By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - A little milestone that people have not noticed - the PS4 has outsold the NES

xl-klaudkil said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

So you're saying that selling 60 million consoles in today's market is the same as selling 60 million consoles in an era where the home console market had died, crashed and completely disapeared? Give me a break! lol

Just look at the market share difference. The NES was well over 90% at one point. They OWNED gaming in the 80's. In order for PS4 to do what NES did numbers wise, you'd have to add the sales of Wii U, Switch, Xbox One... then throw in mobile and handheld and still have it come out on top with 90% of the market. Now how many units do you really think that would be? 300 million is probably not nearly enough. 

That's what I am talking about. 60 million is not just 60 million. It's not nearly the same thing nor does it give the uneducated people a good idea of their successes. Nintendo selling 60 million in a market that didn't even exist is so much more dominant and impressve than selling 60 million today that it's not even funny. 

Your trying  to  hard to downplay. 

Wiiu sold 14mill

Xbox  30?

Switch 4-6?

Ps4 60.

3ds 65?

Where do you see the 300milll sold stuff?

60 in this day  of age with the huge pc and mobile crowd ia amazing!!  Absolutely  groundbreaking  amazing. 

The only way to compare eras is marketshare. If we take the numbers you provided, the PS4 is sitting at roughly 34% marketshare. In order for the PS4 to be as dominant as the NES was in the late 80's, it would have to currently be sitting at around 157 million units sold. And again, remember, this is EXCLUDING mobile and PSV sales.

Do you understand now? We shouldn't really copare numbers directly without taking into account the eras and the different circumstances invovled.

Around the Network
John19 said:
xl-klaudkil said:

60.4 where sold through... At that whas june 11.

Yes, but NES sold 61.9 million, so as I said before PS4 had a little over a million to go but it was pretty much done. Lawlight said that PS4 surpassed NES in May because there's usually 2-3 million more PS4s shipped than what are sold-through. He was basically saying PS4 outsold NES because it shipped more, but shipments aren't the same as sold-through

We always use shipment numbers when comparing numbers. Those NES numbers are shipped numbers as far as we are concerned, just like when Nintendo says 66.12M 3DS were sold. It's fair to compare them.

Nice, who's next in line for the PS4 to pass?

AlfredoTurkey said:
xl-klaudkil said:

Wiiu sold 14mill

Xbox  30?

Switch 4-6?

Ps4 60.

3ds 65?

60 in this day  of age with the huge pc and mobile crowd ia amazing!!  Absolutely  groundbreaking  amazing. 

The only way to compare eras is marketshare. If we take the numbers you provided, the PS4 is sitting at roughly 34% marketshare. In order for the PS4 to be as dominant as the NES was in the late 80's, it would have to currently be sitting at around 157 million units sold. And again, remember, this is EXCLUDING mobile and PSV sales.

Do you understand now? We shouldn't really copare numbers directly without taking into account the eras and the different circumstances invovled.

More nonsense. So, we're not using actual numbers anymore but marketshare? So, if the PS4 sold out 10M lifetime vs its competitors total of 1M, it would have done better because of the bigger marketshare?

And how ironic that you say you can't compare numbers without taking into accounts the circumstances of the era when you do just that.

AlfredoTurkey said:
xl-klaudkil said:

Wiiu sold 14mill

Xbox  30?

Switch 4-6?

Ps4 60.

3ds 65?

Noo,thats  a weird comparison.. 

Soo  snes >>> ps2 because  of markershare?

Ow well spin it the way you want it. 

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:

When you consider the market difference between 1985 and 2013, it's not really that impressive. It's like comparing revenue for movies and not adjusting for inflation. The NES selling 60 million units in the climate it launched in is like the PS4 selling 300 million units.

You are correct(Mostly. I don't know where you get the 300 million figure from). The reason you cannot compare the NES and PS4 directly is because you need to take account of population growth, market growth and new world markets.

For instance in 1990 the US population was 249.6 million. In 2017 it is 326 million. This is about a 76 million population increase.  This does not include other countries. 

You also have to take account that the NES had to revive a whole market (North America).  So the NES couldn't burst out of the gate selling gangbusters because no one took is seriously at first. The NES peaked in 1990 just when the SNES was about to come out in 1991. (So Nintendo had to start supporting the SNES)

Also when the NES came out half of Europe was under Soviet Union's control. (They were not keen letting people play video games. ) Also Nintendo didn't really have a Nintendo of Europe until 1990. So expansion was limited there for a bit. The PS4 was released in a lot more countries then the NES  as well giving PS4 an unfair advantage to the NES. 

Now I am not trying to say the PS4 isn't going to outsell the NES but you need to take the numbers into context instead of directly comparing them.  There is more to the story then bigger number beats smaller number.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

killeryoshis said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

When you consider the market difference between 1985 and 2013, it's not really that impressive. It's like comparing revenue for movies and not adjusting for inflation. The NES selling 60 million units in the climate it launched in is like the PS4 selling 300 million units.

You are correct(Mostly. I don't know where you get the 300 million figure from). The reason you cannot compare the NES and PS4 directly is because you need to take account of population growth, market growth and new world markets.

For instance in 1990 the US population was 249.6 million. In 2017 it is 326 million. This is about a 76 million population increase.  This does not include other countries. 

You also have to take account that the NES had to revive a whole market (North America).  So the NES couldn't burst out of the gate selling gangbusters because no one took is seriously at first. The NES peaked in 1990 just when the SNES was about to come out in 1991. (So Nintendo had to start supporting the SNES)

Also when the NES came out half of Europe was under Soviet Union's control. (They were not keen letting people play video games. ) Also Nintendo didn't really have a Nintendo of Europe until 1990. So expansion was limited there for a bit. The PS4 was released in a lot more countries then the NES  as well giving PS4 an unfair advantage to the NES. 

Now I am not trying to say the PS4 isn't going to outsell the NES but you need to take the numbers into context instead of directly comparing them.  There is more to the story then bigger number beats smaller number.

in 1990. the population was around 5 billion im guessing. so the nes sold 60 million to 5 billion people and the ps4 is on its way to selling 120 million to 7 billion people. and its doing it against nintendo and xbox. bac k in 1990, there were only sega and nintendo

Oh, people do have noticed but weirdly enough none of them has posted about it.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:

i think many nintendo fans did notice but for some strange reason none of them wanted to post about it

Pinkie_pie said:
vivster said:

i think many nintendo fans did notice but for some strange reason none of them wanted to post about it

Who could have expected such an oversight on a site as Sony friendly as this one? You would think there was an inherent Nintendo bias or something.