By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A good example of why Sony Consoles always succeed.

Errorist76 said:

Another important reason for me is Playstation traditionally goes very well with PC...the perfect combination. XBox has always been kind of redundant if one has a PC, now more than ever!

Actually Nintendo goes much better with PC because Nintendo doesn't have 3rd party support but has huge number of great exclusive games, whil now PS4 and PC are sharing more mulitplatfrom games than ever before, also most games from OP list are available on PC also.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Im not denying that at all, but you did not need a Wii to play Guitar hero and some many PS2, PS3 and 360 gamers were able to secure their own versions as well, despite the Wii. Regardless, the Wii was a force for motion games for sure. As I said before, I wish Sony was as passionate as Nintendo and Microsoft with their casual endeavors, because they are quite underrated and have done so much already that they have not been given credit for (of course...thats partially their fault). Hell...I didnt know a Eyetoy existed until my friend introducted me to it and a Kinectic motion game.

Oh yeah, Wii by no means had a monopoly on the casual consumer. I just meant that for a certain kind of buyer, the gamer who just buys what is trendy/popular and doesn't take gaming seriously like we do, PS2 was the natural choice in the 6th gen, and Wii was the natural choice last gen.

The Wii had a monopoly on the non-gamer type of casual. The new market I was showing to you that harvard business was talking about. The trendy gamer bought the Wii for sure, but I am talking the vast majority of the gamers Nintendo invited to the gaming market would not have cared about the market if word of mouth and accessible simplistic gameplay hadnt been created for them. Did you see the video from harvard business as well as the article? It explains it perfectly. Nintendo circumvented the traditional audience even though the Wii aimed for everyone regardless of ability. The PS3 and 360 always were the natural choice in the traditional market. Thats the reason why Microsoft halved the PS2s sales and they both sold about 160-170+ combined. The PS2 population heavily lived in those two platforms and the sales of their third party games shows it. The Wii's success was based on non-traditional circumstances because the Wii wasnt not a traditional console and was not aimed at the same gamers. Once again, Nintendo has been circumventing Sony and Microsoft, trying to aim for a broader audience since the Wii and have failed to rekindle it, so they did the next best thing as went for a sure thing by wooing the handheld and console audience all at once this gen.

Miyamotoo said:
Errorist76 said:

Another important reason for me is Playstation traditionally goes very well with PC...the perfect combination. XBox has always been kind of redundant if one has a PC, now more than ever!

Actually Nintendo goes much better with PC because Nintendo doesn't have 3rd party support but has huge number of great exclusive games, whil now PS4 and PC are sharing more mulitplatfrom games than ever before, also most games from OP list are available on PC also.

Sony beat Microsoft and Nintendo in ip creation last gen, so technically both would work with PC better than an Xbox because they both amass large exclusive libraries that PC cannot touch (without emulation). The Xbox is slowly becoming a steam box for PC. 

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Miyamotoo said:

Sony beat Microsoft and Nintendo in ip creation last gen, so technically both would work with PC better than an Xbox because they both amass large first party libraries that PC cannot touch (without emulation). The Xbox is slowly becoming a steam box for PC. 

Yes, PS4 is better choice if we talk about exclusive games than XB1 in any case, but its not better if compared it with Nintendo, Nintendo has more games and usually better games. Just look Wii U that was failure and had short life, how much Nintendo games released on Wii U and huge majority of those games are good/great game, or just look first 10 monts of Nintendo Switch games. Its well known that Nintendo has huge number of strong and good IPs.

NawaiNey said:
maxleresistant said:
yep, a good reminder of why third party support is really important

Especially when your first party output is so weak and narrow like Nintendo's. 

Lol. There's only one first party that can succeed without 3rd party games.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Sony beat Microsoft and Nintendo in ip creation last gen, so technically both would work with PC better than an Xbox because they both amass large first party libraries that PC cannot touch (without emulation). The Xbox is slowly becoming a steam box for PC. 

Yes, PS4 is better choice if we talk about exclusive games than XB1 in any case, but its not better if compared it with Nintendo, Nintendo has more games and usually better games. Just look Wii U that was failure and has short life, how much Nintendo games released and huge majority of those games are good/great game, or just look first 10 monts of Nintendo Switch games.

