By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie: the 4K audience is “a bit too limited,” talks fan feedback

The_Yoda said:
maxleresistant said:

he's wrong

Like Nintendo was wrong to not have disc for the N64
To not have online and media capabilities on the NGC
To not have HD on Wii
Etc etc

Nintendo doesn't understand that consoles are one of the biggest way to spread new technologies, they need to be ahead of the curve, not behind.

Kotaku actually did a poll, and 40% of the people answering to the poll said they own a 4K TV. And 48%those who said they didn't said they'll proably get one in the coming year. https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/06/do-you-own-a-4k-tv/

So right now the market is shifting heavily from HD to UHD, all those PS4pro and Xbox One X are going to help sell a lot of 4K TVs. It's going really fast, and the Switch, is already way behind when it comes to being a proper home console.  It will still be a good handheld in a year or two, but it will be completely outdated as a home system, and third party support is going to be non-existent.

That's the reality, and I hope Nintendo one day stop being such a dumbass, and makes a decent home console again.

Do you think they will struggle with development when they do start using 4K? If they went for 4k now and struggled can you imagine the droubts and what those droubts would do to the Switch.  I think those droubts, with were Nintendo is at in the market (i.e. see lack of confidence) , would have been coffin nails for Nintendo on your big home TV. HH/Mobile would be were they got stuck.  Do I think they made the right call? Yeah probably they played safe again and I kind of think they had to because you're right - impressive thrid party offerings will be non-existent in a few years (even if the switch sells like mad but it's still a little early to be calling the machine a success just yet in terms of what markethare it will end up at)

I think that whatever they decide, they will struggle. Nintendo has become quite incompetent when it comes to work on current graphics.

They had 7 years to prepare for HD with the WiiU, they still managed to screw that up big time. As for the Switch, I don't expect a handheld to have 4K capabilities, if Nintendo were to released a 4K console in the near future, it would obviously be a home console, mobile components are at least a decade from being able to handle 4K graphics.

Also, it's "droughts" not "droubts"

The reality of the switch is that it's the same old games but now on a handheld. People are like "it's so cool to see home console games on a handheld", but in a year nobody will give a crap, all that will be left is a system with WiiU graphics (graphics that were already outdated in 2012) and awful third party support.

Which would be fine if the Switch was replacing the 3DS, but no, it's the new "home console".

Around the Network
pokoko said:

If they want their products to be inherently affordable then why add a 3D feature to a handheld console or an expensive controller to a home console?

To reach as many gamers as possible ;)

maxleresistant said:
The_Yoda said:

Do you think they will struggle with development when they do start using 4K? If they went for 4k now and struggled can you imagine the droubts and what those droubts would do to the Switch.  I think those droubts, with were Nintendo is at in the market (i.e. see lack of confidence) , would have been coffin nails for Nintendo on your big home TV. HH/Mobile would be were they got stuck.  Do I think they made the right call? Yeah probably they played safe again and I kind of think they had to because you're right - impressive thrid party offerings will be non-existent in a few years (even if the switch sells like mad but it's still a little early to be calling the machine a success just yet in terms of what markethare it will end up at)

I think that whatever they decide, they will struggle. Nintendo has become quite incompetent when it comes to work on current graphics.

They had 7 years to prepare for HD with the WiiU, they still managed to screw that up big time. As for the Switch, I don't expect a handheld to have 4K capabilities, if Nintendo were to released a 4K console in the near future, it would obviously be a home console, mobile components are at least a decade from bein able to handle 4K graphics.

Also the it's "droughts" not "droubts"

The reality of the switch is that it's the same old games but now on a handheld. People are like "it's so cool to see home console games on a handheld", but in a year nobody will give a crap, all that will be left is a system with WiiU graphics (graphics that were already outdated in 2012) and awful third party support.

Which would be fine if the Switch was replacing the 3DS, but no, it's the new "home console".

Oh no it's droubts

droubt
noun
noun: droubt; plural noun: droubts
a prolonged period of abnormally low output; an increase of doubt resulting from this.
hopefully you buy this as intent
Ok so say they gave us a home console capapble of 4k instead of the switch do you think third parties would come immediately?   If no then Nintendo would have to mostly rely on their own software (again). Do you think they could have kept up enough first party to move significant enough numbers of units to entice third parties ?

Dyllyo said:
This is no surprise at all.

Remember when the Wii came out? Gamers were pissed it wasn't HD. Reggie simply said "Sorry, we don't feel like enough people have HD tvs to justify making an HD console".

They'll go 4K eventually probably, but with games that have a timeless, artistic aesthetic, you don't really NEED to rely on resolution to make a gorgeous game.

People said the same thing about wii games and then dolphin emulator came out. I'm sure you know how many threads were created about how good Mario Galaxy looks in 1080p.

Kerotan said:
curl-6 said:

Sony's approach isn't really my cup of tea, I find their hardware kind of boring and their first party output mostly unappealing.

