By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So what's the problem with New Donk City?

Does New Donk City fit in Mario Odyssey?

Yes it does 137 76.11%

Nnnooooooooooo!! 43 23.89%

Total:180

No problem at all. It´s Donkey Kong city, after all.

Every level/stage in this Mario game seems insane.... no level looks similar to the other and in this game Mario IS NOT in the Mushroom Kingdom.....so it fits well.

And we haven´t even seen gameplay from the "Angular Colorful Food" World, briefly seen on trailers. I wonder what people will complain about that stage.

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:

Wait, are we pretending like the reception to Super Mario Oddysey has been negative? I have seen almost nothing except praise and excitement..

if you could also stop liking the Switch please that'd be lovely.

Those crowds waiting to buy it? no no.... they're complaining about the Wii-U games being ported from it, lowering the value of that system... yup.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Teeqoz said:

Wait, are we pretending like the reception to Super Mario Oddysey has been negative? I have seen almost nothing except praise and excitement..

No but the complaint about New Donk City looks pointless and still many people back it, the only reasoning behind it I heard is that it looks weird when we're talking about a game where a Plumber becomes a T-Rex...

Luke888 said:
Teeqoz said:

No but the complaint about New Donk City looks pointless and still many people back it, the only reasoning behind it I heard is that it looks weird when we're talking about a game where a Plumber becomes a T-Rex...

It doesn't matter how crazy the world is, that doesn't mean the design of the world, it's feel and character aren't of any note. Whatever the gameplay, abilities or mechanics are that doesn't mean something can't feel out of place, especially with a game with as much history as Mario.

Mario games generally have a certain feel and style. They don't have realistic representations of real-world creatures, DK's design is a mario-esque twist on a gorila. As a Koopa is to a turtle, and the Penguins in sm64.

When instead of "mario-izing" creatures, and leaving them as realistically proportioned and designed creatures (like the dinosaur in the odyssey trailer). It just doesn't feel very "mario" to me.

It's a small criticism about a small part of the game.

DK, Koopa's, Penguins, Yoshi's, Cheep Cheeps. They're all characters based on real world things.

That dinosaur isn't a character. It's a dinosaur. As the humans are humans.

Barkley said:
Jranation said:
This is normal.

Once it releases these b**ches will shut up

"People don't like certain aspects of a game. Bitches need to shut up."

Calling anyone that thinks they don't feel the human characters fit in entirely a bitch is ridiculous and petty.

It's a small cricisim and yet you react like that, incredible. You're right, everyone must be 100% positive about the game or they're a bitch.

No! Its aiming towards those that keeps on complaining on what ever Nintendo does

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network

New Donk City is great for Mario Odyssey. But I wouldn't have liked it if it was a modern GTA-like city.

I keep an open-mind with New Donk City because Nintendo can make out-of-place elements feel very coherent with the artstyle or core design. They know what they're doing with their flagship franchises.

"Odyssey...yesseee!" - worst lyric of the year, maybe the decade.

I think Nintendo has made a lot of errors in the tone of this game. It feels too far on the cutesy side, and things like New Donk City seem lazy - like Barkley says, if Mario, Pauline and Donkey Kong all come from New Donk City, why are they cartoonish freaks while everyone else is an ordinary person? It's just wrong.

These complaints seem trivial because you love Mario so much that you have blinders on. I love Mario too, and I'm going to buy this game, but I'm afraid the general public sees Bowser in a white and pink tux or Mario mixed in the "real world", and thinks, "Not for me, why is this so weird / kiddie?"

I remember defending Paper Mario like this way back in the late 90s. Paper Mario is awesome and I still like the cartoony style, but it hasn't done anything to make Mario or Nintendo more popular. Neither will Odyssey. I want more than a fun but weird 3D Mario - I want Nintendo to kick butt and expand the popularity of Mario and Switch.

"It seems that Nintendo can't please anyone these days."

Is this ... a joke thread? And here all I've been reading the last few days is, "Mario Odyssey is going to fight Zelda FOR BEST GAME EVER! YEAH! NOTHING ELSE HAS A CHANCE!"

Huh.

Snoorlax said

They launched the Switch: Where's virtual console!??

They announced the SNES mini: Where's Chrono Trigger!??

Metroid 2 Remake: Why the new mechanics and story!?

New Nintendo 2DS: Why!??

Why not complain about that? We've had 2 consoles after the introduction of VC. Each one has had a total reset. And no avaiblity of stuff from the start. Coupled with the fact they never get through the whole catalog.

Why not have Chrono Trigger? When people by rehases. They expect all the greats. Not just 90% of them. It be like if Star Wars remastered episodes 1-3 and stopped.

This one I don't get. Zero Mission did the same thing. It's not like this will be Resident Evil 2's remake. Where Capcom will change it so it matches RE 4-6.

This should of been used when the crap 2DS version came out. Not now. I would of bought this if this came out the same time the 3DS XL.