and a better positioning of the right stick would sell pretty well.

Okay, no one is complaining about Splatoon 2's handheld mode because of anything to do with the joycons. It's because you either have to move the entire screen to aim, or you have to use the inferior twin stick controls.

Around the Network

Nice insight.
Splatoon 2 will get better over time, just like the first game, with the updates, new stages, weapons etc.

StarDoor said:
BillyBlaze said:

Yes, I guess you're right - in its current state the system is not for me. That's why I'm not buying it, although I would really like to play some of the released and upcoming games. But I'm not paying for something that I can't use.

However, my point is that this could be fixed easily. With the Switch's concept of detachable controllers there are so many possibilities to make custom controllers for all kinds of purposes. The only question is if it would be profitable for Nintendo. But with at least 10% of Switch owners complaining about the lack of ergonomy and difficulties to play games like Splatoon 2 in handheld mode, I am pretty confident that "handheld mode only" joycons with more grip, bigger buttons, and a better positioning of the right stick would sell pretty well.

Okay, no one is complaining about Splatoon 2's handheld mode because of anything to do with the joycons. It's because you either have to move the entire screen to aim, or you have to use the inferior twin stick controls.

Even when I aim with motion controls, I still need the right stick to move the camera more quickly. And constantly switching from the ABXY buttons to the right stick and back is really uncomfortable.

StarDoor said:
BillyBlaze said:

I'm acutally playing splatoon 2 a lot in tabletop mode at the moment and it works well, i'm okay with the handheld not bein g brilliant but it is better if you turn the sensitivy right up to maximum on handheld so you dont have to move it much.

Can a mod change the thread title?

It's clearly misleading.

Around the Network

I actually got used to the grip and don't mind it. I was honestly surprised it how quickly I forgot that it was a modular controller. I do use my Pro controller now, though, so that says something :)

Splatoon 2 has taken time to get used to the Switched (pun intended) jump layout, but I'm coming around with that too. I wish they gave you more options for control schemes. Seems like the easiest way to make everyone happy.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Sounds like you're enjoying the console overall. Glad to hear that

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Mandalore76 said:
Yerm said:

After waiting for a few weeks, I finally recieved the Switch bundle that I ordered off of GameStop. With it I also recieved Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2, and Breath of the Wild. I've had at least a few hours to enjoy each game, and have a general impression of the console, and now here is my review of all of it.

The Switch felt very weird taking it out of the box. It's a small tablet with a decent weight to it, but the console itself is probably the most boring part. The biggest shock for me was the joycons. I guess I just never realized based on images alone how tiny the buttons were. The ABXY array is even smaller than the 3DS was, and the thumb sticks were just the same, easily being covered up by my thumb and having a very short range of movement. Using the joycons together as a controller, well in short, it felt like an OUYA controller. Classy and confortable, like Nintendo is known for, with strange controls. But I didnt let that stop me, I decided that I would probably just get use it and I moved onto the games. Loading up the system was fast and easy, and only required a few small updates. The only downside I could see was the Joycon battery life. If you are playing in TV mode and your Joycons are running low on battery, the only way to charge them is with the separately sold charging grip (which I dont have) or to connect them to the Switch console itself and go portable.

Have you used the joycons separately though?  I stopped inserting them into the joycon cradle after around the 1st week of using the system, which was over 4 months ago.  I find it the most comfortable experience in console gaming.  I can lie back on my couch with my hands and arms at ease at my sides rather than held up together wrapped around a single controller.  Try this with Breath of the Wild and it might change your opinion of the joycons.

so much this.. if you have a switch and have not tried this 'control option' , just f*cking do it.

3DS FC# 4553-9947-9017 NNID: Bajablo

Torn-City - MMO text based RPG, join me! :)

Insidb said:

It's clearly misleading.

in what way is it misleading? I did buy a Switch, and I did give my thoughts on it

Yerm said:
Insidb said:

It's clearly misleading.

in what way is it misleading? I did buy a Switch, and I did give my thoughts on it

Obviously you got a Switch back in July and not yesterday, you liar!

😜