By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A good example of why Sony Consoles always succeed.

Barkley said:

PlayStation are getting some really big sellers this generation and building some really strong first party franchises.

I remember Shu said that every 4/10 of their PS3 games were profitable enough to warrant a sequel. Im sure we are more in 8/10 now. If we add this 30-40% digital sales for their titles, maybe even 100 % ? Who knows. Also smaller games like Nioh, Persona 5 etc all get surprisingly good sales, this is also a big factor if we talk about JP games.

Also, I think 2018 will be the best year for PS4 exclusive games-sales wise.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Not really, if we look at number of released games or active IPs, critical exception and sales of those games, than you have pretty clear picture. Of Course anywhone can say what games are better for him, but that doesnt change what I wrote. Sony never had anything similar that is so strong or big like Pokemon, it has Gran Turismo and now U4 has great sales, and TLoU has great popularity, but Pokemon is much stronger than any of those IPs plus Nintendo has huge strong IPs like Animal Crossing, 2D Mario, 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Zelda and now Splatoon seems it will be very strong, also plenty of ther IPs that are not so strong (Paper Mario, Metroid, Pikmin, Xeonblade, Mario Sports, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Kirby, Mario Party, Fire Emblem, Star Fox, Mario & Luigi, Wario...).

Sales aren't everything though and I think PlayStation easily has more worthwhile IPs than those you listed.

Some people (like myself) think PS+PC is the best combo and we certainly aren't wrong for thinking that. No amount of "look at how much all these Nintendo games sell" is going to change that. PS exclusives sell a tonne too, and actually I wouldn't be surprised if PS exclusives sold more overall than Nintendo ones due to the quantity of them. And in case it isn't obvious I am including 3rd party exclusives in this too.

Sony wouldn't be in the industry if they only had their first party games to rely on. I doubt they could singlehandedly support one console, they definitely couldn't support a handheld and home console.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Could of sworn zelda TP and SS won game of the years and SMG

Ka-pi96 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Not really, if we look at number of released games or active IPs, critical exception and sales of those games, than you have pretty clear picture. Of Course anywhone can say what games are better for him, but that doesnt change what I wrote. Sony never had anything similar that is so strong or big like Pokemon, it has Gran Turismo and now U4 has great sales, and TLoU has great popularity, but Pokemon is much stronger than any of those IPs plus Nintendo has huge strong IPs like Animal Crossing, 2D Mario, 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Zelda and now Splatoon seems it will be very strong, also plenty of ther IPs that are not so strong (Paper Mario, Metroid, Pikmin, Xeonblade, Mario Sports, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Kirby, Mario Party, Fire Emblem, Star Fox, Mario & Luigi, Wario...).

Sales aren't everything though and I think PlayStation easily has more worthwhile IPs than those you listed.

Some people (like myself) think PS+PC is the best combo and we certainly aren't wrong for thinking that. No amount of "look at how much all these Nintendo games sell" is going to change that.

PS exclusives sell a tonne too, and actually I wouldn't be surprised if PS exclusives sold more overall than Nintendo ones due to the quantity of them. And in case it isn't obvious I am including 3rd party exclusives in this too.

No, they are not everything, and I didn't mention only sales. You can think what ever you want, but hardly Sony has more worthwhile IPs than Nintendo or any other company out there, Nintendo easily have some of most strongest and biggest IPs on market.

Of Course, nothing is wrong with that.

Well they don't sell too much, on PS3 only one Sony IP sold more than 10m, even on PS2 only two Sony games sold more than 10m. Mario Kart, Smash Bros, 3D Mario and 2D Mario even on Wii U sold more than 5m, not to mentione Wii where MK sold 37m, NSMB 30m, Smash Bros and Mario Galaxy1 13m, or 3DS sales for Pokemons, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, 3D Mario and NSMB where almost each one sold more than 10m.

This reminds me of that old article, Vita is set to succeed. Good times.

Around the Network
method114 said:
axumblade said:
This year if you look at reviews.
Persona and Horizon are great but haven't really been nearly praised as much as The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

Which is weird to me. I tried BOTW and I just didn't see the hype. Horizon on the other hand the story telling alone blows aways anything BOTW is trying to do. So many great and memorable characters.

Either way the most fascinating thing here is that Nintendo hasn't had a GOTY since Resident Evil 4. That's crazy.

You do realize that GOTY is handed out by dozens of awarding bodies right? Nintendo has had plenty of GOTY 

method114 said:
axumblade said:
This year if you look at reviews.
Persona and Horizon are great but haven't really been nearly praised as much as The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

Which is weird to me. I tried BOTW and I just didn't see the hype. Horizon on the other hand the story telling alone blows aways anything BOTW is trying to do. So many great and memorable characters.

Either way the most fascinating thing here is that Nintendo hasn't had a GOTY since Resident Evil 4. That's crazy.

It depends on perspective like your stance on BoTW. Nintendo has had plenty of GOTY worthy game's over the years since RE4. The Mario Galaxy games, the Smash Bros. games, Xenoblade Chronicles, Bayonetta 2, Zelda A Link Between Worlds, Skyward Sword, Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario 3D World, the Pokémon mainline games, Fire Emblem Awakening and Fates, Splatoon, Mario Maker, and even the exclusive 3rd party games like MH4U, SMTIV and Apocalypse, Bravely Default and Second, etc. Whether they win or not is besides the point. Having a list that the OP has doesn't take away from the fact that other games have won awards elsewhere or have been nominated.

Ka-pi96 said:
Miyamotoo said:

It's unnecessary if you want to play great Nintendo games, but buy your point Playstation also inst unnecessary if you have PCPlaystation has much better 3rd party support, but hardly has more, stronger or better exclusives (IPs) than Nintendo.

Does that not depend on the person? I see many more exclusives that I consider strong and good on PlayStation than on Nintendo...

Yes, totally. That's why list wars threads like this one and the other the OP circulated are meaningless. I mean look at the quality of debate in this thread and the other. Using Metascore or sales numbers or the plurality of GOTY votes to determine greatness is such a waste of time. 

It all depends on the person, as you wrote. Personally, I'd much rather engage with someone on this forum who's actually played these titles and who can summon a cogent argument than butt heads with those who'd hide behind GOTY votes and Metacritic scores — and who've probably played only a fraction of the titles they reference.

It's all so frustrating. We have dozens of members here who can offer opinions and recommendations based on first-hand experience. Yet we spend as much time confirming our own bias as we do seeking out new information. 

Rant over  

NawaiNey said:
Miyamotoo said:

Actually Nintendo goes much better with PC because Nintendo doesn't have 3rd party support but has huge number of great exclusive games, whil now PS4 and PC are sharing more mulitplatfrom games than ever before, also most games from OP list are available on PC also.

Nintendo is unneccessary, Playstation has more and better exclsuives AND 3rd party support.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c

KLAMarine said:
NawaiNey said:

Nintendo is unneccessary, Playstation has more and better exclsuives AND 3rd party support.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c

I wonder how long it will take this time to sniff the alt.

Also Ninty's been necessary since the video game crash happened, so I dunno wtf he's been smoking.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"