By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

BREAKING: Capcom announces Switch concole exclusive!

All you people that complained about Capcom's Switch support, you can apologise now.

Around the Network

Chart showing lifetime sales (ranked by dollars) in USA:

Simultaneously shows how strong Nintendo games perform and also how, and possibly why, third party support is so bad. They can't compete for the limited wallets of people on that system. Don't know where pokemon would be if they combined them. But GO Mario Party!!! Also Surprised to see Mario+Rabbids above NSMBU.

Also 3ds:

Barkley said:

Chart showing lifetime sales (ranked by dollars) in USA:

Simultaneously shows how strong Nintendo games perform and also how, and possibly why, third party support is so bad. They can't compete for the limited wallets of people on that system. Don't know where pokemon would be if they combined them. But GO Mario Party!!! Also Surprised to see Mario+Rabbids above NSMBU.

Also 3ds:

Third parties do not need to sell as well as Mario or Pokemon to be profitable though.

Doom sold like half a million physical on Switch, but that was evidently enough for it to be worth their while following up with Doom Eternal. Ports like Crash and Skyrim sold over a million, which is far more than is needed for conversions like those to turn a profit. April NPD lists Mortal Kombat 11, a third party game, as the best selling Switch title of the month. Octopath Traveler did so well that Square opened a new division for the purpose of making Switch games.

curl-6 said:

Third parties do not need to sell as well as Mario or Pokemon to be profitable though.

Doom sold like half a million physical on Switch, but that was evidently enough for it to be worth their while following up with Doom Eternal. Ports like Crash and Skyrim sold over a million, which is far more than is needed for conversions like those to turn a profit. April NPD lists Mortal Kombat 11, a third party game, as the best selling Switch title of the month. Octopath Traveler did so well that Square opened a new division for the purpose of making Switch games.

Yes they can be profitable, but they're also not profitable enough for companies like EA to release a Fifa that isn't half-arsed. There is profit to be had on the system for third parties, but not BIG profit and as such it'll never come close to the support the other systems get.

Personally I don't really care, I buy a Nintendo system for Nintendo games and PC is currently where I play third parties. It's just an interesting thing to ponder, if Nintendo games didn't do as well, would third party games have more of a chance? But then again if Nintendo games didn't do as well the system probably wouldn't sell? It's a weird chicken and egg situation Nintendo have gotten into.

Barkley said:

Yes they can be profitable, but they're also not profitable enough for companies like EA to release a Fifa that isn't half-arsed. There is profit to be had on the system for third parties, but not BIG profit and as such it'll never come close to the support the other systems get.

Personally I don't really care, I buy a Nintendo system for Nintendo games and PC is currently where I play third parties. It's just an interesting thing to ponder, if Nintendo games didn't do as well, would third party games have more of a chance? But then again if Nintendo games didn't do as well the system probably wouldn't sell? It's a weird chicken and egg situation Nintendo have gotten into.

No companies like EA don't want to commit because they can't pull their usual shenanigans on Nintendo platforms this is why the third party situation is the way it is because Nintendo do what they want not what others demand this is why big publishers and Nintendo are often at odds because what the former wants is an ecosystem that suits only them but the latter doesn't budge. This is why a Nintendo console with high power like what the competition go for was never going to change the situation even Sony who have owed their success to third party support recognized the risk of giving in to third parties during the PS3 era where even though they weren't avoided by third parties the whole paid exclusivity deals MS engineered showed that at any point they have to create strong first parties with high selling power because at any moment support can change on a whim and this gen with the PS4 first party performance has shown it has paid off.

Third parties like EA want a market where they sell you bits of the game as dlc and microtransactions while you pay a subscription to be able to continue playing it with no chance of refunds and so on as end of the day you as the gamer aren't the customer to them the investor who only cares about money is and what's stopping them from their goal is the current ecosystem of gaming, mobile is a crowded market, PC gamers would fight tooth and nail against it which leaves mainly the console market which is subject to the platform holder's decisions on hardware and performance. EA for one are notoriously narrow minded this is the same company that as Rol mention banked on the computer market back in the 80s only to be forced to develop for consoles and then in the early 00s wrote off the PC market as dead only for Steam to arrive a few years later and become the de facto market for PC gaming leaving EA envious as Valve essentially did what they dreamed of for decades which was create and have a monopoly.

Around the Network

Breath of the Wild in the top 3 and above Mario Odyssey

Interesting that Super Mario Party is above Splatoon 2.

Barkley said:
curl-6 said:

Again though, even if support isn't as good as what PS4/Xbone get, there's still room for third party games to find success on Switch, and quite a few of them have. 

And I don't think there's anything to ponder as far the second paragraph; without Nintendo's mega-sellers, the hardware simply would not sell, and they'd be install base for third parties to sell to, simple as that.

John Vignocchi; former Vice Preisdent of Disney Interactive, creative director on Disney Infinity, and former producer at Gearbox, is now working at Nintendo and is in charge of third party relationships.

Ice Climbers got inadvertently buffed the new patch gave them a new bit of tech they can now use the game's buffering system to store desyncs, they also so far hold the unique position of being probably the only character to gain new tech every patch.

Yeesh, fired up my Wii U for the first time in a long time to play some BOTW and was stunned by just how slow and inconvenient its OS is now that I'm used to the snappy user-friendliness of the Switch.

It's weird, I know over a dozen people who own BOTW, but I am the only one who has it for Wii U.