By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch Pro feature list

Ka-pi96 said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Europe didn't have a gaming crash like the US did. Instead we had the Sega Master System and NES come along and end the reign of computers (for gaming). The 'first' gen wasn't a Sega v Nintendo war it was consoles v computers. Kids v teenagers/adults. Consoles won even though they were weaker and games were x10 price. They were simpler to use, had multiple (supported) controller options, they were more portable, supported 4P local multiplayer and you didn't have to pray your game would load/be supported.

Consoles haven't looked back since.

Europe didn't have a crash because console weren't popular enough there to crash in the first place. And the NES and Master System with their combined total of about 15m sales in Europe certainly didn't change that or end the reign of computers. In fact I'm pretty sure PC is still a more popular platform than any gaming console in Germany and Scandinavia.

Oh and it was the PS1 that popularised consoles in Europe, so don't try and give false credit to earlier consoles. PS1 alone sold more in Europe than NES/SNES/Master System & Mega Drive combined...

PS1 didn't have dirt cheap computers to compete with because Nintendo and Sega (and Street Fighter 2) had already killed them.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network

I'm mostly fine with the Switch hardware. It's only the battery life that looks unappealing to me. Sure, an OLED screen would be nice upgrade, and a bit more power never hurt anybody. It's the other aspects of the system that could really use improvement. The overall online approach is objectively the worst of the big 3. Won't bother outlining it. Everybody knows what it, almost hilariously, will and won't do. The cost of the peripherals, and really the entire initial investment is a bit high as well imo. Oh, and the data managment situation is f***ing offensive. Nintendo can take that one and cram it with walnuts.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Ka-pi96 said:

Europe didn't have a crash because console weren't popular enough there to crash in the first place. And the NES and Master System with their combined total of about 15m sales in Europe certainly didn't change that or end the reign of computers. In fact I'm pretty sure PC is still a more popular platform than any gaming console in Germany and Scandinavia.

Oh and it was the PS1 that popularised consoles in Europe, so don't try and give false credit to earlier consoles. PS1 alone sold more in Europe than NES/SNES/Master System & Mega Drive combined...

uuhhh... Don't know about the whole of europe, but PC still reigns supreme in germany... Just sayin'... =P

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

CGI-Quality said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Each has their advantages. I never said one was better than the other.  When (good) consoles originally came on the scene they had advantages that computers didn't. Switch uses those advantages moreso than any other console.

But you did:

"consoles originally trumped computers for gaming"

I'm also aware that both have their advantages, but you only offered your view on consoles > PC. Thus, my curiosity.

Consoles became more popular than computers because the advantages of console gaming trumped the advantages of computer gaming for most people. I never gave my view on which one I prefer.

Ka-pi96 said:
Pyro as Bill said:

PS1 didn't have dirt cheap computers to compete with because Nintendo and Sega (and Street Fighter 2) had already killed them.

And how exactly did Nintendo and Sega kill computers in Europe with their 15m console sales per gen? And from what I can see Street FIghter 2 didn't really do that well at all in Europe compared to the US and Japan.

Kids decided which way the market was going to go. As they got older consoles became more popular. It wasn't just home consoles, handhelds were just as important.

Around the Network

Hmm, thinking of those, the only thing that I'd personally like to have myself is the OLED screen. Other than that, I'm pretty fine with the Switch as it is.

CGI-Quality said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Consoles became more popular than computers because the advantages of console gaming trumped the advantages of computer gaming for most people. I never gave my view on which one I prefer.

But again, you did:

"PCs aren't fast enough to compete with Switch. One of the best things about Switch is reminding everyone why consoles originally trumped computers for gaming."

PCs aren't fast enough to compete with the Switch? Says who? Where does said statement have a basis? And the second part is entirely subjective. To say that one "trumped" the other, and without any personal attachment, you'd have to provide undisputed reasoning. 

PCs aren't as plug n play as Switch. Is that really subjective?

I gave my opinion on how steamlined Switch is not on whether consoles are better than PC overall.

CGI-Quality said:
Pyro as Bill said:

PCs aren't as plug n play as Switch. Is that really subjective?

Depends on what you're talking about. Plug 'n Play how? And this is a different argument from "PCs aren't fast enough to compete with Switch". Plus, it doesn't matter if you don't think consoles are better than PC, but you presented an argument that makes a claim to it. All I asked was how, because in my experience, PCs have been able to do everything consoles can (and then some).

It's quicker to jump into a game. I don't have to sign in to anything. I don't have to install games. I don't have to download games. I don't have to have an internet connection.

PCs can do everything a console does but it involves jumping through hoops that most people can't be bothered with.

Here's a list I made when the Switch first launched. There are the features I want;

-eShop/Virtual Console
-Optional bigger Joycons
-App Shop
-Miiverse
-Miitomo integration
-Playlog (which we actually have now)
-Media player (movies, music, comics)
-News channel (like Wii)
-Sleeker looking dock
-Themes
-Download Nintendo Video (up to 2gb)

Everybody Votes