By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I got a Switch yesterday, now heres my thought on it

Luke888 said:
The Joycon batteries are a non-issue, they last for like 10 hours, you just have to plug them in the console while you're done and they'll be ready to go the next time you turn on the console, it's really easy.

20 hrs actually

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Around the Network
Mandalore76 said:
Yerm said:

After waiting for a few weeks, I finally recieved the Switch bundle that I ordered off of GameStop. With it I also recieved Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2, and Breath of the Wild. I've had at least a few hours to enjoy each game, and have a general impression of the console, and now here is my review of all of it.

The Switch felt very weird taking it out of the box. It's a small tablet with a decent weight to it, but the console itself is probably the most boring part. The biggest shock for me was the joycons. I guess I just never realized based on images alone how tiny the buttons were. The ABXY array is even smaller than the 3DS was, and the thumb sticks were just the same, easily being covered up by my thumb and having a very short range of movement. Using the joycons together as a controller, well in short, it felt like an OUYA controller. Classy and confortable, like Nintendo is known for, with strange controls. But I didnt let that stop me, I decided that I would probably just get use it and I moved onto the games. Loading up the system was fast and easy, and only required a few small updates. The only downside I could see was the Joycon battery life. If you are playing in TV mode and your Joycons are running low on battery, the only way to charge them is with the separately sold charging grip (which I dont have) or to connect them to the Switch console itself and go portable.

Have you used the joycons separately though?  I stopped inserting them into the joycon cradle after around the 1st week of using the system, which was over 4 months ago.  I find it the most comfortable experience in console gaming.  I can lie back on my couch with my hands and arms at ease at my sides rather than held up together wrapped around a single controller.  Try this with Breath of the Wild and it might change your opinion of the joycons.

But the problem is for ARMS you need them clicked in or they'll go to motion control mode. And in splatoon only the right is for motion movement so that's maybe a good thing but requires practice to master. But games like BotW and other adventure platformed games for sure are better with loose joycons

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

I'm relieved to read that I'm not the only person who finds the joycons way too small and uncomfortable. They were clearly made with the average small Japanese hand in mind - which is strange, considering that the west is such an important market for Nintendo...

Do you guys see a chance of Nintendo making bigger single-player-only Joycons as accessories in the future? I am afraid they won't see any need to change as people who don't like the Joycons buy the Switch anyway and just use the pro controller...

BillyBlaze said:
I'm relieved to read that I'm not the only person who finds the joycons way too small and uncomfortable. They were clearly made with the average small Japanese hand in mind - which is strange, considering that the west is such an important market for Nintendo...

Do you guys see a chance of Nintendo making bigger single-player-only Joycons as accessories in the future? I am afraid they won't see any need to change as people who don't like the Joycons buy the Switch anyway and just use the pro controller...

There are rubber joycon grip acessories for $8.

Rocketjay8 said:
BillyBlaze said:

There are rubber joycon grip acessories for $8.

I know, but I haven't really read any reviews stating that they improve ergonomy by a lot for people with big hands. Also they don't fix the tiny buttons.

To me it's an evidence of incapactiy if third party products are supposed to fix the console's design flaws. I am aware that the joycons kind of have to be so small and unergonomic for the whole concept to work, but Nintendo still could have provided an alternative...

Around the Network
Yerm said:

After waiting for a few weeks, I finally recieved the Switch bundle that I ordered off of GameStop. With it I also recieved Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2, and Breath of the Wild. I've had at least a few hours to enjoy each game, and have a general impression of the console, and now here is my review of all of it.

The Switch felt very weird taking it out of the box. It's a small tablet with a decent weight to it, but the console itself is probably the most boring part. The biggest shock for me was the joycons. I guess I just never realized based on images alone how tiny the buttons were. The ABXY array is even smaller than the 3DS was, and the thumb sticks were just the same, easily being covered up by my thumb and having a very short range of movement. Using the joycons together as a controller, well in short, it felt like an OUYA controller. Classy and confortable, like Nintendo is known for, with strange controls. But I didnt let that stop me, I decided that I would probably just get use it and I moved onto the games. Loading up the system was fast and easy, and only required a few small updates. The only downside I could see was the Joycon battery life. If you are playing in TV mode and your Joycons are running low on battery, the only way to charge them is with the separately sold charging grip (which I dont have) or to connect them to the Switch console itself and go portable.

