By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo First Party Software Problems

friendlyfamine said:
DélioPT said:

Project Octopath Traveler - no release date given
New Retro game - not announced and no release date given
No More Heroes - no release date given
Pikmin 4 - no release date given (latest comment: "it's progressing")
SMT - announced for 2018
FE - announced for 2018

So, you have 3 1st party games and 1 3rd party game announced for 2018.

Also, remember this thread was about 1st party games.

By that logic, Xbox is the epitome of that problem. Honestly, why does it concern you so much that only 2 first party games have a 2018 release date? We're only halfway through this year (2017) and you're already jumping to the conclusion that there's a "problem" with 2018? We've seen already that Nintendo will eventually deliver on first party IP, as all their studios are pretty much working together to make games for this system. Out of the blue, there could be an Animal Crossing game, a Smash port, Mario Maker 2/port, the list prolongs. Pikmin 4 and Fire Emblem 2018 are definitely going to be for 2018, as Pikmin 4 has been "almost finished" since 2015. It's likely going to be revealed in a Nintendo Direct.

Just wait, please. This discussion is way too early.  You're probably too exercised by Sony's 2018 delays to have such discussion. Nintendo doesn't operate like that, sometimes they announce a game a few months before release. Sony doesn't do that.

From some reason he thinks that in middle of 2017. we need to know most of Nintendo Switch 2018. lineup in order that he doesn't think there is some kind of problem with 2018. lineup while totally ignoring fact how Nintendo for instance announced most of Switch 2017. lineup in January or how Nintendo announces Pokemon Tournament DX and Mario Rabbids just few months before launch. I guess he also thought in 2016. that Switch 2017. lineup has some kind of problem, or in middle of 2018. after E3 he will think that 2019. Switch lineup looks like there is some kind of problem. :D

Around the Network

For what it's worth, I rather like MLB The Show. It's the best baseball game, hands down.

I don't consider it a boon to the PlayStation library that I have to pay $60 each year to play with the most current rosters though. That's silly.

MLB the Show is one good game in my mind. It isn't 8 or 9 good games.

Cloudman said:
NawaiNey said:

That's how Sports titles work...They get a new entry every year. MLB The Show is also arguably the best sports games out there.

It's amazing how they manage to make them so fast, while Nintendo will take years to make a Mario Kart and then port the same one over to their next console cause making a new game would be too much work and resources, and they'd rather keep that money in the bank so their fans can brag about how much money their favorite corporation has in the bank like they get a cut from it.

Is that a bad thing? New installments for certain games are fine releasing every couple of years, as some of them like Mario Kart have great replay value. Games that do yearly releases give me burn out, actually.

Yearly entries for sports games are the standard though. And the problem with the Switch is most of the library right now is just ports of games Mario kart, shovel knight, disgaea 5, Minecraft, Thumper, Binding of Isaac, World of Goo, Lego City undercover, I Am Setsuna, etc. all games we've played months or years ago on other consoles.

I never can wrap my head around why some people brag about how much money a company makes, and I mostly see this from Nintendo fans and sometimes MS fans, Only thing you as a gamer should care about is how much money these companies spend on making new games for us, not how much they save in their bank accounts (which is exactly the brag I've heard from Nintendo fans "OMG Nintendo has 15 billion dollars in the bank"). It's hard to defend a company that has 15 billion in the bank and keeps porting last gen games to their new console instead of investing more money in new titles, and when it does most of them look like cheap titles as if some indie team with no budget made it.

Meanwhile Sony's exec says that only 4/10 games they fund make a profit and they use those profits to fund the other 6 games they know won't make a profit or will lose money, and that they will continue to fund titles to support devs who make the type of games that other big publishers won't touch to please niche fans. 

Super Mario Odyssey is going to be a mega hit. I know people who plan on buying a Switch for that game alone.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

Jon-Erich said:
Super Mario Odyssey is going to be a mega hit. I know people who plan on buying a Switch for that game alone.

Isn't that quite typical? The Mario game, The Mario Kart game, The Super Smash Bros game, and The Legend of Zelda game are always the mega hits of every Nintendo console. I guess we can add Splatoon the list now going forward. 

Around the Network
NawaiNey said:
Cloudman said:

Is that a bad thing? New installments for certain games are fine releasing every couple of years, as some of them like Mario Kart have great replay value. Games that do yearly releases give me burn out, actually.