Obviously they can't please everyone which you just demonstrated but luckily they satisfy the majority and hence their awesome sales this gen. 

One particular alocade this gen is the tsunami of Japanese titles hitting the platform in the west during 2016 and 2017 so far.  2018 is looking stellar too with big IPs like MHW. They really are hitting it out of the park in terms of software support this gen. 

Luckily for both of us, they don't need to satisfy me; Nintendo have me covered.

Around the Network
The_Yoda said:
maxleresistant said:

They had 7 years to prepare for HD with the WiiU, they still managed to screw that up big time. As for the Switch, I don't expect a handheld to have 4K capabilities, if Nintendo were to released a 4K console in the near future, it would obviously be a home console, mobile components are at least a decade from bein able to handle 4K graphics.

Also the it's "droughts" not "droubts"

Oh no it's droubts

droubt
noun
a prolonged period of abnormally low output; an increase of doubt resulting from this.
Ok so say they gave us a home console capapble of 4k instead of the switch do you think third parties would come immediately?   If no then Nintendo would have to mostly rely on their own software (again). Do you think they could have kept up enough first party to move significant enough numbers of units to entice third parties ?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Droubt 

I think Nintendo's strategy to come back with a powerful system is a strategy that can't happen in one generation. It's also a strategy that would require them to invest a lot, take the leash off NOA and NOE, and support third party games and publishers, like for example a Fifa Bundle, or help promote third party games etc.

All Nintendo needs to do, is have a powerful enough system to run third party games, and help those third party games sells well on their system, if they manage to do that, more and more games will come to the system.

The Switch strategy is cute, but it will not work long term.

chakkra said:

He is right about the 4K thing, but it irks me to no end every time they use the phrase "we want our products to be affordable".  Like, really?? the New 3DS XL is still selling for $200 and the Wii U for $300!

And the Switch is more expensive than the PS4 (WITH A GAME INCLUDED!).

Now, I can accept the "we offer games that can only be played here" and "we offer new ways to play" but "affordable" is a word that they should be using.

Excellent point. Also, if they wanted their GAMES to be affordable they'd have some decent sales from time to time. It's the n1 reason I refuse to buy Ninty hardware.

I actually agree with him, I don't think there's a meaningful audience to make the jump to 4k. And, well, I don't see the point tbh. Nintendo is doing their own thing, so I don't see why they have to compete with Sony or MS in this "power war", so to speak. If they manage to have a strong first party output, and the usual handheld third party support, I don't see the Switch failing. I actually think it will be a sucess, despite powah.

Also, I think Nintendo is now really comfortable with HD development, obviously, so we're seeing pretty ambitious games from Nintendo. Odyssey and before BOTW show this. I don't think there's a rush to the 4k jump nowadays. I don't really think it'll bring something meaningful or new to the table. 

maxleresistant said:
The_Yoda said:

Oh no it's droubts

droubt
noun

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Droubt  LOL of course you'll find that on Urban you need to look at gamerdictionary.nerd silly Max

I think Nintendo's strategy to come back with a powerful system is a strategy that can't happen in one generation. It's also a strategy that would require them to invest a lot, take the leash off NOA and NOE, and support third party games and publishers, like for example a Fifa Bundle, or help promote third party games etc.

All Nintendo needs to do, is have a powerful enough system to run third party games, and help those third party games sells well on their system, if they manage to do that, more and more games will come to the system.

The Switch strategy is cute, but it will not work long term.

"I think Nintendo's strategy to come back with a powerful system is a strategy that can't happen in one generation."  Are you saying they need to be on par with MSony for a few gernerations so that multiplat is always possible while building relations with third party? They would need price parity when they launched I would think. Being the third box I can see them maybe beating out MS (unless MS manages to throw enough money at it to turn things around).  Do you think they would gain marketshare through the droubts (yeah I'm doubling down on the word) , maintian, or lose?

"take the leash off NOA and NOE" not saying you're wrong but good lord I just don't see that out of Nintendo. It would be cool to have another Retro or three though.

"All Nintendo needs to do, is have a powerful enough system to run third party games" I could argue (albiet not well) that the WiiU could be used with a 'normal controller' and was more powerful in some aspects than the PS3 and 360 yet they still got more games and sold better at points than the U. Do you think they (could / would choose) to survive on a few generations of WiiU like sales?

Slighty off subject do you think people would pay an equal amount for a Nintendo system as they would for a Sony or Xbox.  I seem to remember people saying they would only pay 250 for the next Nintendo system while we were still calling it the NX. I'm not saying Nintendo didn't do it to themselves over a couple generations but people don't seem to value Nintendo hardware like they do software.  Are people unwilling to pay the same price (the $300 sweet spot as Reggie alluded to) as they are for a PSwhatever ($400 sometimes plus)?

Sorry man I haven't slept and my sentence structure is worse than normal as far as being easy to follow.

Ninty inventing 4k with its 13th gen console confirmed.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!