By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch Pro feature list

Native 8k 120fps dock mode

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Pyro as Bill said:

- and a wheelbarrow and diesel generator for portability?

PCs aren't fast enough to compete with Switch. One of the best things about Switch is reminding everyone why consoles originally trumped computers for gaming.

They did? News to me. Though my curiosity is activated - how so?

The only good thing with consoles back in the day was plug and play. Since last gen they pretty much a dumbed down pc a you need install and patches.

So will be interesting to see the response.

maybe for the Switch 2

CGI-Quality said:
Pyro as Bill said:

- and a wheelbarrow and diesel generator for portability?

PCs aren't fast enough to compete with Switch. One of the best things about Switch is reminding everyone why consoles originally trumped computers for gaming.

They did? News to me. Though my curiosity is activated - how so?

Europe didn't have a gaming crash like the US did. Instead we had the Sega Master System and NES come along and end the reign of computers (for gaming). The 'first' gen wasn't a Sega v Nintendo war it was consoles v computers. Kids v teenagers/adults. Consoles won even though they were weaker and games were x10 price. They were simpler to use, had multiple (supported) controller options, they were more portable, supported 4P local multiplayer and you didn't have to pray your game would load/be supported.

Consoles haven't looked back since.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

USB HDD.

Around the Network
caffeinade said:

The Switch has proven to be quite successful, and we all know what successful things all receive, Sequels (not always, but you get what I mean).
What features would you personally want a Switch Pro (or other revision) to have, be as selfish as necessary; but be reasonable (no GV100, 4k portable).

For me:

•     I want a 1080p or better screen, OLED would be nice.
  •     802.11ad WiFi for peer to peer connections, especially if Nintendo wants to enable us to download updates from peers.
  •     Metal Joycon rails, I want a more sturdy device.
  •     A better kickstand, hey maybe even add a second one...
  •     Decreased bezels, either reduce the device's size or increase the screen size.
  •     Maybe a second Micro SD card slot.

What features do you want?

Just some notes:

There are 4k phones, and by the time Nintendo does get around to considering a Switch Pro, it wouldn't be as unreasonable as you would think. The unreasonable thing is to consider the power the Switch would need at that time to make use of a 4k screen.

Also, when decreasing the bezel, they would have to opt for making the screen bigger. Reducing the device size would make existing joy-cons incompatible.

Otherwise, a second kickstand would be nice (or maybe one large one that runs along the bottom of the device).

Call it anything but Pro.

docked storage would be good with a UI that allows us to mark games as 'mobile mode' or 'docked only' - this will take care of copying games from docked storage space to tablet.

Ka-pi96 said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Europe didn't have a gaming crash like the US did. Instead we had the Sega Master System and NES come along and end the reign of computers (for gaming). The 'first' gen wasn't a Sega v Nintendo war it was consoles v computers. Kids v teenagers/adults. Consoles won even though they were weaker and games were x10 price. They were simpler to use, had multiple (supported) controller options, they were more portable, supported 4P local multiplayer and you didn't have to pray your game would load/be supported.

Europe didn't have a crash because console weren't popular enough there to crash in the first place. And the NES and Master System with their combined total of about 15m sales in Europe certainly didn't change that or end the reign of computers. In fact I'm pretty sure PC is still a more popular platform than any gaming console in Germany and Scandinavia.

Oh and it was the PS1 that popularised consoles in Europe, so don't try and give false credit to earlier consoles. PS1 alone sold more in Europe than NES/SNES/Master System & Mega Drive combined...

Ooooo. Sony really did push the industry forward in a massive way in Europe, didn't they? Wish I could address this one the way I want to, but I'm on the longest streak I've ever had without a ban, so throwaway cheerleading is as incisive as it gets.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

CGI-Quality said:
Pyro as Bill said:

This doesn't mean that consoles are better for gaming than computers, rather - they played a key role throughout.

Each has their advantages. I never said one was better than the other.  When (good) consoles originally came on the scene they had advantages that computers didn't. Switch uses those advantages moreso than any other console.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!