By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - So Republicans haven't passed one piece of major legislation yet (and they still haven't)

Are you glad Republicans can't pass shit?

Yes 200 72.20%

No 39 14.08%

Results 38 13.72%

Total:277
barneystinson69 said:
Acevil said:

Can you source your claim, I see 4-7 seats that might switch to democrat possibly and only one that is leaning towards switching to Republicans. Given Republican failures with incompetent president the likely situation is Donald will be lame duck more likely than not. This obviously my assumption it will work more favorable namely if Republicans fail on their budget bill promises, which seems more and more likely. 

I think a lot of people underestimate when the tide turns it turns. However one thing republicans do have is that mid elections demographically favor them, as a lot dems don't seem to care about mid election. 

http://www.270towin.com/2018-senate-election/

So you think republicans could lose all but 2 of their seats in this senate class? I mean democrats have always dreamed about winning Texas, but even being competitive in Texas is a dream during a midterm, let alone Alabama, Tenessee, Utah, Wyoming, Nebraska, or Missisippi.

2 GOP tossups, 8 democratic. But ignoring the tossup map, you tell me other GOP seats that could possibly flip democratic, because I don't see it.

Only one GOP senate seat is in a state Trump didn't win. Democrats have 10 seats in states Trump won. And unlike in 2012, it is a midterm year; so even though the incumbent party usually suffers, the democrats also have to deal with low turnout (the recent special house elections aren't going to give confidence to democrats who may now not bother voting at all).

Honestly that line is the only thing that hinders my beliefs (Which is stupid that this happens, as people who claim to wanting change in the world only care when President is running, and not the other important year), but I do believe Trump's republican will suffer a lot in the coming months in terms of confidence, that states that are given would become a toss up. Given I only hold my beliefs based on the upcoming budget issues and broken promises. 

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:
Azuren said:

That mofo was sprinting through lobbies a few months ago. He'll be fine.

That's fine and all but does he even want to run for 2020 ? 

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5966be85e4b0d51cda6004b5

Maybe.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

sethnintendo said:
gergroy said:

You can't really look up the costs of an operation like that.  The American healthcare system is way too complex for that.  First of all, there are thousands of healthcare networks that are all built differently and charge differently.  Then there is the fact that it is built to charge people's insurance for the cost, so most people's out of pocket is just a couple hundred for operations.  If you are one of the few who don't have insurance, they generally drop the price by half if not more.  My brother was in a major car accident and had to have multiple surgeries and long term care for a while.  When the hospital learned he didn't have insurance they reduced his bill by 90%.  

I had appendicitis and went to emergency room after suffering with it for about 3 or 4 days.  It mainly just hurt a lot at night trying to sleep the pain would happen then.  I basically diagnosed myself through the symptons considering it was severe right side pain moving to the center.  It could have been a kidney stone but anyways.

I pay out of pocket

~1,200 for surgeon cut a deal because mom worked for same hospital network and we paid in full

~500 for MRI after negotiating

~150 for pathologist to look at organ taken out to see I guess if cancer or whatever the fuck is there

~450 for anaesthesiologist after negotiating

2,300 I paid for services that saved my life

Hospital bill not including any of that previous stuff for one night stay, barely being checked up on, and pain drugs... $20,000.  They wanted 20K for one night, drugs, bed, and semi being checked on.  I was about to go into Coast Guard boot camp but that eventually fell through and never happened even though I went back one more physical but you had to wait a full 6 months).  So that sob story I guess was enough to convince them to write that 20k debt off I guess as tax deduction.  I'm pretty sure it was heavily inflated because they knew they might have to write it off as a tax deduction due to no insurance.  If I was forced to pay that bill I would have fought tooth and nail and demand to see every bullshit charge.

USA healthcare system is a fucking rip off.

Yeah, if hospitals operated at a fixed cost (charged the same for everything with a modest profit) insurance costs would probably go way down.  Of course, then they probably couldn't reduce the cost as much for those that don't have insurance...  still, as it is, people with insurance basically subsidize those without.  They charge the insurance companies and arm and a leg so they can shave the price down to nothing for those without insurance.  It is incredibly messed up for sure.

however, there are some benefits.  We tend to attract and retain the most qualified doctors in the world.  As such, we have the best major medical and medical research.  It costs a ton, but people that are dying are probably fine paying and living then saving their money and dying.

JRPGfan said:

My dad's knee gave out and he fell and landed badly... he shattered his Patellar (kneecap).

I looked up the avg costs in the US for simple version of a breaks surgery, and that was over 15,000$.
Then throw in Xrays, and the lateron therapy to regain strength in the leg..... yeah.

Im glad we dont have the USA's healthcare system here.

Im also happy the republicans havnt been able to take away any healthcare from anyone yet.

Now that's just sad. A few years back I broke my hand and shortly after my elbow completely. I had to have surgery on the elbow. This cost me nothing. You know why? Because in my country all people are paying taxes. It boggles my mind that people in the US have no problem paying car insurance, house insurance, life insurance and really any insurance they need. But when it comes to healthcare they suddenly don't want to pay a small percentage of their income every month? This is so moronic.

The reason Repunlicans couldn't pass anything yet is because they try to fix things by spending less money, so obviously it will be worse than what's already in place.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

This is a bad thing, why? Federal legislation has always required a consensus to pass in the United States.

