By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie: the 4K audience is “a bit too limited,” talks fan feedback

curl-6 said:
Kerotan said:

Obviously they can't please everyone which you just demonstrated but luckily they satisfy the majority and hence their awesome sales this gen. 

One particular alocade this gen is the tsunami of Japanese titles hitting the platform in the west during 2016 and 2017 so far.  2018 is looking stellar too with big IPs like MHW. They really are hitting it out of the park in terms of software support this gen. 

Luckily for both of us, they don't need to satisfy me; Nintendo have me covered.

That's perfectly fine. Not everybody wants good games with good graphics. 

Around the Network

I myself don't even have any idea when I'll get a 4K display, it could be multiple years from now, so there's no point in me getting excited for 4K at the moment.

Kerotan said:
curl-6 said:

Luckily for both of us, they don't need to satisfy me; Nintendo have me covered.

I do want good games with graphics; Nintendo makes the best games in the industry in my book, and Switch graphics are good enough for me. Games like Mario Odyssey and Kingdom Battle look gorgeous.

curl-6 said:
Kerotan said:

I do want good games with graphics; Nintendo makes the best games in the industry in my book, and Switch graphics are good enough for me. Games like Mario Odyssey and Kingdom Battle look gorgeous.

That's why I like Sony.  The best graphics on console and top class games to go with it. 

Kerotan said:
curl-6 said:

That's why I like Sony.  The best graphics on console and top class games to go with it. 

If I wanted the best graphics I'd save up and get a gaming PC, but honestly the whole Triple A scene has really lost its appeal for me over the last few years, I'm kinda burned out on big bombastic blockbusters, while the indie scene generally isn't my cup of tea. I prefer that middle ground that games like Splatoon or ARMS occupy.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Kerotan said:

If I wanted the best graphics I'd save up and get a gaming PC, but honestly the whole Triple A scene has really lost its appeal for me over the last few years, I'm kinda burned out on big bombastic blockbusters, while the indie scene generally isn't my cup of tea. I prefer that middle ground that games like Splatoon or ARMS occupy.

The beauty of a console though is you get great graphics for a great price.  like ps4 graphics are way better then switch yet it's cheaper to buy.  More money to spend on games.  

You got burnt out out of the triple A scene.  I on the other hand got burnt out of cartoony games when I was around 12 and move onto more mature experiences. 

Kerotan said:
curl-6 said:

The beauty of a console though is you get great graphics for a great price.  like ps4 graphics are way better then switch yet it's cheaper to buy.  More money to spend on games.  

You got burnt out out of the triple A scene.  I on the other hand got burnt out of cartoony games when I was around 12 and move onto more mature experiences. 

Switch graphics look plenty nice to me. They may not be PS4 calibre but they meet my needs in the same way as PS4 meets your needs despite not looking as good as a high end PC.

And I'd actually argue that Splatoon and Mario have a lot of appeal to adults; in fact, I'm pretty sure the majority of the people playing those games are adults, since a huge chunk of the Nintendo fanbase are gamers in their 30s who grew up on the NES, SNES, and N64.

I tend to agree. the 4K TV set install base is still pretty small. Will be interesting to see whether XOX and PS4P help to drive 4K TV sales. I expect 4K TVs to be a substantial proportion of the TV install based by the time PS5 and Xb Two come along.

It is important that the TV market is primed with PS4P and XOX? I don't know.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

curl-6 said:
Kerotan said:

Switch graphics look plenty nice to me. They may not be PS4 calibre but they meet my needs in the same way as PS4 meets your needs despite not looking as good as a high end PC.

And I'd actually argue that Splatoon and Mario have a lot of appeal to adults; in fact, I'm pretty sure the majority of the people playing those games are adults, since a huge chunk of the Nintendo fanbase are gamers in their 30s who grew up on the NES, SNES, and N64.

Oh definitely.  I grew up on the PS1 and loved cartoony games targeted at kids too.  I'd still play the odd one for the nostalgia such as the crash remaster next month but for the most part I've grown out of the kids games.  

Kerotan said:
curl-6 said:

Oh definitely.  I grew up on the PS1 and loved cartoony games targeted at kids too.  I'd still play the odd one for the nostalgia such as the crash remaster next month but for the most part I've grown out of the kids games.  

I wouldn't say Mario or Splatoon are "kid's games"; they're games for all ages, being kid-friendly doesn't stop adults enjoying them.