By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best game ever made? Here's a poll. UPDATE.

What do you think is the best game ever made?

Final Fantasy VII 163 15.23%

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 486 45.42%

Street Fighter II 20 1.87%

Resident Evil 2 32 2.99%

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 19 1.78%

Super Mario 64 140 13.08%

Grand Theft Auto V 90 8.41%

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 28 2.62%

Minecraft 24 2.24%

Star Wars Kinect 68 6.36%

Total:1,070
niceguygameplayer said:
SvennoJ said:
Everquest. I only played it for 4 years but it's still going. 18 years now. Its 24th expansion will come out later this year. It's truly living up to its name.

It still exists!?

It even has 22 servers still going. https://www.everquest.com/home Aww my old server is still there, bristlebroke, err bristlebane. It used to crash almost every night back then... That with the frequent occurance of link death and playing with 1200ms lag, kids have it easy nowadays!

Everquest 2 still exists as well, but only 8 servers. I only played that for a few months, wasn't as good. Now I simply don't have the time nor energy for a mmorpg anymore.

Around the Network
niceguygameplayer said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Do you have poroblems killing hundreds of people in games like Uncharted? Or is only a problem when there are characters called demons in way less believeble worlds like bayonetta or Persona?

I don't play Uncharted or games where you are killing realistically. I don't like shooters. It is easier in a more fantasy based game, though, for me. I would rather kill demons than have them on my team. I hate killing innocent ppl even in games. I know they aren't real, but it's the thought to me. Once again, the more realistic the more it bothers me.

Would it be different if the demons on Persona were be called Yoktai or anything different than demon?

Flilix said:
niceguygameplayer said:

Too childish for me. 

As for a Link between Worlds, What system is that on?

Pokémon is the most badass game in the world.

And A Link Between Worlds is on 3DS.

I will check out some video on A Link Between Worlds. 

In no particular order (but Xeno beeing number 1 if i had to)

Final Fantasy VII
Resident Evil 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & knuckles
Xenogears
Final Fantasy Tactics
Suikoden 2
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2

edit: Omg i forgot: Grandia 2!

Goodnightmoon said:
niceguygameplayer said:

I don't play Uncharted or games where you are killing realistically. I don't like shooters. It is easier in a more fantasy based game, though, for me. I would rather kill demons than have them on my team. I hate killing innocent ppl even in games. I know they aren't real, but it's the thought to me. Once again, the more realistic the more it bothers me.

Would it be different if the demons on Persona were be called Yoktai or anything different than demon?

It would take a lot. The whole demonic theme would have to change. Like shooting yourself in the head to power up or whatever that was. 

Around the Network

A lot of the mechanics in OoT haven't aged all that well. Te game is still very playable and good and was insanely amazing when it came out but best ever? Nah. Not even then. Like FFVII they are both vastly overrated and been bested before and after their release just by titles in their own series. OoT's Z targeting is kinda broken when you consider flying enemies. In fact the concept of Z targeting is dated now and kinda broken. BotW brought 2D Zelda in 3D for the first time really in terms of the world,exploration and combat. OoT took a familiar name but made a different formula which was a different experience. That formula was used more or less until BotW. It took 30 years to truly bring the 2D NES classic into 3D.

FFVII was the first FF in 3D and dropped the traditional setting. That was a huge change. CGI cut scenes while not new but Square were top notch at this up through the PS2 era. It was a very good RPG. Shocking moment when a character died but at this point it's the video game version of Darth Vader is Lukes dad. It no longer shocks us. Even those who never played FFVII or watched Star Wars know this scene. It was shocking then but honestly no more shocking than Leo's death. I also think Legend of Dragoon did it FAR better. All the milking of FF7 and cloud has become mega emo over the years. It's diminished FFVII integrity as a game. Tho sadly FFVII made it popular to kill a character mid game..every RPG did it after that for years..it just became expected. FFIX I consider to be a better game. It's FF 1-6 wrapped in one game as a love letter.  The best character in the game is no doubt Vivi. Even tho it's another the character dies. We know he will for some time and it doesn't make it any easier. It's not a shock value death. It's one you know is coming. You have time to get to know him and the emotional build up is far more impactful emotionally rather than just shocking.

