By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DF: More Wii U Ports Heading To Switch! Is This A Good Thing?

I'd buy a lot of them just for the sake of portability

Around the Network
collint0101 said:
I'd buy a lot of them just for the sake of portability

This.

I already double dipped BotW and MK8 for that reason.

TallSilhouette said:
I just hope whoever praises these ports wasn't criticizing 8th gen's or vice versa.

I know I never did.  Didn't praise it either, it was just a thing.  There are 2 key differences though:

1) in 2014, when a lot of the most noteworthy ports landed, the PS4 and Xbone really were lacking in new exclusives.  PS4 made up for that quickly in 2015 and Xbone...you know...tried.  But at the time of, say Last of Us Remastered, it seemed they were leaning pretty hard on old games.  Compare this to Nintendo which has 7 major 1st and 2nd party new retail releases (not counting 1,2, Switch or Super Bomberman R) in 10 months, with them becoming more frequent as the year goes, and you can see why one would be more accepting of plugging a few holes with ports.

2) the PS3 sold 80 million, it's safe to say over half the dedicated gaming hardware consumer base had access to its library and even more had access to the multiplats.  Same with the 360.  Meanwhile, the Wii U sold a paltry 13 million, meaning it was in the hands of 10% of the consumer base if even that.  So the argument could be made that PS3 ports were somewhat redundant while Wii U ports give attention to games a lot of gamers never got a chance to even try.

Yeah it is a good thing, I want to play the games that were on Wii U since I never owned one. I'd rather just buy a Switch to do so than buy a Wii U along with a Switch.

I think it was a terrible way to start 8th gen by cramming it with ports, and really showed the lack of preperation for the coming consoles.

I feel the same way for Switch.

Around the Network

I welcome Wii u ports as there are a couple Wii u games I skipped (Bayonetta,Color Splash,Yoshis wooly world) that I'd like to buy and my son broke my smash bros disc a couple of weeks after I bought it So I would buy a switch port of that also.

How come is that a bad thing. Like seriously. It takes fraction of time and money to port the game and if it's a good game, it will sell, easy money. Not to mention it's a bliss for the people who never owned the original system AND every game ported, particularly, to the Switch will get one of the best updates ever ... the portable mode.
By far the most common complaint I hear is "but I already own this game" ... so what? Just don't buy it. No one forces you to do so. If Nintendo releases some port, which somehow will require the other copy of the game *cough* MW remastered *cough*, then we'll talk.

bigtakilla said:
I think it was a terrible way to start 8th gen by cramming it with ports, and really showed the lack of preperation for the coming consoles.

I feel the same way for Switch.

Well Zelda BotW is brand new game, same like ARMS and Splatoon 2, 1-2 Switch and Snipperclips, only remaster for now is MK8D if we talk about Nintendo side.

As a non Wii U owner I say the more ports the better !

Also I'm surprised Digital Foundry didn't mention Xenoblade Chronicles X, I recall their analysis on that game being filled with praise for Monolith and them managing to make such an enormous world that ran at a decent framerate on Wii U

TallSilhouette said:
I just hope whoever praises these ports wasn't criticizing 8th gen's or vice versa.

There were many who did, so turnabout is fair play (those that were salty about the PortStation comments should be ready to taste their won medicine since it is unlikely that they will look at the situation as Nuvendil has.)