By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Q1 Financial Results: Switch 4.70m, 3DS 67.08m, Softwares Numbers.

Kerotan said:

Why are their profits not higher when they're selling lots of Switch hardware and software along with good mobile sales? 

The earnings numbers are good. 

Year over year sales are up over 100%. To put things in perspective, last year, they lost almost 25bn yen in Q1.

Around the Network
specialk said:
Kerotan said:

Why are their profits not higher when they're selling lots of Switch hardware and software along with good mobile sales? 

Year over year sales are up over 100%. To put things in perspective, last year, they lost almost 25bn yen in Q1.

So when will they go back to making big profits like a few years ago? 

Kerotan said:
specialk said:

Probably when the Nintendo Switch has built up a nice install base, it's still early times for it to start bringing in a huge source of revenue, why do you think Nintendo is keeping the 3DS around, it's to help bring in money while Switch get's fully underway enough to a point where it can be sustainable and profiting platform on it's own.

The more mobile apps, theme parks, and licensing out of their ip, etc they do as well in the future will also certainly help them towards that goal as well. It looks to be only up from here for Nintendo at the minute.

Shikamo said:

– Nintendo’s earnings share from Pokemon GO (share of profit of entities accounted for using equity method): ¥3,286 million

This is wrong. "Share of profit of entites accounted for using equity method" isn't "Pokémon GO". Some of that income is from Pokémon GO, through their stake in The Pokémon Company (which is accounted for using the equity method), but we can't know the exact split, and it certainly isn't all of it.

low tie ratio for the 3 platforms it seem

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Kerotan said:

If I knew that, I'd be a stock-picking millionaire. 

Given that Nintendo themselves are forecasting an operating profit of 65bn yen through March of 2018, I think it is safe to say that it probably won't be this year.

Nintendo sold nearly 50 million combined DS and Wii consoles in the 2009-10 fiscal year. It will be hard for them to hit numbers like that ever again IMO.

Arms is selling like a god church

Kerotan said:
specialk said:

To add to what Green said about building an install-base, probably after a year or two when there's a solid install-base by that time a lot of their games and various accesories will be out and still selling decently (eg games like MK and Splatoon which have legs), so on-top of new releases that'll give them big profits i imagine. Whether it's as big as in the Wii/DS games we shall see!

OT:  Solid numbers. More than i expected from ARMS certainly. Reading this i can see them maintaining stock to 10m, possibly higher if they hadn't taken into account production increases in that number.

NNID: b00moscone

Switch ID: SW-5475-6755-1986

3DS friend-Code: 4613-6380-5406

PSN: b00mosconi

It's interesting that the software sell rate for Switch is outpacing 3ds software sales for the quarter with far less install base and less available titles.

Nintendo fans rly like karts...