I still feel many people still label them best ever just because it was those series first games in 3D and for 20 years both Square & Nintendo keep milking them. Good yes. Great..sure.Best ever...nah.

mZuzek said:
Goodnightmoon said:

None of those statements are true though

I'm sorry to break it down to you, but my opinion is actually real, so these statements are definitely true.

...and I don't care how much people try to defend it, that opening third of Ocarina of Time will always be complete crap in my book. It does so much wrong it's hard to even begin talking about it.

The game tries to set up this epic story where you have to save the world from evil, yet nothing really happened and you're just following orders from a tree and a girl who keep insisting "that dude is so evil, believe me!!". There's zero incentive to go out there and actually do something.

The dungeons are super lame, the first one being a super obnoxious tutorial where Navi won't shut up for a single second, the second one being boring as hell in every way, and the third one easily being a contender for worst Zelda dungeon of all time.

The exploration is annoying as hell because you can't get from anywhere to anywhere else without having to go through Hyrule Field on foot, which is about as exciting of an experience as watching paint dry, and even when you do get somewhere chances are you're going to be blocked off because you shouldn't be there yet...

And the game constantly not only hinders your exploration, it hinders your actual progress by telling you to go to the places where you can't progress yet (like telling you to go to Kakariko Village only to find a roadblock that inexplicably can only be solved by going back all the way to Kokiri Forest and learning a stupid song because THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL you can enter the dungeon without using a bomb flower to blow up the entrance, which of course you can't possibly pick up unless you have the specific bracelet (because yeah those look so heavy) and obviously the only possible way you're ever going to get that bracelet is by playing "Specific Forest Song" to "Specific Goron Dude" so he's all happy and just decides to give it to you because). *sigh*

...yeah, that's what real gaming and fun is! The fun thing is being forced to explore the tiniest details and search for the super-specific keys to unlock the super-specific and nonsensical locks that block you from actually doing what you want!

Feels like we played totally different games tbh

Nem said:
In no particular order (but Xeno beeing number 1 if i had to)

Final Fantasy VII
Resident Evil 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & knuckles
Xenogears
Final Fantasy Tactics
Suikoden 2
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2

I like most if your list. I've never played Suikoden 2 or any Suikoden. I have heard it is a great series. 

mZuzek said:
SegataSanshiro said:
A lot of the mechanics in OoT haven't aged all that well. Te game is still very playable and good and was insanely amazing when it came out but best ever? Nah. Not even then. Like FFVII they are both vastly overrated and been bested before and after their release just by titles in their own series. OoT's Z targeting is kinda broken when you consider flying enemies. In fact the concept of Z targeting is dated now and kinda broken. BotW brought 2D Zelda in 3D for the first time really in terms of the world,exploration and combat. OoT took a familiar name but made a different formula which was a different experience. That formula was used more or less until BotW. It took 30 years to truly bring the 2D NES classic into 3D.

I still feel many people still label them best ever just because it was those series first games in 3D and for 20 years both Square & Nintendo keep milking them. Good yes. Great..sure.Best ever...nah.

Agreed with everything you said except the "OoT was a new formula" part. OoT was very much the same game as ALttP just brought into 3D and with a little bit less exploration and a little bit more puzzles... the original NES Zelda though, that style did only just come to life in BotW.

Goodnightmoon said:

Feels like we played totally different games tbh

We probably did, assuming I played 2011 Ocarina of Time and you played 1998 Ocarina of Time.

I tried OoT back in 1998 but it was only for brief moments as it was never mine, the first time I really played it was when i bought the 3ds version and I really don't remember havbing all those problems, in fact I found the beggining pretty magic even if the game does gets better and better later as you say.

Fair enough. I'm going to say BotW or The Last of Us