Around the Network
vivster said:

Now that's just sad. A few years back I broke my hand and shortly after my elbow completely. I had to have surgery on the elbow. This cost me nothing. You know why? Because in my country all people are paying taxes. It boggles my mind that people in the US have no problem paying car insurance, house insurance, life insurance and really any insurance they need. But when it comes to healthcare they suddenly don't want to pay a small percentage of their income every month? This is so moronic.

The reason Repunlicans couldn't pass anything yet is because they try to fix things by spending less money, so obviously it will be worse than what's already in place.

Depends on what you mean by 'small' ? If you think ~20% of your annual salary for one service is small ... 

vivster said:

It boggles my mind that people in the US have no problem paying car insurance, house insurance, life insurance and really any insurance they need.  But when it comes to healthcare they suddenly don't want to pay a small percentage of their income every month?

Well, considering 90% of Americans have health-insurance, much more than those who pay for house insurance, car insurance, or life insurance, I don't know what you're talking about. 

The problem certainly isn't about Americans not wanting to pay for health-insurance, and much more about who is paying for said health-insurance. 

edit: Plus, last time I checked we all pay a 1.45% + 1.45% Medicare tax so that the elderly and poor can have subsidized care. 

gergroy said:
sethnintendo said:

I had appendicitis and went to emergency room after suffering with it for about 3 or 4 days.  It mainly just hurt a lot at night trying to sleep the pain would happen then.  I basically diagnosed myself through the symptons considering it was severe right side pain moving to the center.  It could have been a kidney stone but anyways.

I pay out of pocket

~1,200 for surgeon cut a deal because mom worked for same hospital network and we paid in full

~500 for MRI after negotiating

~150 for pathologist to look at organ taken out to see I guess if cancer or whatever the fuck is there

~450 for anaesthesiologist after negotiating

2,300 I paid for services that saved my life

Hospital bill not including any of that previous stuff for one night stay, barely being checked up on, and pain drugs... $20,000.  They wanted 20K for one night, drugs, bed, and semi being checked on.  I was about to go into Coast Guard boot camp but that eventually fell through and never happened even though I went back one more physical but you had to wait a full 6 months).  So that sob story I guess was enough to convince them to write that 20k debt off I guess as tax deduction.  I'm pretty sure it was heavily inflated because they knew they might have to write it off as a tax deduction due to no insurance.  If I was forced to pay that bill I would have fought tooth and nail and demand to see every bullshit charge.

USA healthcare system is a fucking rip off.

Yeah, if hospitals operated at a fixed cost (charged the same for everything with a modest profit) insurance costs would probably go way down.  Of course, then they probably couldn't reduce the cost as much for those that don't have insurance...  still, as it is, people with insurance basically subsidize those without.  They charge the insurance companies and arm and a leg so they can shave the price down to nothing for those without insurance.  It is incredibly messed up for sure.

however, there are some benefits.  We tend to attract and retain the most qualified doctors in the world.  As such, we have the best major medical and medical research.  It costs a ton, but people that are dying are probably fine paying and living then saving their money and dying.

Not to mention that we have a lot of people who don't do any preventine/proactive care and treat the ER as their general practionier. ERs are legally required to see anyone who walks in regardless of their ability to pay for it. Those patients drive up the cost of care so much.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

barneystinson69 said:

If there is one thing I have to say, universal health care is the best option 

"Universal health care" isn't an "option", but an end. It literally means everybody in the country has access to healthcare. The way Switzerland achieves it (not-for-profit insurance companies in a competive market for basic services, and for-profit for extra services) is very different from how Britain achieves it (government owned hospitals.) 

So the question that many proponents of "universal healthcare" need to answer is, which one will work the best in The United States of America? That is much harder to answer, and is why the last time Democrats had control of the country we ended up with the Affordable Care Act, a hodgepodge of nothing but subsidies for corporate welfare-queens. 

Personally, I don't think health-care companies and employers should be getting subsidies in the first place. Nor should the FDA continue to inflate the costs of drugs and medical technology in this country via overregulation. 

No matter what system we have in the United States, costs will remain higher than in other countries, because Americans have trouble not purchasing end-of-life care, luxury care,  and many other quality of life/non-life extending treatments. Even with a single-payer system, Americans would demand this politically and therefore the cost-savings due to rationing would not be realized. However, there are plenty of distortions that can be fixed within the current system by taking out the actions which persuade bad incentives. 

fatslob-:O said:
vivster said:

Depends on what you mean by 'small' ? If you think ~20% of your annual salary for one service is small ... 

20% of my income is tiny compared to the value my health.

sc94597 said:
vivster said:

It boggles my mind that people in the US have no problem paying car insurance, house insurance, life insurance and really any insurance they need.  But when it comes to healthcare they suddenly don't want to pay a small percentage of their income every month?

Well, considering 90% of Americans have health-insurance, much more than those who pay for house insurance, car insurance, or life insurance, I don't know what you're talking about. 

The problem certainly isn't about Americans not wanting to pay for health-insurance, and much more about who is paying for said health-insurance. 

edit: Plus, last time I checked we all pay a 1.45% + 1.45% Medicare tax so that the elderly and poor can have subsidized care. 

Lol. Is that joke? 3% is nothing. Might as well pay nothing at all, this amount covers nothing. Bump it up to 10% and force employers to pay 10% to match it, then we can start talking.

Healthcare is expensive, act like it.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.