By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Master analyst, Michael Pachter, predicts that Switch will not sell near Wii.

Switch outselling Wii confirmed

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network

Pachter is on record many times over as saying he doesn't "predict" things, he makes assumptions.

It's his job to make these assumptions in order to best advise Wedbush Morgan associated investors on how the market will develop.

We're always free to fully ignore the assumptions he makes.

Patcher is never right with his wild claims, only when it is something safe like Switch outselling Xbox One this year (everyone can see that). How he become the industry's most reputable analyst I have no clue. He is a fanboy of his own design and throws doomsday scenarios to whatever side he wants to fail at a given moment. He said once that Nintendo would never recover from the Wii U failure, that handhelds alone wouldn't be enough to keep them afloat. Someone needs to collect all his claims and weigh them out. There are forum members here that are better predictors and we don't even get paid to make them. 

So so sick of hearing about Pachter. The only topic worth talking about when he makes a claim is Patcher himself and even then it should be ignored.

JRPGfan said:
VAMatt said:
I'll bet $50 to charity that Switch will not outsell the Wii. Any takers?

If nintendo had left out the HD rumble stuff,... and maybe sold it like 50$ cheaper right from the start, and not run into production issues, I think Id have taken that bet. As is, Im not sure it will actually hit 100m.

TheBraveGallade said:
if people say ps4 can do it the switch definetly can.

Its the go to choice for so many games, 3rd party ect.  It has 1,750 games or something atm.

It launched in a time where Wii U looked dead, Xbox fumbled, and PS4 was doing basically all the right moves.

Also

PS4slim = 1,840 Gflops + uncharted 4 + 500GB HDD for 264$ (amazon price)

Switch Grey = 150/397 Gflops + no game + 32GB storage for 419$ (amazon price)

Its just good value, compaired to the switch too, unless your really buying the Switch to own a handheld... then the 2in1 factor makes up for some of it.

That is why the PS4 will go onto do 100m. It has the highest value (performance/$) of all 3 options (switch,ps4,xb1) and the biggest library of new games.

The funny thing is even with that price, power, storage and games, Switch is what is selling the highest on Amazon right now. So imagine when Switch gets to 3-4 years in it's life cycle, no shortages, with a massive games list full of exclusives and games that can only be played on the go on Switch, a price much lower than it is now, $199 likely by that stage should be easy even if it is a future revision designed to be cheaper like the slim.

That is why the Switch has every potential to go on to do 100 million. The PS5 and Xbox Two will be out at that stage having to start all over from scratch, with a brand new high price tag of a newly launched system, so then that could keep the Switch looking appealing until it's successor, although to be quite honest I don't even see a only home console system affecting it's sales that much as well as vice versa.

Do I think it will do 100 million? No. But if you haven't learned by now when it comes to Nintendo's consoles that anything is possible, you are crazy.

I agree with that. I don't think the Switch will outsell the Wii. It's certainly possible that it will, but that's an outside chance at best in my opinion. It could happen, but I doubt it will. The Switch will still sell very well, just not over 100 million units.

Around the Network

I'm not impressed with the games or the performance level so far and certainly not at the current price but its clear many people are and I think it will only get more appealing with time as the price drops and games are bundled and the thing that willl make the Switch more appealing 'true portability' is going to be achievable within the next year or so with a future revision. It just seems to me a product line that will only get better. Against that I think consumers have an unrealistic view of its performance level and don't realise it will have a limited library of games or inferior versions of existing games. At the moment there are still many people it seems that believe it is comparable to ps4 and xbox one in performance or just very slightly below them.

Well... sales have dropped to the 100ks weekly according to this site. I think Nintendo systems are frontloaded, so i think it still has much to prove. Even 50m sounds overly optimistic to me.

Well, that means it will outsell Wii easily.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Nem said:
Well... sales have dropped to the 100ks weekly according to this site. I think Nintendo systems are frontloaded, so i think it still has much to prove. Even 50m sounds overly optimistic to me.

150k, you mean? While still being supply constrained? Btw they promised bigger shipments from Splatoon 2 onwards.

Btw, PS4 had many sub 200k weeks on its first year too. And how are Nintendo systems frontloaded? It only happened with Wii U, all other systems peaked at their 3rd or 4th years. 

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

So the switch will sell shittons

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS