By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - A little milestone that people have not noticed - the PS4 has outsold the NES

With news that the sell-through was 60.4M in early June, we know that LTD sales of the PS4 has surpassed the NES.

Just putting it out there.

Around the Network

Well, I noticed it, and I may have even said something about it, but I can't remember if I did. But there certainly must have been others that noticed it as well.

When you consider the market difference between 1985 and 2013, it's not really that impressive. It's like comparing revenue for movies and not adjusting for inflation. The NES selling 60 million units in the climate it launched in is like the PS4 selling 300 million units.

Well it still has a little over 1 million to go, but yeah it's pretty much done

John19 said:

Nah, it passed it in May because there's always 2-3M PS4s shipped more than sold-through.

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:

When you consider the market difference between 1985 and 2013, it's not really that impressive. It's like comparing revenue for movies and not adjusting for inflation. The NES selling 60 million units in the climate it launched in is like the PS4 selling 300 million units.

Incorrect - market size is not like inflation at all. A market can shrink but inflation is always on the way up (it's not called deflation after all).

Lawlight said:
John19 said:

Nah, it passed it in May because there's always 2-3M PS4s shipped more than sold-through.

Shipped doesn't equal sold-through

People don't care, most likely because we expect it to surpass the Wii. We'll certainly celebrate when it does

Lawlight said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Incorrect - market size is not like inflation at all. A market can shrink but inflation is always on the way up (it's not called deflation after all).

If there are 100 people interested in lemonade and you sell 5,000 cups of the stuff, that's much more impressive than selling 5,000 cups to a crowd of 5,000,000. 

The market is so large right now that you can't compare.

John19 said:
Lawlight said:

Shipped doesn't equal sold-through

Thank you, Captain Obvious.