Splatoon 2 was the game I was most excited for, so naturally I booted it up first. Having played Splatoon all the way up until I got a Switch, all I can say is that the sequel is not friendly to returning players. I was use to having the giant Gamepad as a controller, but now using the Joycons, it almost felt a bit cramped. Not to mention a few unnecessary changes to the control scheme. The jump button which was previously mapped to X is now mapped to B. They did this to have the jump button closest to the thumb stick, but its just an awkward transition. The X button now opens the map, meaning I frequently end up opening the map by accident when I meant to jump. The motion controls also did not help much in handheld mode. I frequently had to shift the Switch far up or far down to realign it. And the small screen was a bit awkward to play on, but the pixel density did at least make it look nice while playing. Another thing to note is the stages. Splatoon wasnt too big on stage detail due to limited power, but the sequel is packed to the brim, almost to the point where its a bad thing. Splatoon stages felt open and free, always capturing the feel of an outside environment. But Splatoon 2 almost feels artificial, like everything is closed in, and inside. I wouldnt say it makes me claustrophobic, just odd. But I suppose thats the main point, your character in Splatoon 2 is meant to be new, just starting off, and even as a vivid Splatoon player, Splatoon 2 does a great job pulling that off. I feel completely immersed in the world they built around this game.

Breath of the Wild, I havent been active in too much, but it does amaze me how great the scale is of this world and how free-form everything feels. Unfortunately I dont have an opinion on it yet. I do love the gameplay though, and I can tell Im going to have a lot of fun with it.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe however delived exactly what I wanted and fixed every problem I had with the original. If you always led the race, you would get 90% coins as items, now there is a lot more variety. I can now play my favorite Mario Kart game at home, or on the go, and it really is a breath of fresh air to finally be able to step away from Mario Kart 7's broken mechanics. Not to mention battle mode is back and better than ever. My only issue is the placement of the + and - buttons. It feels unnatural to reach for the + to pause the game. Needless to say, I am impressed with how well this game came out. Im usually not one for remasters, but I have to make an exception here. Of any Wii U game, this one deserved a port. 

I'm supposed to be getting a Switch in about a month. It's my first Nintendo console since the Wii. With the amount of games available on it right now and the ones coming out, do you think it's okay for someone inexperienced with Nintendo to invest 300 dollars into it right now? I really want to try out Breath Of The Wild, Splatoon 2, and Odyssey, but am a bit concerned about it's future.

Smartie900 said:

I'm supposed to be getting a Switch in about a month. It's my first Nintendo console since the Wii. With the amount of games available on it right now and the ones coming out, do you think it's okay for someone inexperienced with Nintendo to invest 300 dollars into it right now? I really want to try out Breath Of The Wild, Splatoon 2, and Odyssey, but am a bit concerned about it's future.

Were you satisfied with the software output of the Wii?

StarDoor said:
Smartie900 said:

I wish certain franchises like Star Fox and F Zero would have been on there.... but the Wii did have some of favorite games like Super Mario Galaxy. Overall, I did have fun with the games I bought on there.

Smartie900 said:
StarDoor said:

I wish certain franchises like Star Fox and F Zero would have been on there.... but the Wii did have some of favorite games like Super Mario Galaxy. Overall, I did have fun with the games I bought on there.

If you were content with what the Wii offered, I'd say you'd definitely be satisfied with the Switch. It'll have a longer lifespan and more Nintendo games, since all of Nintendo's software output will be going to it. Additionally, it will have mainline Pokémon games, which is new for Nintendo home consoles.

Batteries last 20 hours so it should be no issue to charge them.

Buy eshop card of 20 dollars.
Get on eshop.
See Implosion.
Buy Implosion.
Thank me later.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000