By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo First Party Software Problems

Cyberworld7 said:
Nintendo should when with AMD

Nvidia has better mobile chips that are more suitable for Switch concept.

Around the Network
Kai_Mao said:
DélioPT said:

Project Octopath Traveler - no release date given
New Retro game - not announced and no release date given
No More Heroes - no release date given
Pikmin 4 - no release date given (latest comment: "it's progressing")
SMT - announced for 2018
FE - announced for 2018

So, you have 3 1st party games and 1 3rd party game announced for 2018.

Also, remember this thread was about 1st party games.

Ultimately, it is as you said, there is more to be announced. Nintendo hasn't put everything out there yet and we'll probably know more of what's to come later on in the year and beyond when they're ready to announce more. Nevertheless, I have to say that seeing what's going on this first year for the Switch in terms of first party, I don't know what launch year first party lineups of consoles' past matches up to that. Sure some have great launch lineups, but for the whole year?

Yes, more will be announced.
But, besides all the praises that can be sang about 2017, if you compare Switch with Wii U in their first 10 months (Switch's almost full year), you'll see that, in terms of 1st party efforts, there isn't a difference.

The big difference lies on Switch having 3 ports (so far!): Zelda, MK 8 and Pokken. And two of them are big names!

friendlyfamine said:
DélioPT said:

Project Octopath Traveler - no release date given
New Retro game - not announced and no release date given
No More Heroes - no release date given
Pikmin 4 - no release date given (latest comment: "it's progressing")
SMT - announced for 2018
FE - announced for 2018

So, you have 3 1st party games and 1 3rd party game announced for 2018.

Also, remember this thread was about 1st party games.

By that logic, Xbox is the epitome of that problem. Honestly, why does it concern you so much that only 2 first party games have a 2018 release date? We're only halfway through this year (2017) and you're already jumping to the conclusion that there's a "problem" with 2018? We've seen already that Nintendo will eventually deliver on first party IP, as all their studios are pretty much working together to make games for this system. Out of the blue, there could be an Animal Crossing game, a Smash port, Mario Maker 2/port, the list prolongs. Pikmin 4 and Fire Emblem 2018 are definitely going to be for 2018, as Pikmin 4 has been "almost finished" since 2015. It's likely going to be revealed in a Nintendo Direct.

Just wait, please. This discussion is way too early.  You're probably too exercised by Sony's 2018 delays to have such discussion. Nintendo doesn't operate like that, sometimes they announce a game a few months before release. Sony doesn't do that.

Their isn't a problem with 2018, but there can be.
First, Pikmin 4 isn't a garanteed 2018 title. Nintendo hasn't confirmed and the "it's been in development since 2015" means nothing. 
We don't know how the development process is going, and if i'm not mistaken, Starfox Zero was in development since the Wii days and it came out in 2015.

Out of the blue there can be many things but no one knows that.
What we know is that by the end of E3 we have 3 games announced and instead of using their E3 time to announce more games for 2018 they wasted two perfectly good announcements of non 2018 games.

They could fill you with a remake every month if they wanted to. But that's not the point, is it?

I checked Sony's E3 2013 and 2016 conference, and to my surprise, the majority of games shown were for the current year or the next.
I don't know if SOny announces games a few months from reveal or not, but that really changes nothing.

NawaiNey said:
collint0101 said:

Dude it's all personal opinion. If you look at the 90+ range I don't care for mlb, uncharted, god of war or killzone but I enjoy the hell out of all of Nintendo's 90+ games. Outside of pure numbers there are no objective facts when it comes to stuff like this 

No one cares about you not caring. Fact is Nintendo had the least amount of games and has the lowest average score for it's top games. Had the least amount of 90+ games, least amount of 80+ games. Had the least amount of successful IPs, and by far the least amount of New IPs successful or otherwise. I understand that there are people like you who love everything Nintendo and don't care for anything by anyone else, but barring that kind of biasedness, there's no way to argue againt the fact that Nintendo has the worst first party games.

you say the make bad games at first.. now you switch over to number of games released.. what is it, quality or numbers?

3DS FC# 4553-9947-9017 NNID: Bajablo

Torn-City - MMO text based RPG, join me! :)

Nintendo could release a real entry in Animal Crossing series in 2018 and it would set Japan on fire while also performing well in NA and Europe. Animal Crossing sells +10 million on handhelds with ease.

