By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - {Poll added] Name an animated series that rivals Steins:Gate or Rick & Morty?

From the most mentioned....roughly.

One penis. 3 4.41%

Death goat. 12 17.65%

Dull metal Alchemist. 12 17.65%

Samaurai Jackass....gotta get back. 4 5.88%

Cow boy Beatbox 9 13.24%

Attack on Shiten 4 5.88%

Neon Genitals Evangelion. 10 14.71%

Archer...too the knee. 8 11.76%

Gravity balls. 3 4.41%

Baccano....I got nothing for this one. 3 4.41%

Total:68
Goodnightmoon said:
monocle_layton said:
What the hell? RICK AND MORTY?

Your standards must be as low as Reddit's. God's sake mate, I'd even say shows like Courage the Cowardly Dog and Invader Zim (thx Vivster) are way ahead of it.

There are so many cartoons which demolish it.

Courage the Cowardly Dog
Invader Zim
Samurai Jack (season 5 episode 2 beats anything from rick and morty)
Teen Titans
Johnny "Hey Mamma" Bravo

And the list goes on. Johnny Bravo's comedy outweighs Rick and Morty itself imo

Rick and Morty is absolutely brilliant dude, don't talk about low standarts when every of your recomendatios is clearly worse.

Rick and Morty is decent, but it's overhyped. You're missing out if you think those shows (along with many others) are worse than it.

Around the Network
monocle_layton said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Rick and Morty is absolutely brilliant dude, don't talk about low standarts when every of your recomendatios is clearly worse.

Rick and Morty is decent, but it's overhyped. You're missing out if you think those shows (along with many others) are worse than it.

But they are worse, Invader Zim is fun but nowhere close to R&M, some of your recomendations are weird, Johnny Bravo better than R&M... are you serious? 

Nothing tops Steins gate. You should enjoyed Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champion, Outlaw Star and Darker Than Black.

To be cartoon and anime are two different things

Cartoons which i would say are up there
Ducktales
Jetsons
Flintstones
Gargoyles

Anime
One Piece - i only started watching it in 2015 was never into long anime as generally lot of filler crap but One Piece has held out very well. I can see it going forever tbh lol.
Full Metal Alchemist
Cowboy Bebop

these are probably my top three but plenty other worth watching.

Home Movies, Archer, Cowboy Bebop, Sealab 2021, and many more

Around the Network

Bleach is better than all of them. Also thought the Steins;Gate Vita game was pretty crap.

Rob5VGC said:
dahuman said:

You want a good one, Code Gease S1 and S2, S3 is now in the making

You'll notice how bad S2 is when you realize the executive meddling.

The general plot didn't change much so that wasn't so bad, the fake little brother thing was dumb yeah but the second half at least brought the story back on track so overall, it was still good since you were still able to follow the story line without going "wtf is happening?" Understand that these things exist to also make money on top of artistic values much like video games but as long as the direction is not totally fucked up then we'd still end up with a good product. I think some people also complained about the Nightmares which is super dumb considering that's how the Knights of the Round fought to start with. It's not like you can fight those things on foot, you'd die instantly against another Knight.

Simpsons in its prime is up there, as well as South Park, IMO. I don't think any anime tops the DB franchise though.

Edit: I forgot about Archer!!

Sigh, why do people keep bringing up Dragon Ball as a good anime when it's not? The original Toriyama manga is way better, the anime was average at best due to dumb fillers that made no sense, fucked up drawing and animations everywhere. Super is just fan service at best, I literally just skip episodes with Super, even a lot of the fight scenes don't make any god damned sense. I wish Toriyama actually did the story board instead of just coming up with general plots for the anime studio and manga author to do their own shit.

John2290 said:
psychicscubadiver said:
I'll see your Stein's Gate and and raise you a FMA: Brotherhood and Cowboy Bebop.

Dragonball Z is classic, but not necessarily the best. I would easily match it with One Piece.

Why out of all Western animation to include in this topic would you choose garbage like Rick and Morty?

Why would you say Rick is rubbish? It has more dept in narritive and a comedic sense in one of its short episodes than much of telivison, animation or otherwise have in an entire season. It has such dept that two people from completely different subcultures could watch it and take away equal measure in humor and enjoyment with little to no overlap. When a show can go from a serious existential theme one second and toiler humor the next while somehow remaining sharp and intelligent it is a show that deserves to be praised, have you watched this show? It's just fantastic and on top of that it is very, very rewatchable. I can't imagine rewatching Blame, Akira or even steins gate and have such a drastically different take, if even years apart. It is high art in the manner.

I say it's grabage because it is garbage. Rick is just a drunk asshole who spouts cynical bullshit, but 'it's okay, because deep down he actually cares'. They never actually delve into anything deep or existensial; the few times they hint towards that, it's just the setup for a cheap joke. And honestly, I stopped finding toilet humor funny when I was fourteen. There are some good jokes and funny moments; I would be lying if I said there was nothing good about the series. But they are like diamonds in a dung heap.

I watched the entire first season due to a series swap agreement with a friend. He watched the first season of Gravity Falls in exchange for my watching this. I kept my word, but it took a long time and wasn't easy.

So to sum, many series of Western animation are better but I'll mention just a few of the stand-outs: Samurai Jack, Gravity Falls, Batman: The Animated Series, Over the Garden Wall, Teen Titans, Justice League/Justice League Unlimited, Archer, Futurama, and Gargoyles.