By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Time To Put The PS2 DVD Myth To Rest

It is not the crucial factor that some make it out to be, but DVD support right out of the box helped. The extra feature applies to modern day consoles as well.
The Xbox One S contains a UHD Blu-ray drive. Why would I pay $100-$120 for a UHD Player when I can get an Xbox One S for about $250? I don't have a gaming PC, or Xbox One or PS4. This is the most attractive option to me when I get a 4K TV down the line.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

In early 2000s my dad bought a Sony DVD reader/writer with integrated HDD, it was very hi tech for the time, PS2 wasn't in consideration as we never had any gaming consoles, I didn't even know that PS2 existed.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

While I initially got a PS2 primarily for games, I used it more for the DVD player. I didn't ever hear about some of its third or first party content till years later. In fact, I gamed more on the GameCube and it had the multi plats like Soul Calibur II and NBA Street.

There is no myth.

By now core gamers need to realise that we are simply not the majority in our hobby and have never been. Behind every successful gaming console that attracted core gamers, it attracted even more casual gamers who bought the product because of a feature and or game which back then was all the hype whether it was a cd player, dvd player, 4 player funcionality, online play, motion controls, Super Mario Bros., Tetris, Pokemon, GTA, Gran Turismo, Wii Sports or Kinect Sports you name it.

Another reason the PS2 was so succesful is because it released at the right time when internet was not a daily life neccessity, (not like today anyways) no smarthpones, no tablets, no heavy focus on social media, no youtube, hell we were still using Internet Explorer. So yes it had a huge advantage over other consoles and other multimedia products in general because of it's good pricing, Sony's good reputation and mainstream place in the gaming market it was seen as a console not just for kids but for everyone, for those who wanted to play RPGs, shooters, racers and for those who just wanted to play Eyetoy and FiFA once in a while and then watch a movie with their friends.

Every time I read a thread about ps2 history, I always get a craving to start playing mine. And yes 2001 didn't have a lot till the fall for ps2, there were a few standouts such as some of the Enders with MGS2 demo, the bouncer, Onimusha, atv off road fury, extermination, then July brought gt3 a spec and klonoa 2. Much better than many consoles get their first year.

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:

I decided to make this thread because I have noticed a myth being thrown out there as fact on a few threads.  Mainly those talking about the PS2's sales compared to the PS4's.

The myth goes like this...When the PS2 launched in late 2000 WW, it was around the same price as a cheap DVD player, so many just picked it up to have the benefits of a DVD player, that they might decide to occassionally play games on.  It's mainly used as a way to either explain the PS2's success and/or explain why the PS4 can't match the PS2.  There's one big glaring problem with that.  It's a big, fat lie.  Well, at least an ignorance on the subject.

You see, in late 2000, you could pick up a cheap DVD player for around $150, or half the price of a PS2.  Here's a link to a blog where they were looking for the $99 DVD players announced in a Yahoo News article (sadly this is not archived), but only found ones not discounted.  Searching online, they found GE and Zenith models for ~$149, a Samsung for $160, and Walmart had a GE player for $139.  And during the holidays, especially Black Friday, you could pick up one for $99, or 1/3 the price of a PS2.  The site in the first link got a bunch of replies from their readers and wrote another article about the $99 players being available for Black Friday.

This myth gets even sillier the further you look into the PS2's lifetime.  You see DVD players dropped in price quite quickly.  By 2003, they could be bought for under $50.  Keep in mind that this was less than 1/3 the price of the then $179 PS2.  Here is a Black Friday ad from 2004, that advertises a DVD player for under $18.  That's less than 1/8th the price of the then $149 PS2.  This price thing is also silly, as it does not explain why the Xbox, which was the exact same price as the PS2, wasn't also bought as a cheap DVD player.  Are people really going to try and say that a required $30 DVD kit was all that was stopping consumers from buying the Xbox en masse?

There is something else that disproves the DVD player myth.  SW attach ratios.  It's just like how we can prove the PS3 wasn't bought by millions upon millions of for its Bluray player function.  The PS3's SW attach ratio is basically tied with the 360's, which only used a DVD drive.  If there were so many people who bought it for Bluray, the attach ratio would have been MUCH smaller.  Similarly with PS2, its attach ratio would have been much lower if 25M+ of its sales were mainly for DVD use.  Instead it is right there behind the 360 and PS3, with just one less game bought per console, at 10.5:1.  And it's attach ratio is also very similar to the Xbox's.

So, I think it is time to put this ridiculous myth to rest.  It's obvious the PS2 sold so well because it had 3 things most PS systems have.  Great price.  Great 1st party support.  Great 3rd party support.  It's the same reason the PS4 is doing so well.  Granted, I don't think the PS4 will match the PS2, but 100M+ is pretty much guaranteed.  Thoughts?

Not sure how old you are, but whatever info that you have is wrong.  I managed Best Buy Stores at that time.  During the 1st 6 months after the PS2 lauch, it was hard to get due to limited stock.  But, after that it was the best selling DVD player for about a year and a half.  Yes, there might have been some super cheap dvd players eventually, but good dvd players cost $400+.  At Best Buy, we literally sold a PS2 to anyone wanted a good dvd player or high end video set up.  I was a manager and I must have sold a 1,000 PS2's myself as DVD players.  The hardest thing to get was the PS2 DVD remote.

So, YES, the PS2 had a huge amount of sales due to the DVD function.  

It is near the end of the end....

