By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft is deserving of praise, not criticism, for XBox 1 not having many exclusives

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Sonys exclusives are the gateway between the west and the east. One of the least friendly places to get jrpg ports these days. Most of my PC friends who love anime have PlayStation and Nintendo for that reason. They find Xbox to be redundant because it makes no bones about the fact the Xbox one is a is a steam box for their PC endeavors. Microsoft is making it so soon you won't need an Xbox if you don't want it. All you have to do is get an elite controller and invest in Windows 10. That's the real goal... what they've always wanted to do.

Most of mine are mainly PC based with a Nintendo system handheld or home on the side, but they are finding it easier to get a hold of Japanese titles on PC these days.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
The_BlackHeart__ said:
I'll deal you one better. I also buy consoles for exclusives.

But I haven't felt the need to either get an XBoxOne or use the Windows Store this entire year.

Apparently CupHead will come out on Steam as well. Has anyone used the Windows Store this 2017?

I have!

Forza Horizon 3 + Expansion Pass (Blizzard Mountain + Hot Wheels)... most addictive racing game I've played for years!

Also Dead Rising 4 Deluxe Edition for 10 bucks in January due to a pricing error. ;)

Darashiva said:
I'm fine with them releasing their games on PC as well, but I think the issue may be that when Microsoft does that it takes away the justification for getting and Xbox One. Personally, I have no reason whatsoever to ever buy one since I can play whatever games I want on PC instead.

It does offset one area. The people who have more willpower, will actually buy games now. VS them saying "I just want this one game. I'm not buying a Xbox for this." They still lose customers regardless. I never bought a Xbox console. I just want Halo games from MS. I'm not buying a console for one series. So I never played past H2.

PEEPer0nni said:
vivster said:

Read my first comment. Console gamers have been conditioned to love their brand overlords. They don't see anything wrong with exclusives and are even demanding it. That's why sales do not reflect consumer friendly behavior. I mean look at the richest companies in this world, most of which behave like complete assholes to both consumers and competitors.

I mean look at you, actively trying to justify paid online. They got you too.

And pc gamers are conditioned to love DRM with their Lord Gaben talk.

uh no were aren't?.

I use GoG as much as I've used Steam and other clients out there.

Praise Gaben though

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Mr Puggsly said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Microsoft cannot be compared to Sony in output. Microsoft scouted bungie for halo while in development and they funded gears to keep it exclusive for years.its only recently become their ip. This is why I say they cannot replace them. You have to have high calibur developers to do that. I would love for them to increase the size of the coalition and have them work on two projects at a time like naughty dog. The coalition has developers from proven studios in it (ontop of the gears devs). The coalition has the pedigree to be bigger than 343 as 343 is only tasked to maintain halo. That's the very thing bungie wouldn't do, ironically.

god of war isn't being rebooted btw... It's a continuation. Looks like kratos is passing the torch to his son. I would've loved to get a Deimos game but we can't always get what we want. I trust Sony santamonica though.

as for the new ip... since when has Sony ever given reason for people to question their ability to make them? We can debate the quality but not the potential. We still have to see what suckerpunch is doing too. Sonys list of successful ips are only growing and now have a unified expression that brings identity of what Sony wants to convey to the masses. They need to work on their co op experiences though. 

Yeah, this new God of War is basically a reboot. I know the BS speak you read, but this is using the same old IP for sales reasons. At best they crowbarred some excuse to make this a successor.

Sony makes new IPs, but they aren't always hits. This is why we get a God of War, Gran Turismo Sport, etc. I'm suggesting making new IPs doesn't mean you have retrie the old successful ones.

MS has been apart of new IPs this gen, they just haven't had much luck. But we ignore Sony's failures because some succeed.

This god of war is not a reboot. It's a continuation, that's like saying the next karate kid wasn't a sequel just because they replaced the main character. Mr. Miyagi was still there so no dice. Someone still has to learn to wax on and wax off. The karate kid with jaden smith was a reboot. God of war 4 will explain what happened in God of war 3 as to why Kratos arrived in the land of Norse mythology.

As for why Sony keeps God of war, I believe Sony is the only brand that has a first party hack n slash. This is probably kept around for the sake of diversity. Sony can keep and make new ips. That's what makes them different from Microsoft. Their internal studio made god of war.

microsofts failures have nothing to do with a lack of luck but a obvious disinterest in investing in making a fleet of internal studios they can depends on. Am I happy micorsoft is investing in ips next gen with Spencer, but I'd be damned if I didn't get pissed when I heard they commissioned devs again after closing one first party ip made by a third party. Every last sentence we've heard from Spencer his gen is we have to find another developer. You're the head of one of the divisions of the bigger company on planet earth. Make your own team and fill it up with a list talent. It's so easy to scout other people's games and publish and market the game so it doesn't go into your completions platform. They did the same damn thing with bioware. I was hoping micorsoft would just bite the bullet and buy bioware, but no...now we've got EA owning them. At the end of the day maybe that's for the best. Microsoft has had leadership over creatively expressing and expanding  game development so we probably wouldn't have gotten an anthem in the same vein as bungie with destiny. Bungie had to leave Microsoft to make that happen. This is why building their own studios is best.

Around the Network

sure... I guess anyone should be praised for selling you exklusive hardware and/or services without exclusive software because if there's one thing we need, it's another provider (re)selling already avaliabe stuff in a new package. damn those who actually put recources into creating new stuff.

MS just needs to attempt to make more games. And not just focus on one hit wonders out of the gate. Some games like Blue Dragon should of gotten a sequel to see if there was better demand. Build that audience. Since they didn't try past the first one. The property just died off over a decade ago. It shouldn't matter that the game didn't get JPN to buy the console. It was a nearly a million seller. Try one more time for the whole world. But no, they love to just dump games.

Pemalite said:
Azuren said:

I'm not talking about brands, I'm talking about specific platforms.

The platforms are under the brands unbrella. It holds true regardless of platform. So pick and choose. I don't care.

Okay. I'll still run with PS4/PC/3DS being the best combo.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

SegataSanshiro said:
Azuren said:

Cheapest new ones on the market are in the $150~ range. If you found one for $70, odds are it's either used, broken, a random no-name brand, or is actually a normal Blu-ray player with a "4K upscaler".

Still, most people agree with me that if they're gonna get a 4K player, it may as well also be a game console.

A quick search on Amazon is all it took and both of those were Samsung brand. New.

The J6300 from Samsung isn't a UHD player, despite the claim on Amazon. It's a UHD upscaler for normal Blu-rays.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

For reference, 4 years in last gen (same amount of years in for the current gen), I had a 360. Why should I praise MS for a console I don't have any interest in buying this gen? Sure, I wouldn't buy a PC just to play some Xbox exclusives, but where is the diversity MS had last gen?