By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo First Party Software Problems

DélioPT said:
KrspaceT said:

If I would have to take a guess it's because Yoshi and Kirby are pre E3 2018 releases. Fire Emblem Switch is probably post E3 2018. 

Those two titles also are massive hype builders, and I am somewhat sure that the Pokemon announcement was made in response to the backlash post Ultra Sun and Moon

I don't know about Kirby and Yoshi, but given that there has been zero promotion of FE, i would agree that FE will arrive in the second half of 2018.

I know people expected Pokemon for Switch, but it was nothing like Federation Force.
I think they just wanted to have that announcement for E3. 
A bad decision if you ask me as that type of "we are making one, btw" announcement could have been easily made in the Pokemon Direct.

It was arguably announced due to the so-called backlash of the Pokémon Direct. Regardless though, saying that a core RPG Pokémon game is being developed alone can cause big waves. You're talking about the second best-selling franchise in the history of video games (behind Mario) and a system seller. And made by Game Freak, which is huge because they develop the mainline games while mostly leaving the spinoffs to external partners. It's like The Rock being announced for a guest appearance for RAW, people will get excited.

Around the Network
friendlyfamine said:
DélioPT said:

Project Octopath Traveler - no release date given
New Retro game - not announced and no release date given
No More Heroes - no release date given
Pikmin 4 - no release date given (latest comment: "it's progressing")
SMT - announced for 2018
FE - announced for 2018

So, you have 3 1st party games and 1 3rd party game announced for 2018.

Also, remember this thread was about 1st party games.

By that logic, Xbox is the epitome of that problem. Honestly, why does it concern you so much that only 2 first party games have a 2018 release date? We're only halfway through this year (2017) and you're already jumping to the conclusion that there's a "problem" with 2018? We've seen already that Nintendo will eventually deliver on first party IP, as all their studios are pretty much working together to make games for this system. Out of the blue, there could be an Animal Crossing game, a Smash port, Mario Maker 2/port, the list prolongs. Pikmin 4 and Fire Emblem 2018 are definitely going to be for 2018, as Pikmin 4 has been "almost finished" since 2015. It's likely going to be revealed in a Nintendo Direct.

Just wait, please. This discussion is way too early.  You're probably too exercised by Sony's 2018 delays to have such discussion. Nintendo doesn't operate like that, sometimes they announce a game a few months before release. Sony doesn't do that.

Killzone, Knack, MLB 14, LittleBigPlanet 3, Bloodborne, MLB 15, Ratcher and Clank, MLB 16, MLB 17, Uncharted The Lost Legacy, Knack 2 all took a few months from announcement to release. That's not counting the remasters and such like TLOU Reamster, Nathan Drake Collection, Heavy rain, Beyond Two Souls, God of War III, etc.

MS also has titles that released a few months after being announced like Ryse, Forza 5, Forza horizon 2, Forza 6, Forza Horizon 3, Rare Replay, Forza 7, Super Lucky's Tale.

It tends to happen more for the lauch window titles cause they're announced when the console is shown off or the E3 right after the console is shown off. Don't expect the same trend to continue beyond that, there will still be some game that announce so close to the announcements but not with the same regularity as they do at the beginning. 

DélioPT said:
Miyamotoo said:

You don't know that, Nintendo did not specify any release date or year, they just said Switch Pokemon will need more than a year, holiday 2018. is almost 1.5 year from E3 2017.

Lol, I now remember, we already had this arguins. E3 proved you were wrong, they did were talking about some 2018. games even some games that could be beyond 2018. despite they said E3 while focused for 2017. It very clear, but you still asks why!? They could revele hole 2018. lineup but they didnt of course because they don't need, same like they did not need reveal hole Switch 2017. linuep in January event, or they didnt reveal Switch year before launch...

But why they announced Pokemon and Metroid!? It's very obvious, after Pokemon announcement for 3DS, people are asking for Pokemon Switch and they feared there isn't Pokemon for Switch, Nintendo just give confirmation that there is Pokemon Switch in development. Fans were asking Metroid Prime for years, and if they did announced just 3DS Metroid game, fans would angry, again Nintendo just gave confirmation for Metroid fans.

So no, we don't have any bad signs for 2018. we are just in middle of 2017. and we already have 3-5 announced games that will be released in 2018.

But that's exactly it: no date was given for 2 out of 4 games.
I don't know how much it takes to develop a new generation Pokemon game, but i know that if it's in HD it will take longer than usual.

I think you don't remember well our last conversation.

I always thought they were going to show 2018 games; I complained that their focus on 2017 games for the presentation was not necessary and they should show more of 2018  games.
You always said that focus on 2017 was expected as they are only focuses on the short term (unlike Sony, as the example you used several times).

If anything, E3 proved you wrong on how "focus" was meant to be read and how Nintendo wasn't just going to use Spotlight to focus on games coming 2017.

Do you really think Nintendo would just prepare that Pokemon announcement because some fans were upset that the Pokemon games announced weren't for Switch, or that they hadn't this planned for a long time?
I could even agree that the Metroid announcement was to please some fans. But still, it's really hard to not think they could have done the "wait for it" like they did some time ago (regarding Metroid). Also, people were very pleased with the 3DS game and if that was it, i doubt we would see an outrage like we saw with Federation Force.

Again, when you plan E3 the way it was planned you do raise questions (again).
Those 2 non 2018 announcements weren't necessary.

