By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are game controllers too complicated?

Are game controllers too complicated?

They are too complicated. 16 13.68%

They are perfect as they are. 73 62.39%

They are not complicated enough. 28 23.93%

Total:117

I've been playing Breath of the Wild and I keep getting confused by the two shoulder buttons on each side of the controller, I remember how easy and intuitive Skyward Sword was and I pine for those days. What do you guys and girls think?

Sales prediction, PS4: 122 Million, Xbox one: 50 million, Switch: 105 million. 

Around the Network

Too complicated for casuals, yes.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Only if you're missing fingers.

vivster said:
Too complicated for casuals, yes.

I've been playing games since the 80's, maybe I'm just getting old but I feel adding the extra shoulder buttons was a step too far.

Sales prediction, PS4: 122 Million, Xbox one: 50 million, Switch: 105 million. 

If my casual gamer girlfriend can play RE5, then they are not too complicated!

Around the Network

As long as everythings symmetrical, I'm happy

Predicted 15+ million lifetime-sales for God of War:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=234612&page=1

I think with the amount of actions and various things you can do on videoGames now, that all company's (Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo) have dona good job of keeping controllers simple with as minimal buttons as possible.

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

If anything, I'd like it if there were more buttons for some rarely used functions. Of course they'd have to be placed very smartly so they don't confuse players, but I'm sure they could be fit in somewhere. Anyway, nothing wrong with the shoulder buttons if they're utilized properly. It could probably be pretty confusing if you'd have to use several of them constantly, but usually you're using one or two constantly and the other two only occassionally.

*Looks at PS controller 20 years ago then looks at PS controller now*

I'm going to say, no. I mean the track pad is used more as just another button and the 'track' part is rarely used or not at all in most games.

Hmm, pie.

No, not for me. They're just fine. PC games that use a keyboard can have even more buttons than that.