By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are game controllers too complicated?

Are game controllers too complicated?

They are too complicated. 16 13.68%

They are perfect as they are. 73 62.39%

They are not complicated enough. 28 23.93%

Total:117

The only controller I had issues with was the Wii+nunchuck. Felt like when playing games that used those controllers were made for right handers while im left handed.

Around the Network
archer9234 said:

Is it really the fault of the buttons. Or that the way Nintendo setup the functions for the button can easily be forgotten/confused. The weapon controls are spread across a lot of stuff. VS it being in one setup.

I think it's the buttons but most people here seem to think they are just fine. I'm not surprised that the Wii was so popular, if I'm finding it confusing, imagine a brand new casual gamer.

Sales prediction, PS4: 122 Million, Xbox one: 50 million, Switch: 105 million. 

Yeah controllers just need a win button.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Signalstar said:
Yeah controllers just need a win button.

Lenny93 said:
archer9234 said:

Is it really the fault of the buttons. Or that the way Nintendo setup the functions for the button can easily be forgotten/confused. The weapon controls are spread across a lot of stuff. VS it being in one setup.

I think it's the buttons but most people here seem to think they are just fine. I'm not surprised that the Wii was so popular, if I'm finding it confusing, imagine a brand new casual gamer.

It's just weird. The only difference with the Wii Remote was it had 3 trigger buttons and not 4. It's still in the same layout. If you lock the two parts together. With the B button being lower. So would the triggers be better lower and rounder on a controller?

Around the Network

I think we should have a few more buttons actually, kind of what the Xbox elite does with the underside of the controller. What distrubs me with Nintendo if the lack of controller settings in many of their games, it would benefit people who want a cetrain setup in games.

archer9234 said:
Lenny93 said:

It's just weird. The only difference with the Wii Remote was it had 3 trigger buttons and not 4. It's still in the same layout. If you lock the two parts together. With the B button being lower. So would the triggers be better lower and rounder on a controller?

Motion controls made it more intuitive.

Puppyroach said:
I think we should have a few more buttons actually, kind of what the Xbox elite does with the underside of the controller. What distrubs me with Nintendo if the lack of controller settings in many of their games, it would benefit people who want a cetrain setup in games.

I'm really amazed by the amount of voters saying they aren't complex enough. For the first time in my life I feel really out of synch with hardcore gamers, I guess I am getting old. It sounds like you guys want the controller equivalent of an RAF cockpit.

I don't think controllers are to complicated but I would say the current layouts are starting to feel a little dated,  I think having the face buttons Is just outdated now as pretty much every game requires you to aim, move the camera or something else with the right analog stick that you have to take your hand of it do do other basic functions which would be better served on the shoulder buttons or back buttons like the Pro/Elite controllers have.

I would hope next gen one of the big companies tries to push this as a standard as it can make controlling so much easier and fun but the majority of players will never know it as most can't justify the big prices of elite controllers where as putting a couple of back buttons on the current controllers in a revision for the next gen consoles wouldn't make production costs much more.

To be honest, I did use to get a little bit mixed up with L1, R1, L2, R2. But after playing for a little bit with games that used those buttons there is no problem.

And frankly you end up being thankful for those extra buttons.