Miyamotoo said:
DélioPT said:

Nintendo a really good year with Zelda, MK8, Splatoon 2 and Mario.
The rest, despite being good to great titles are not system sellers. At least there's nothing pointing in that direction.

In 2018 you have (for the sake of momentum)... Kirby and Yoshi.
That's not a good sign. Again, as fair as we know.

Pokémon and MP4 were announced but Nintendo has not given them a release date (easy to to see why).

Kirby and Yoshi are not only games for 2018. we know about, we also know that Fire Emblem is 2018. game and Nintendo talked after E3 like Pokemon and Metroid Prime are 2018. games. Of Course we still know nothing about majority of Nintendo 2018. Switch lineup. But for now, we dont see any bad sign.

Pokemon and MP4 are not 2018 games.
GoNintendo posted an updated on that news where they said they were contacted by Nintendo to correct that Nintendo's guy statement saying that those games don't have a release date. As in, someone gave a wrong info.

So, when i see them announcing 4 games at E3 and two of them not even being 2018 games, i can't see that as a good sign: they could have revealed 2 more 2018 games instead of Pokemon and MP4. Why didn't they do that?

Around the Network
DélioPT said:
Miyamotoo said:

Kirby and Yoshi are not only games for 2018. we know about, we also know that Fire Emblem is 2018. game and Nintendo talked after E3 like Pokemon and Metroid Prime are 2018. games. Of Course we still know nothing about majority of Nintendo 2018. Switch lineup. But for now, we dont see any bad sign.

GoNintendo posted an updated on that news where they said they were contacted by Nintendo to correct that Nintendo's guy statement saying that those games don't have a release date. As in, someone gave a wrong info.

So, when i see them announcing 4 games at E3 and two of them not even being 2018 games, i can't see that as a good sign: they could have revealed 2 more 2018 games instead of Pokemon and MP4. Why didn't they do that?

If I would have to take a guess it's because Yoshi and Kirby are pre E3 2018 releases. Fire Emblem Switch is probably post E3 2018. 

Those two titles also are massive hype builders, and I am somewhat sure that the Pokemon announcement was made in response to the backlash post Ultra Sun and Moon

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

DélioPT said:
Miyamotoo said:

You don't know that, Nintendo did not specify any release date or year, they just said Switch Pokemon will need more than a year, holiday 2018. is almost 1.5 year from E3 2017.

Lol, I now remember, we already had this arguins. E3 proved you were wrong, they did were talking about some 2018. games even some games that could be beyond 2018. despite they said E3 while focused for 2017. It very clear, but you still asks why!? They could revele hole 2018. lineup but they didnt of course because they don't need, same like they did not need reveal hole Switch 2017. linuep in January event, or they didnt reveal Switch year before launch...

But why they announced Pokemon and Metroid!? It's very obvious, after Pokemon announcement for 3DS, people are asking for Pokemon Switch and they feared there isn't Pokemon for Switch, Nintendo just give confirmation that there is Pokemon Switch in development. Fans were asking Metroid Prime for years, and if they did announced just 3DS Metroid game, fans would angry, again Nintendo just gave confirmation for Metroid fans.

So no, we don't have any bad signs for 2018. we are just in middle of 2017. and we already have 3-5 announced games that will be released in 2018.

couchmonkey said:

We regularly hear about Nintendo's third party software issues which are legit but maybe not as bad as people think.  How about the first party problems?  Switch started off extremely well with Zelda: BOW and Mario Kart 8, but I am starting to sense cracks in the upcoming lineup. 

Keep in mind, I'm looking at this from a sales perspective (I'm on VGchartz after all).  I know I'll buy a Switch and love many of these games, but to sell 100 million Switches they need outstanding first-party software.  Wii know they can do it!  Let me know if I missed anything.

ARMS - seems to be having a so-so launch, I don't expect this to do much.  It is nice to see Nintendo try a new IP, though.

Splatoon 2 - looks fine.  I can't figure out what makes this better than the first game, but Japan loves it, and I think it'll be interesting to see if this can do bigger numbers on Switch than Wii U.  I'm not worried about it.

