By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So what's the problem with New Donk City?

Does New Donk City fit in Mario Odyssey?

Yes it does 137 76.11%

Nnnooooooooooo!! 43 23.89%

Total:180

It seems that Nintendo can't please anyone these days.

We are finally getting a new 3D Open world Mario game which we were supposed to get on WiiU that looks like its going to be the next best Mario game of all time.

The trailer was awesome and I was, admittedly, surprised when i saw Mario running around in the City and Mario being shorter than everybody else is funny but really nothing wrong with it and i really didn't get that GTA vibe like everybody else just because it's a realistic looking world, besides this the Mario Universe game we all wanted so I'm sure I'm going to enjoy this one.

Somehow people are not very excited for this Mario title and would've rather have wanted a Sunshine 2 ... Please, God no. My only problem with it is that it should have been called New York City but it's fictional and we don't want to offend anybody so yeah.

Can't Nintendo just catch a break?

They launched the Switch: Where's virtual console!??

They announced the SNES mini: Where's Chrono Trigger!??

Metroid 2 Remake: Why the new mechanics and story!?

New Nintendo 2DS: Why!??

Around the Network

I don't see the issue people have at all. New Donk City obviously refers to the city where the Donkey Kong games take place so it should absolutely be in this game. Also, it would look really weird if Mario was the same size as the rest of the people since he would look massive 😜.

Edit: We already knew the size difference btw:

Wait, are we pretending like the reception to Super Mario Oddysey has been negative? I have seen almost nothing except praise and excitement..

It was a bit shocking to see Mario in a realistic environment at first, but people's reactions were mostly very positive.

Criticisms are very understandable, though. 

Teeqoz said:

Wait, are we pretending like the reception to Super Mario Oddysey has been negative? I have seen almost nothing except praise and excitement..

Yep, there's been a few like myself that say it doesn't fit, but the majority seem perfectly fine with it, even that God awful song in the trailer.

The city itself is ok, but the humans... They should have made them charactures, disproportionate... I dont like them.

The only things I saw in the trailer I disliked was the humans, the realistic looking dinosaur that doesn't fit, and the song with vocals. Ew.

It's a simple issue of art style for me, a few tweaks to that dinosaur and it would be A ok. I don't want really realistic characters or animals in a Mario game. SM64 had penguins... But they were "Mario-esque" penguins, just as bloopers don't look like real octopuses, koopas don't look like real turtles.

I dislike realistic characters designs in Mario games.

Donkey Kong is not a realistic depiction of a gorilla, the humans and that dinosaur shouldnt be.

Around the Network

So we shouldn't criticize Nintendo because reasons. Got it.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

This is normal.

Once it releases these b**ches will shut up

Pocky Lover Boy! 

i dont think people are critising the game a a whole, just that level. It feels way out of place for Mario game.

The rest of it looks amazing.

Jranation said:
This is normal.

Once it releases these b**ches will shut up

"People don't like certain aspects of a game. Bitches need to shut up."

Calling anyone that thinks they don't feel the human characters fit in entirely a bitch is ridiculous and petty.

It's a small cricisim and yet you react like that, incredible. You're right, everyone must be 100% positive about the game or they're a bitch.

I completely agree with OP, I think his criticism is mainly on the fact that Nintendo can't seem to catch a break lately, which I agree with, everyone seems to be incredibly critical of everything they do. I have my complaints but I think they're on the right track for now and I'm sure my issues will get addressed eventually.

That being said I still very much don't like New Donk City, love the look of the rest of the game so far but I feel like it really takes away from the suspension of belief with Mario, it's terribly off putting to have Mario exist in a pseudo real world, where the obvious height and graphical differences between him and the residents of New Donk City stand out. I play video games to find an escape to reality, and Nintendo games do that better than any of them out there, so to bring Mario into the real world takes away from all of that, and I wish they had never done it in the first place. That being said I'm sure the game will still be amazing.