By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Yokai Watch on the ps4?

Tagged games:

Next year we will most likely see the release of yokai watch 4. 3DS is probably one platform it will release on.  Switch then seems like the next most obvious. 

But my question is,  could we see it on ps4? 

A few years back you'd have called me crazy if I said the best platform for dragon quest and monster hunter fans would be the ps4. But now ps4 has dragon quest builders,  dragon quest heroes 1&2 and soon to have the superior version of DQ11 exclusively at launch. Even DQX is coming soon.  Monster Hunters next mainline entry will be ps4 exclusive in Japan. 

So while yokai watch might not seem like an obvious fit for PlayStation it's definitely possible. If you were Sony a few years back looking at the biggest third party games in Japan not on Playstation you'd probably highlight monster hunter,  dragon quest and yokai watch.  2/3 are now there so could YW follow suit? 

The biggest negative against this is the fact YW probably wouldn't be a good fit for the ps4 audience unlike MH and DQ. 

Thoughts? 

Around the Network

Why though ? Yokai Watch is made to cater to the Pokémon audience which is mobile...

Kyuu said:
Luke888 said:
Why though ? Yokai Watch is made to cater to the Pokémon audience which is mobile...

They said the same thing about Monster Hunter.

Yeah, but that was the developers decision to go a more western console focused market. Plus, PS consoles really isn't that popular in Japan anymore. Level 5, specifically Akihiro Hino said that they're developing multiple Switch games so it'd be safe to bet one of them is a YW game. They'd be insane not to. In 4 months, Switch has already surpassed 1/5th of Japan's PS4 install base, this is the time to make sure you leave some kind of mark on Switch. 

As for the OP, no. Not unless Level 5 all of a sudden wants to prioritze the West over the East in terms of their target demographic.

Level-5 is working on a Switch game and would not doubt if it is a YW game. Even MH I could see somewhat plus been ported to consoles before but YW seems far less likely. YW is far more tailor made for a portable system.

Yokai Watch appeals heavily to the mobile market. Putting it on the PS4 isn't a smart move

Around the Network
Ljink96 said:
Kyuu said:

They said the same thing about Monster Hunter.

Yeah, but that was the developers decision to go a more western console focused market. Plus, PS consoles really isn't that popular in Japan anymore. Level 5, specifically Akihiro Hino said that they're developing multiple Switch games so it'd be safe to bet one of them is a YW game. They'd be insane not to. In 4 months, Switch has already surpassed 1/5th of Japan's PS4 install base, this is the time to make sure you leave some kind of mark on Switch. 

As for the OP, no. Not unless Level 5 all of a sudden wants to prioritze the West over the East in terms of their target demographic.

But if Level 5 are making a Switch version, there isn't much reason not to port it to the PS4, unless Ninty pays them not too.

The first Yokai Watch was going to be on home consoles back in 2011 when it was shown so it´s not a crazy idea. But I think the IP is going to stay with Nintendo :)
Yokai Watch 3 keeps selling and with the release of the "Selects" version on july it will mantain its legs so I would not consider it a flop.
If the IP launches on another console not related to Nintendo I would totally buy that console, I love Yokai Watch

If it comes out for switch it would be a good idea to port it. An exclusive would be wrong though

When they originally announced the game it looked like it was for the PS3 or Vita.

Considering DQ and MH both came to PS4, much bigger IPs than YW, it's possible. I dunno if the franchise still has staying power to warrant a bigger budget game, but I'd definitely take a game that looked like the art

We need more games that look like actual animes and thanks to the processing power of PS4, it can look more like the actual show. With Ninokuni 2 and the new DBZ cel shading this gen is really amazing. If Level5 were making a Switch game, I'd expect it to come to PS4 as well, like a lot of Vita games got a PS4 port.

Kerotan said:

Next year we will most likely see the release of yokai watch 4. 3DS is probably one platform it will release on.  Switch then seems like the next most obvious. 

But my question is,  could we see it on ps4? 

A few years back you'd have called me crazy if I said the best platform for dragon quest and monster hunter fans would be the ps4. But now ps4 has dragon quest builders,  dragon quest heroes 1&2 and soon to have the superior version of DQ11 exclusively at launch. Even DQX is coming soon.  Monster Hunters next mainline entry will be ps4 exclusive in Japan

So while yokai watch might not seem like an obvious fit for PlayStation it's definitely possible. If you were Sony a few years back looking at the biggest third party games in Japan not on Playstation you'd probably highlight monster hunter,  dragon quest and yokai watch.  2/3 are now there so could YW follow suit? 

The biggest negative against this is the fact YW probably wouldn't be a good fit for the ps4 audience unlike MH and DQ. 

Thoughts? 

No... I'd say you're probably new to the series or at least ignorant to platforms they've been on because DQ7 and 8 were on the PS1/2, respectively, and MH was originally on PS2 before being ported to PSP...