Mario Odyssey - I am worried about this one.  Nintendo really should be going 2D with Mario, the proof is in the sales figures.  I was giving Odyssey the benefit of the doubt because Nintendo made great strides in open world with Zelda, but I think the game might have serious issues with the cornball theme song and strange mix reality and fantasy.  Nintendo needs Mario to perform, they have no other guaranteed hits until Pokemon.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - This will add some nice variety to the lineup, but we know this isn't a system seller.

Fire Emblem Warriors - Good for Japan, but not a system seller globally.

Metroid Prime 4 - this will add some needed variety to the lineup, but I'm concerned to hear it's not coming from Retro.

Pokemon - nice, it will ensure great sales for a while as long as they deliver.

This is where it gets risky - does anyone think MP4 or Pokemon will be out first half of 2018? If not, what will carry momentum through next year?  I have little faith in the 2017 game lineup to do that job (Zelda and Mario Kart maybe, but they'll be a year old).  Ironically, I think Skyrim and maybe Rocket League will do as much to save Switch in 2018 than anything Nintendo has scheduled.

Keep in mind Nintendo did not announce anything from their internal teams for 2018. Everything was from second parties (Good Feed, HAL, Pokemon Company). Metroid Prime 4 is being made by a separate team. Nintendo has been quite about the next year. I think it's hard to say if they will have strong software in 2018 because was haven't seen what they are offering. 

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

KrspaceT said:
DélioPT said:

If I would have to take a guess it's because Yoshi and Kirby are pre E3 2018 releases. Fire Emblem Switch is probably post E3 2018. 

Those two titles also are massive hype builders, and I am somewhat sure that the Pokemon announcement was made in response to the backlash post Ultra Sun and Moon

I don't know about Kirby and Yoshi, but given that there has been zero promotion of FE, i would agree that FE will arrive in the second half of 2018.

I know people expected Pokemon for Switch, but it was nothing like Federation Force.
I think they just wanted to have that announcement for E3. 
A bad decision if you ask me as that type of "we are making one, btw" announcement could have been easily made in the Pokemon Direct.

Miyamotoo said:
DélioPT said:

You don't know that, Nintendo did not specify any release date or year, they just said Switch Pokemon will need more than a year, holiday 2018. is almost 1.5 year from E3 2017.

Lol, I now remember, we already had this arguins. E3 proved you were wrong, they did were talking about some 2018. games even some games that could be beyond 2018. despite they said E3 while focused for 2017. It very clear, but you still asks why!? They could revele hole 2018. lineup but they didnt of course because they don't need, same like they did not need reveal hole Switch 2017. linuep in January event, or they didnt reveal Switch year before launch...

But why they announced Pokemon and Metroid!? It's very obvious, after Pokemon announcement for 3DS, people are asking for Pokemon Switch and they feared there isn't Pokemon for Switch, Nintendo just give confirmation that there is Pokemon Switch in development. Fans were asking Metroid Prime for years, and if they did announced just 3DS Metroid game, fans would angry, again Nintendo just gave confirmation for Metroid fans.

So no, we don't have any bad signs for 2018. we are just in middle of 2017. and we already have 3-5 announced games that will be released in 2018.

But that's exactly it: no date was given for 2 out of 4 games.
I don't know how much it takes to develop a new generation Pokemon game, but i know that if it's in HD it will take longer than usual.

I think you don't remember well our last conversation.

I always thought they were going to show 2018 games; I complained that their focus on 2017 games for the presentation was not necessary and they should show more of 2018  games.
You always said that focus on 2017 was expected as they are only focuses on the short term (unlike Sony, as the example you used several times).

If anything, E3 proved you wrong on how "focus" was meant to be read and how Nintendo wasn't just going to use Spotlight to focus on games coming 2017.

Do you really think Nintendo would just prepare that Pokemon announcement because some fans were upset that the Pokemon games announced weren't for Switch, or that they hadn't this planned for a long time?
I could even agree that the Metroid announcement was to please some fans. But still, it's really hard to not think they could have done the "wait for it" like they did some time ago (regarding Metroid). Also, people were very pleased with the 3DS game and if that was it, i doubt we would see an outrage like we saw with Federation Force.

Again, when you plan E3 the way it was planned you do raise questions (again).
Those 2 non 2018 announcements weren't necessary.