Landguy said:
thismeintiel said:

I decided to make this thread because I have noticed a myth being thrown out there as fact on a few threads.  Mainly those talking about the PS2's sales compared to the PS4's.

The myth goes like this...When the PS2 launched in late 2000 WW, it was around the same price as a cheap DVD player, so many just picked it up to have the benefits of a DVD player, that they might decide to occassionally play games on.  It's mainly used as a way to either explain the PS2's success and/or explain why the PS4 can't match the PS2.  There's one big glaring problem with that.  It's a big, fat lie.  Well, at least an ignorance on the subject.

You see, in late 2000, you could pick up a cheap DVD player for around $150, or half the price of a PS2.  Here's a link to a blog where they were looking for the $99 DVD players announced in a Yahoo News article (sadly this is not archived), but only found ones not discounted.  Searching online, they found GE and Zenith models for ~$149, a Samsung for $160, and Walmart had a GE player for $139.  And during the holidays, especially Black Friday, you could pick up one for $99, or 1/3 the price of a PS2.  The site in the first link got a bunch of replies from their readers and wrote another article about the $99 players being available for Black Friday.

This myth gets even sillier the further you look into the PS2's lifetime.  You see DVD players dropped in price quite quickly.  By 2003, they could be bought for under $50.  Keep in mind that this was less than 1/3 the price of the then $179 PS2.  Here is a Black Friday ad from 2004, that advertises a DVD player for under $18.  That's less than 1/8th the price of the then $149 PS2.  This price thing is also silly, as it does not explain why the Xbox, which was the exact same price as the PS2, wasn't also bought as a cheap DVD player.  Are people really going to try and say that a required $30 DVD kit was all that was stopping consumers from buying the Xbox en masse?

There is something else that disproves the DVD player myth.  SW attach ratios.  It's just like how we can prove the PS3 wasn't bought by millions upon millions of for its Bluray player function.  The PS3's SW attach ratio is basically tied with the 360's, which only used a DVD drive.  If there were so many people who bought it for Bluray, the attach ratio would have been MUCH smaller.  Similarly with PS2, its attach ratio would have been much lower if 25M+ of its sales were mainly for DVD use.  Instead it is right there behind the 360 and PS3, with just one less game bought per console, at 10.5:1.  And it's attach ratio is also very similar to the Xbox's.

So, I think it is time to put this ridiculous myth to rest.  It's obvious the PS2 sold so well because it had 3 things most PS systems have.  Great price.  Great 1st party support.  Great 3rd party support.  It's the same reason the PS4 is doing so well.  Granted, I don't think the PS4 will match the PS2, but 100M+ is pretty much guaranteed.  Thoughts?

Not sure how old you are, but whatever info that you have is wrong.  I managed Best Buy Stores at that time.  During the 1st 6 months after the PS2 lauch, it was hard to get due to limited stock.  But, after that it was the best selling DVD player for about a year and a half.  Yes, there might have been some super cheap dvd players eventually, but good dvd players cost $400+.  At Best Buy, we literally sold a PS2 to anyone wanted a good dvd player or high end video set up.  I was a manager and I must have sold a 1,000 PS2's myself as DVD players.  The hardest thing to get was the PS2 DVD remote.

Exactly. Its also why sega developed a DVD add on for dreamcast that never made it to market and microsoft put a DVD player in the Xbox. They saw the huge advantage Sony had and wanted a piece of the pie. Except for them it was too late. Sony was already firmly ahead and would remain there for the entirety of the generation. 

Landguy said:
thismeintiel said:

Sorry, but I have actual facts in my OP.  With links. Not anecdotal evidence that I'm trying to recall from 16-17 years ago.  PS2 helped DVD. Not the other way around.  Not saying it was never bought for a DVD player, but with much cheaper options around, even for good ones, you would have been a fool to do so.  At the very most, 2M-3M sales were because of the feature. And even then, I'd think it would be overestimating it.

thismeintiel said:
Landguy said:

Sorry, but I have actual facts in my OP.  With links. Not anecdotal evidence that I'm trying to recall from 16-17 years ago.  PS2 helped DVD. Not the other way around.  Not saying it was never bought for a DVD player, but with much cheaper options around, even for good ones, you would have been a fool to do so.  At the very most, 2M-3M sales were because of the feature. And even then, I'd think it would be overestimating it.

Nice try, but like I said, I was a store manager.  I had over 200 employees at my store working for me.  This wasn't my directive, but a corporate plan for all best buy stores.  Best buy didn't make any money on the system sales at all, as they were sold at cost.  The money was made on cables, remotes, surge, and some games/movies.  Sure, a corporate directive is anecdotal to only hundreds of best buy stores, but it was common knowledge at the time that the ps2 was being sold as a dvd player.  if anything it helped the ps brand expand and i am sure that millions of people bought games too.

I do agree that it didn't make or break the system.  but even if it added 2-5 million sales, that concept carried over to the ps3.  it created a whole generation of people sold on the playstation being the best dvd/bluray player out there.

It is near the end of the end....

OP might have a point considering lot's of people in this thread raising denial about it enough to grasp at straws by comparing the price of DVD players to the price of a PS2 in different regions ...

I would say DVDs only significantly contributed to the PS2's early lifetime for at most 6 months, claiming anymore than that is fairly disingenuous as time continued on the price of DVD players are more than competitive in comparison to the PS2's price point ...

The PS2 wasn't being sold early on solely because of the DVD playback functionality so much as it was riding on the success of the PS1 ...

DVDs also didn't get wide spread traction until well after the launch of the PS2 deep into it's life where new games became the selling point ...