They didnt show anything for those games, they just confirmed they are in development, most likely they want propore revile with trailer and they will give year of release. But that doenst mean they will not be relased in 2018. esapcily that said Switch Pokemon will need more than a year, holiday 2018. is almost 1.5 year from E3 2017. Yoshi and Kirby had full trailer and year of release and they will almost certain be released in 1st half of 2018. (before E3 2018.).

Thats point, E3 that's focused on 2017. games did not stopped them to show some 2018. games even to announce some games that will be released maybe beyond 2018.

I was right, focus was on 2017. games with few announcement of games that will be released outside 2017.

Its not point only about upset fans, but point that they wanted that after Pokemon 3DS announcement to be sure that Pokemon is in development for Switch, most likely we can't hear anything about that game until next year. Its similar story for Metroid Prime 4 ananucment, and actualy Regie talked about that, how Metroid Prime "is a franchise that we know people have been very eager to get some news". People were very pleased because they are getting 2D and 3DS Metroid, you can bet that people would be angry if there was Metroid 3D announcement with just remaster of 2D Metroid. E3 media measure numbers show that Metroid Prime 4 announcement one of biggest news of E3, Metroid Prime fans literally cried. :D

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1392441

Nintendo done great job with E3, and nobody really question their E3, Pokemon and Metroid Prime 4 announcement are totally logical because reasons I mention. Again, fact is taht you dont know if those game are 2018. games or not, Nintendo didn't said anything about year of releases, only fact we have they said Switch Pokemon will need more than a year of development and holiday 2018. perfectly fits that info.

What Reigge said is really answer on lotsa things you dont understand or you dont want to understand:

You know, for us, we believe that having hands-on opportunity married to an announcement is really the best way to do it,” Fils-Aime told IGN. “And so let’s take Super Mario Odyssey for example. We could have announced it months ago, but we weren’t yet ready, the team wasn’t ready, to show it and to let the consumer really understand visually how the hat mechanic works, how the capture mechanic comes into play. And so that’s how we think these through.”

For certain games, games that will be in development for, let’s call it a decent amount of time, like Metroid Prime 4 -- also, given that it’s a franchise that we know people have been very eager to get some news -- that’s when, fine, we’ll share it. We’ll share it early,” Fils-Aime added. “Others, we want to hold closer in and reveal it when the gameplay is going to be available. It literally is game by game, title by title, how we make that decision.”

http://adria.ign.com/metroid-prime-4/15729/news/najava-za-metroid-4-je-dosla-prerano-reggie-nam-je-rekao-zas

My biggest issue with Nintendo, is that if the series isn't Pokemon, Mario, Zelda, or Kirby -there's no guarantee there'll be an entry for 5-10yrs

Bajablo said:
NawaiNey said:

No one cares about you not caring. Fact is Nintendo had the least amount of games and has the lowest average score for it's top games. Had the least amount of 90+ games, least amount of 80+ games. Had the least amount of successful IPs, and by far the least amount of New IPs successful or otherwise. I understand that there are people like you who love everything Nintendo and don't care for anything by anyone else, but barring that kind of biasedness, there's no way to argue againt the fact that Nintendo has the worst first party games.

you say the make bad games at first.. now you switch over to number of games released.. what is it, quality or numbers?

It's about both, you can't make a couple really good games and then sit on your laurels, and you can't just make a lot of terrible games and say "oh well atleast we tried". You need a steady stream of quality titles to have a successful console that people will buy and remember fondly.

Around the Network
DélioPT said:

Nintendo a really good year with Zelda, MK8, Splatoon 2 and Mario.
The rest, despite being good to great titles are not system sellers. At least there's nothing pointing in that direction.

So your concern is that they have just 4 system sellers in the first 8 months after launch? 

NawaiNey said:

It's about both, you can't make a couple really good games and then sit on your laurels, and you can't just make a lot of terrible games and say "oh well atleast we tried". You need a steady stream of quality titles to have a successful console that people will buy and remember fondly.

Absolutely correct. Kind of like how SIE didn't rest on their laurels when they created MLB the Show 07. They went right on with The Show 08 and the Show 09.

I remember falling out of my chair, giddy with anticipation, when they ran that trailer for MLB the Show 10.

specialk said:
NawaiNey said:

Absolutely correct. Kind of like how SIE didn't rest on their laurels when they created MLB the Show 07. They went right on with The Show 08 and the Show 09.

I remember falling out of my chair, giddy with anticipation, when they ran that trailer for MLB the Show 10.

That's how Sports titles work...They get a new entry every year. MLB The Show is also arguably the best sports games out there.

It's amazing how they manage to make them so fast, while Nintendo will take years to make a Mario Kart and then port the same one over to their next console cause making a new game would be too much work and resources, and they'd rather keep that money in the bank so their fans can brag about how much money their favorite corporation has in the bank like they get a cut from it.

NawaiNey said:
specialk said:

That's how Sports titles work...They get a new entry every year. MLB The Show is also arguably the best sports games out there.

It's amazing how they manage to make them so fast, while Nintendo will take years to make a Mario Kart and then port the same one over to their next console cause making a new game would be too much work and resources, and they'd rather keep that money in the bank so their fans can brag about how much money their favorite corporation has in the bank like they get a cut from it.

Is that a bad thing? New installments for certain games are fine releasing every couple of years, as some of them like Mario Kart have great replay value. Games that do yearly releases give me burn out, actually.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

NawaiNey said:

rofl