By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
CaptainExplosion said:
Wyrdness said:

Having checked it does list April 8th as the release date for AW on Switch eShop.

And that's the same as the physical release date, right?

Why would physical release later?

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
Kakadu18 said:

Why would physical release later?

I don't know, I was wondering if Nintendo would do that for whatever reason.

The last time I think that happened was with Wii Fit for the Wii U, and I think that's because of issues with physical production of the accessory. Doubt it would be the case here. Most likely scenario is that the intern who was supposed to update the website were asleep at the wheel or that the eShop updated too early. 

Hoping it's out by May. Hopefully going to be going to Disney World around that time, and I like to have a fresh game to keeping me occupied. Something turn based like Advance Wars is perfect. Kirby is also a good candidate but I don't think I can wait two months for that one.

Pokemon Legends is getting mostly positive reviews. My little brother pushed me to get this one. Seems to me like a fun side series that will hopefully continue alongside the main series. But I also hope that even if they take some things from Arceus and put them into the mainline, they don't take too much. Have something simple for younger/new fans to get into, and those looking for something with more depth can play the Legends series.

It seems the Switch 2 could be as late as Christmas 2024, so a Switch lifetime of 7.5 years. This could turn into another Wii drama with aged hardware being dragged on way too long. So far Nintendo has no competition in the mobile space but who wants to buy a device with a mobile chip from 2015 in 2024? PS5 proved that a new iteration can take over from a high selling predecessor seamlessly.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2022/01/analyst-predicts-2024-release-date-for-next-gen-nintendo-switch-successor

numberwang said:

It seems the Switch 2 could be as late as Christmas 2024, so a Switch lifetime of 7.5 years. This could turn into another Wii drama with aged hardware being dragged on way too long. So far Nintendo has no competition in the mobile space but who wants to buy a device with a mobile chip from 2015 in 2024? PS5 proved that a new iteration can take over from a high selling predecessor seamlessly.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2022/01/analyst-predicts-2024-release-date-for-next-gen-nintendo-switch-successor

The Wii's problem was less about the age of the system and more about the fact that software completely dried up. In 2011, there was Kirby's Return to Dreamland, Skyward Sword and basically nothing else. Despite this, sales were relatively healthy in 2011, with 11.5 million units sold. Mario Party 9 was the only meaningful new release in 2012 (plus Xenoblade for the US), and then the Wii U came out and Nintendo stopped trying to sell Wiis, because they wanted to focus on their new machines.

In contrast, you can look at the DS. In its 6th full year on the market it still had decent support (Pokemon White in Japan, Heart Gold and Soul Silver on DS, Pokemon Ranger, Spirit Tracks and Dragon Quest 9) and it kept selling. And, the hardware for that was dated from the start. Even into its seventh year, it still had respectable sales. 

Anyone who really cares that much about the chipset probably isn't all that interested in the Switch. In terms of its chipset, its been dated since day one, yet it's still selling. It's about games. If they're not trying to launch a new console and a handheld line as they were in 2012, there's no reason to expect the sales trajectory to be similar.

Around the Network
numberwang said:

The Wii's problem was less about the age of the system and more about the fact that software completely dried up. In 2011, there was Kirby's Return to Dreamland, Skyward Sword and basically nothing else. Despite this, sales were relatively healthy in 2011, with 11.5 million units sold. Mario Party 9 was the only meaningful new release in 2012 (plus Xenoblade for the US), and then the Wii U came out and Nintendo stopped trying to sell Wiis, because they wanted to focus on their new machines.

In contrast, you can look at the DS. In its 6th full year on the market it still had decent support (Pokemon White in Japan, Heart Gold and Soul Silver on DS, Pokemon Ranger, Spirit Tracks and Dragon Quest 9) and it kept selling. And, the hardware for that was dated from the start. Even into its seventh year, it still had respectable sales. 

Anyone who really cares that much about the chipset probably isn't all that interested in the Switch. In terms of its chipset, its been dated since day one, yet it's still selling. It's about games. If they're not trying to launch a new console and a handheld line as they were in 2012, there's no reason to expect the sales trajectory to be similar.

The Wii's 6th year featured Fortune Street (a weird monopoly/Dragon Quest/Mario mash up), Kirby's Return to Dreamland (a pretty decent 2D Kirby Game), Mario and Sonic at the Olympics, Mario Sports Mix, and Skyward Sword. Assuming everything comes out on time and nothing new is announced, the Swtich will have Pokemon Legends, Advance Wars Reboot, Bayonetta 3, Kirby and the Forgotten Land, Splatoon 3, and Breath of the Wild 2 (plus maybe Mario and Rabbids). Nintendo tends to announce new games as the year progresses. We did not know about Metroid Dread, Mario Party Superstars, Wario Ware, or Skyward Sword HD until about June. But even if nothing else comes to the Switch, its lineup is vastly superior to what the Wii was getting at the time, so really not the same situation.

numberwang said:

JWeinCom beat to it regarding the Wii, but as to who would buy a graphically dated system, more than 7 million people bought a 3DS with a GPU from 2006 in 2016.

Graphics just aren't that big a deal to the average consumer. Look at the huge success of games like Minecraft, Among Us, Fortnite, or the recent Pokémon titles in spite of their simplistic visuals.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 26 January 2022

CaptainExplosion said:
JWeinCom said:

The Wii's 6th year featured Fortune Street (a weird monopoly/Dragon Quest/Mario mash up), Kirby's Return to Dreamland (a pretty decent 2D Kirby Game), Mario and Sonic at the Olympics, Mario Sports Mix, and Skyward Sword. Assuming everything comes out on time and nothing new is announced, the Swtich will have Pokemon Legends, Advance Wars Reboot, Bayonetta 3, Kirby and the Forgotten Land, Splatoon 3, and Breath of the Wild 2 (plus maybe Mario and Rabbids). Nintendo tends to announce new games as the year progresses. We did not know about Metroid Dread, Mario Party Superstars, Wario Ware, or Skyward Sword HD until about June. But even if nothing else comes to the Switch, its lineup is vastly superior to what the Wii was getting at the time, so really not the same situation.

So Ninty just has to keep pumping out good games every year possible for the rest of the Switch lifetime and the Switch 2's lifetime? Can't be that hard. ^^

Well, sales could go down either way. I'm not completely dismissing the effects of older hardware, although I think it has less to do with the graphics, and more to do with it being less shiny and new. But, better lineup=better sales seems like a pretty solid bet.

Kakadu18 said:
zorg1000 said:

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/advance-wars-1-plus-2-re-boot-camp-switch/

On the Switch it says April 8th.

Interesting, kinda weird that their website and eshop don’t say the same thing

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Yeah I'd also be more than happy to wait til 2024 for the next system. I'm loving the Switch so much I am in no rush at all for it to end.

If I wanted graphics I'd built a gaming PC. What matters to me are the games, and with the likes of BOTW2, Bayonetta 3, Kirby and the Forgotten Land, Splatoon 3, etc waiting in the wings, Switch's future looks bright.