Nintendo does not put out more exclusives, but yes they put out great games. I can definitely agree with that. Nintendo and Sony excel in artistically expressing the spirit of gaming in multiple genres in their own respective styles. Sony is not like the old Sony in the PS1 or PS2 Era. The PS3 era forced Sony to become more creative with their exclusives since Microsoft was mirroring their third party selection so no one could tell the difference between the brands. Today, many people can name just as many of Sonys trusted studios as they can Nintendo (if not more). What Nintendo has on Sony is the party IPs. If its single player games Sony can play ball, but they are lost in the party games compared. Perhaps they dont need to replicate those games and just be Sony, just like Nintendo doesnt do certain games that Sony excels and invests in.

With that said...I am loving my switch as a companion console to my PS4 and Xbox One. Its really more of a companion to my PS4...since I play it more actively though. My Xbox is just a games with gold box right now. Nintendos first year definitely will eclipse Sony and Microsofts first year exclusives imho. 

S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:

Oh yeah, Wii by no means had a monopoly on the casual consumer. I just meant that for a certain kind of buyer, the gamer who just buys what is trendy/popular and doesn't take gaming seriously like we do, PS2 was the natural choice in the 6th gen, and Wii was the natural choice last gen.

The Wii had a monopoly on the non-gamer type of casual. The new market I was showing to you that harvard business was talking about. The trendy gamer bought the Wii for sure, but I am talking the vast majority of the gamers Nintendo invited to the gaming market would not have cared about the market if word of mouth and accessible simplistic gameplay hadnt been created for them. Did you see the video from harvard business as well as the article? It explains it perfectly. Nintendo circumvented the traditional audience even though the Wii aimed for everyone regardless of ability. The PS3 and 360 always were the natural choice in the traditional market. Thats the reason why Microsoft halved the PS2s sales and they both sold about 160-170+ combined. The PS2 population heavily lived in those two platforms and the sales of their third party games shows it. The Wii's success was based on non-traditional circumstances because the Wii wasnt not a traditional console and was not aimed at the same gamers. Once again, Nintendo has been circumventing Sony and Microsoft, trying to aim for a broader audience since the Wii and have failed to rekindle it, so they did the next best thing as went for a sure thing by wooing the handheld and console audience all at once this gen.

I'm familiar with the blue ocean theory, but it's a mistake I think to assume that accounts for the entirety of the Wii audience.

The PS3 and 360 do not account for the whole PS2 userbase, because the PS360 numbers include the kids who started gaming on PS3/360 last gen and didn't own a PS2. There's a whole chunk of casual PS2 owners who got a Wii instead because it was the next trendy/popular system.

curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I'm familiar with the blue ocean theory, but it's a mistake I think to assume that accounts for the entirety of the Wii audience.

The PS3 and 360 do not account for the whole PS2 userbase, because the PS360 numbers include the kids who started gaming on PS3/360 last gen and didn't own a PS2. There's a whole chunk of casual PS2 owners who got a Wii instead because it was the next trendy/popular system.

The total numbers almost match up perfectly with the PS2 base of the Xbox 360 and PS3. The Wii was not the same crowd. Look at the software sales.Nintendo circumvented Sony and they still are. They've even said it publically that they werent head on competing with the other brands. Yes, some gamers had the Wii...but the software sales to not correlate with the PS2, which in itself had a more diverse spread of games that turned large profits. Usually more traditionally casual games. Nintendos bundled motion games did the best that gen. Better than any other gen for that matter. 

S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:

The total numbers almost match up perfectly with the PS2 base of the Xbox 360 and PS3. The Wii was not the same crowd. Look at the software sales.Nintendo circumvented Sony and they still are. They've even said it publically that they werent head on competing with the other brands. Yes, some gamers had the Wii...but the software sales to not correlate with the PS2, which in itself had a more diverse spread of games that turned large profits. Usually more traditionally casual games. Nintendos bundled motion games did the best that gen. Better than any other gen for that matter. 

They don't match up though, because a lot of PS3 and 360s went to kids who started gaming that gen and never owned a PS2.

That leaves a chunk of former PS2 owners unaccounted for; these are the guys who bought a PS2 cos their friends had one and played Guitar Hero with their mates, then got a Wii cos their friends had one and played Wii Sports and Mario Kart with their mates. This idea that games like these have separate segregated audiences is false; casuals just play whatever is pick-up-and-play and fun with friends, they don't care if it's a Nintendo game or a third party game, they don't care if it's Guitar Hero or Mario Kart.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:

Nintendo's motion games didn't do best though.

Mario Kart > Wii Sports Resort

NSMB  > Wii Fit, Wii Play

3D Mario, Smash > Wii Party

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!