By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most Oversaturated Genre?

What game genre has become the most oversaturated lately?

First person shooter 284 56.02%

Open world 141 27.81%

Simulation (of any kind) 10 1.97%

JRPG 22 4.34%

Third person shooter 12 2.37%

Side-scrolling shooter 4 0.79%

Metroidvania 3 0.59%

Platformer 17 3.35%

Kart racer 2 0.39%

Fighting game 12 2.37%

Total:507

Almost every genre is oversaturated nowadays and some good games get less spotlight than they deserve due to that.

But that doesn't mean that they should make less good games for these genres. Choice is great!

Around the Network

Based on the past two or so years of game?

Surprisingly, not the First Person Shooter. This genre/subgenre is not exactly fresh, but games like Overwatch and Doom 2016 showed some of the ways that the genre can still have some variety. There are still plenty of them, but they're not too saturated.

Hell, even the MMO isn't too saturated nowadays. It was for ages, but with WoW now at a more reasonable playerbase of 5 million or so, you've got room for Final Fantasy XIV, Korean MMOs, The Old Republic, EVE Online, and many others with over 100k active users. And with the number of new MMOs lower now, it's working out.

I'll go with the Open World genre. Especially Action Adventure games. Since early 2015, we've had Assassin's Creed Syndicate, Watch Dogs 2, Mafia 3, Ghost Recon Wildlands, Far Cry Primal, The Division, Horizon Zero Dawn, Breath of the Wild, Metal Gear Solid V, Batman: Arkham Knight, Just Casue 3, Mad Max, and the ocassional pseudo-RPG like Fallout 4 which is fairly close to this category. And those are just the ones I could think of without proper research!

Love and tolerate.

First person shooter.

Open world and indie aren't genres

FPS - but I like those games so yea for me!

I voted JRPG though.  There are far too many games I can't pronounce and would never buy.

Around the Network
zippy said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
I would say FPS games but for the love of god I love open world games but they take too longer to finish and are piling up.

Fully agree. I'm chipping away at Breath of the wild as I want to explore every last bit of Hyrule. However I'm doing this whilst in the back of my mind I know I have Witcher 3, Just Cause 3, Mad Max, GTAV, Horizon Zero Dawn and soon to be Xenoblade Chronicles 2 in my backlog.

EXACTLY!!! OMG! Thats like over 600+ hours of content right there. Xenoblade is the next openworld rpg on my list but Mad Max is in the backlog. Witcher 3 is worth the playthrough as soon as you can. The game is fn amazing.  Horizon cojes right after that.

Video games is oversaturated in general.

A handheld gamer only (for now).

Open world. Not really a genre, more a design choice, but filling in maps and doing all the chores therein is stale af.

FPS.

They're all the same damn copy and paste formula anymore. I don't get how people keep lining up to buy the same game over and over again. There's a war, you shoot and you throw grenades. WOW.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
zippy said:

Fully agree. I'm chipping away at Breath of the wild as I want to explore every last bit of Hyrule. However I'm doing this whilst in the back of my mind I know I have Witcher 3, Just Cause 3, Mad Max, GTAV, Horizon Zero Dawn and soon to be Xenoblade Chronicles 2 in my backlog.

EXACTLY!!! OMG! Thats like over 600+ hours of content right there. Xenoblade is the next openworld rpg on my list but Mad Max is in the backlog. Witcher 3 is worth the playthrough as soon as you can. The game is fn amazing.  Horizon cojes right after that.

Just goes to show the quality of gaming today, all those great games in this gen alone. I always say to myself don't buy any games until I finish the one  I'm playing but I just can't help myself. Xenoblade 2 will probably jump the queue though. I can wholeheartedly recommend any Xenoblade game, in my opinion the best games on Wii and Wii U respectively.