By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Trump Announces Ban on Transgender People in US Military

You support this?

No. 206 29.68%

Yes. 311 44.81%

^ What the hell is wrong ... 177 25.50%

Total:694

The Military is not a social program. It's a force measured on its lethality. Hate all you want but people who suffer from Gender Dysphoria should not service, just like anyone else who suffers from mental illness. These people need help, not to have their illness be accepted as normal. Some people believe the recent move towards accepting Trans people is being compassionate but nothing could be farther from the truth. These people have extremely higher rates of self destructive behavioral disorders and mental illness later in life and not to mention an alarmingly high suicide rate.

These people require compassionate treatment and care. Stop normalizing mental illness.

Around the Network

Good for the transgender I say. The US military is a cancer that serves the 1% of USA and causes war for them in the middle east. I am against armies in general but US army might be the worst of the worst

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

robzo100 said:
d21lewis said:

There's a lot to consider and quite frankly, I haven't done the research. I have served in the military, though. I'll give my two cents:

The military has a standard of discipline, physical appearance, physical ability, and mental sharpness. The men and women who enlist have to be capable of accomplishing and supporting a variety of tasks. When a mission must be executed, they choose the best and most capable. The ones conditioned for the job at hand.

If, for example, a female who identifies as a male goes through basic training with other males, will that person be able to live up to the physical standards? Will they be the "weak link"? Will they distract from the vital lessons being taught by instructors?

I've read that many in the LGBT community are more likely to be depressed, suicidal, or have other mental issues. I'm not doctor and I'm not trying to be disrespectful. Would hormone treatments play into this?

I'm not a fan of President Trump. I have no issues with Donald Trump but President Trump is a whole other beast. I rarely agree with his decisions but this time, I can see his point of view.

And that's what I think he's counting on. The majority uniting behind him against a few. At one point in time, the idea of women in the military was preposterous. At one time, the idea of blacks in the military was madness. There was a lot of "pushback" before that became the norm. Maybe this will be, too. Right now, I'm seeing the potential downsides that could effect our military's effectiveness.

My mind is open so my stance could change. Educate me.

I support Trump more than you, so I'm sure we're at odds on other things, but what I feel people should take away from the history you bring up is that progress is a process. Of course there would have been friction at each point the military became more open with respect to blacks, women, etc.  People shouldn't recognize this as a "be all end all."

He's simply slowing things down from my point of view. Integration of new ideas is always best done slow in my opinion, it's actually why I support smaller forms of government. State-level policies and ideas (marriage, marijuna, healthcare, etc.) trickle from one state to another as each new state's implementation observes the positives and negatives of the implementation before it. Furthermore, the ideas can slowly be digested by society so that they can finally be viewed as uncontroversial when it must be put forth as federal law.

I'm sure transgenderism will make progress in the military, but it is a hot button issue right now and needs cool down time. And like others have echoed, if its medical and gender-interaction consequences mirror those already found with asthmatics and gender-instinct issues, then there is already some legitimate grounds.

Thank you for your well thought out and respectful response. I really respect that.

Just wow....utter disgrace. Idiocracy is real. Brawndo's got electrolytes!

TruckOSaurus said:
A good title for a book about Trump's administration would "CTRL-Z".

I'm more in favor of CTRL-ALT-Right-DEL

Around the Network

Exactly this.  Everyone is all up in arms over nonsense.

They are a burden on the US financially, this is not about the LGBT community at all.  The military is not social program.

I can understand this decision. I'm not saying it's ethically right but when it comes to military and war, it's definitely the right decision. It's clear a lot of people here don't have military experience and thus don't understand the dynamics at all. I'm not going to dig very deep but let's be honest here. One and perhaps the biggest problem of all is this, a transgender person in army simply has no authority at all regardless of rank. That's it.

I cannot imagine toilet-free life.

Kebabs have a unique attribute compared to other consumables. To unlock this effect you need to wolf down a big ass kebab really fast, like under 10 minutes or so and wait for the effect to kick in. If done correctly your movements should feel unbelievably heavy to the point where you literally cannot move at all.

-Downtown Alanya Kebab magazine issue no.198

jason1637 said:
StarOcean said:

No apology will ever make up for what you said. You can to justify it here to make yourself look better but you aren't and you know what you said is BS. You're happy when people's loved ones commit suicide. That's who you are. 

I answered a question I was asked. What was I supposed to do lie? I'm happy for the person doing what they felt they had to do I've said it many times that i feel bad or that it sucks for those affected. 

I'm going to challenge you here. I think StarOcean is twisting your words, but I can understand why they are so offended by your comment.

"Being happy for" someone and "being happy" that something happened are not the same thing. That said, I feel you are showing a huge lack of understanding of what drives someone to even comtenplate, let alone attempt, suicide. In the most basic terms, its is a lasr resort when their outlook on their life is that things can't get worse but will never get better and an act of sheer desperation to end their suffering. To say you are happy they succeeded is warped to say the least.

Seems like an absolutely pointless move. Considering that there really aren't such a huge number of trans soldiers in the army, the cost excuse is just that, an excuse. Especially since the US already spends an absolutely massive amount of money on their army in general, so whatever this saves them is nothing in comparison. I also don't understand the point some people are making that trans people are somehow inherently worse in combat situations. What exactly is the logic behind that?

Shiken said:

It can also be viewed as a mental illness to decide to mutilate yourself just so you could "identify" as something else.

It's done by medical professions. You are saying breast/penis enlargement surgery is also mutilation.