Yearly entries for sports games are the standard though. And the problem with the Switch is most of the library right now is just ports of games Mario kart, shovel knight, disgaea 5, Minecraft, Thumper, Binding of Isaac, World of Goo, Lego City undercover, I Am Setsuna, etc. all games we've played months or years ago on other consoles.

I never can wrap my head around why some people brag about how much money a company makes, and I mostly see this from Nintendo fans and sometimes MS fans, Only thing you as a gamer should care about is how much money these companies spend on making new games for us, not how much they save in their bank accounts (which is exactly the brag I've heard from Nintendo fans "OMG Nintendo has 15 billion dollars in the bank"). It's hard to defend a company that has 15 billion in the bank and keeps porting last gen games to their new console instead of investing more money in new titles, and when it does most of them look like cheap titles as if some indie team with no budget made it.

Meanwhile Sony's exec says that only 4/10 games they fund make a profit and they use those profits to fund the other 6 games they know won't make a profit or will lose money, and that they will continue to fund titles to support devs who make the type of games that other big publishers won't touch to please niche fans. 

Getting ports of games isn't a bad thing either. It's thanks to those ports that I got to play some of those games for the 1st time. It doesn't mean that everyone has played those games. There have been new games released as well, such as the new Zelda and ARMs, as well as Splatoon 2, FE Warriors, Mario Odyssey, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. To say Nintendo isn't investing in new games is just simply wrong. We've been shown titles to come next year and beyond, such as a new FE, Yoshi, Kirby, Pokemon, and Metroid, and I figure they only have more planned in the future.

Also, I'm not sure why you keep bringing up points that are just irrelevant to the main topic, nor ones even talked about all that much. They don't address the point that I brought up.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Cloudman said:
NawaiNey said:

Getting ports of games isn't a bad thing either. It's thanks to those ports that I got to play some of those games for the 1st time. It doesn't mean that everyone has played those games. There have been new games released as well, such as the new Zelda and ARMs, as well as Splatoon 2, FE Warriors, Mario Odyssey, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. To say Nintendo isn't investing in new games is just simply wrong. We've been shown titles to come next year and beyond, such as a new FE, Yoshi, Kirby, Pokemon, and Metroid, and I figure they only have more planned in the future.

Also, I'm not sure why you keep bringing up points that are just irrelevant to the main topic, nor ones even talked about all that much. They don't address the point that I brought up.

No one said Nintendo doesn't invest in games, just that they invest far less than others who don't have so much money saved up in the bank...and it should be the opposite.

NawaiNey said:
Cloudman said:

No one said Nintendo doesn't invest in games, just that they invest far less than others who don't have so much money saved up in the bank...and it should be the opposite.

Well it sounds more to me you're giving them far less credit, considering how much they're trying to output in a short period of time.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

NawaiNey said:
Bajablo said:

you say the make bad games at first.. now you switch over to number of games released.. what is it, quality or numbers?

It's about both, you can't make a couple really good games and then sit on your laurels, and you can't just make a lot of terrible games and say "oh well atleast we tried". You need a steady stream of quality titles to have a successful console that people will buy and remember fondly.

Except Nintendo isn't just Mario and Zelda as you assume. ARMS just came out and has a 77 Meta, which is decent, and outsold the first week sales of Tekken 7 and SFV combined in Japan. Then you have Splatoon 2 in about 3 weeks and it's dominating Japan's COMG charts and has taken multiple positions in the top of the charts for a good while even with the Switch dealing with shortages and the Splatoon 2 amiibos are apparently getting good preorders as well. And yes, an 81 score like from the original Splatoon is considered a "good" score. Then you go down the list for the rest of the year with Mario + Rabbids, which surprised many who saw and tried the game, Pokken Tournament DX, Fire Emblem Warriors, Super Mario Odyssey, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. So you got a good stream of first party titles here with more to be announced. Then add in Skyrim, Rocket League, Monster Hunter XX, Sonic Mania and Forces, Rayman Legends port, NBA 2K, FIFA 18, LEGO games, and indies, it's not a bad third party lineup for the rest of the year. Not saying it's great but it isn't really bad per se. So i don't know where you're coming from with "oh well at least we tried" games other than maybe third party related.

Cloudman said:
NawaiNey said:

Well it sounds more to me you're giving them far less credit, considering how much they're trying to output in a short period of time.

And by the end of the year, they will have published around 20+ games this year, including 3DS games and mobile. Not many can say they do that in a year.