By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Illinois sweetened beverage tax goes into effect July 1st 2017-moved to the 12th now

They are probably still going to be scratching their heads and wondering why they are losing a person every 5 minutes as people move out of state. https://www.illinoispolicy.org/illinois-out-migration-rate-many-times-worse-than-rates-in-surrounding-states/

Illinois really is the California of the Midwest (at least California has nice weather though), I never understood why anyone would want to live there. Wisconsin has its fair share of problems *cough* high taxes *cough*, but we aren't going to nickle and dime you every time you want to drink a Coke, or just drive on the roads for that matter (I think Illinois is going to have more tolls on the road then it will have people living in the state soon). 

Around the Network

I don't drink soda. It's honestly disgusting. It like drinking acid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Signalstar said:
I don't drink soda. It's honestly disgusting. It like drinking acid.

Reading all these posts... soda drinks and candy bars and sugar products are apparently a necessity of life that we just can't live without and how dare the government impose its taxation laws against such a vital food (if that's what you want to call it). We aren't self-absorbed...

The tax includes juice? Are you sure, spurge? Cause that sounds ridiculous if true. Juice is expensive enough as it is.

Ironically some of the biggest cheerleaders of these types of taxes are the ones who frequent chains like Starbucks the most whose sugary, syrupy drinks put any juice or soda product to shame. They'll force their taxes on the poor who just want to enjoy the occasional can or bottle of Coke, while plunking down $5 for their Unicorn Frappuccino. Just look at the freaking nutrition facts for this thing...

Nutrition Facts Per Serving (16 fl oz) Calories 410 Calories from Fat 140
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16g 25%
Saturated Fat 10g 50%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 45mg 15%
Sodium 230mg 10%
Total Carbohydrate 62g 21%
Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
Sugars 59g
Protein 5g

https://www.starbucks.com/menu/drinks/frappuccino-blended-beverages/unicorn-frappuccino-blended-cr%C3%A8me

They should put a 100% sales tax on garbage like this. I'm sure their customers won't mind paying their "fair share" one bit.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network
Ganoncrotch said:
monocle_layton said:
To be honest though, you really shouldn't drink soda if a couple of cents devastates you. Chances are you aren't exactly in the best (or healthiest) of conditions

What if you're a diabetic who needs sugar at times, this fucking tax really makes life hell for people like myself, they halved the amount of sugar which is lucozade means that I now have to use other methods of getting sugar back up when I'm in need including now bringing around 2 bottles instead of one because idiots don't understand that taking sugar away from drinks isn't going to stop people making bad choices and drinking more if you want it.

There we go- if you're diabetic, then you aren't super healthy.

The US has a huge issue with obesity. Michelle tried reforming school lunches, they kept pushing exercise everywhere, and now we see fat tax. What else can we do? The food industry obviously won't help- it'll only make it worse. After all, many industries paid scientists to fabricate studies in their favour. It's why people avoid fats but are fine with eating sugar, grains, dairy, and red meat to their graves

I feel bad for people like you. Diabetes isn't fun for anyone. Trust me, having relatives with it lets me know they cannot control it. However, is soda the only efficient way to solve your sugar issue? My cousin uses lollipops or candy typically

NightDragon83 said:
Ironically some of the biggest cheerleaders of these types of taxes are the ones who frequent chains like Starbucks the most whose sugary, syrupy drinks put any juice or soda product to shame. They'll force their taxes on the poor who just want to enjoy the occasional can or bottle of Coke, while plunking down $5 for their Unicorn Frappuccino. Just look at the freaking nutrition facts for this thing...

Nutrition Facts Per Serving (16 fl oz) Calories 410 Calories from Fat 140
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16g 25%
Saturated Fat 10g 50%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 45mg 15%
Sodium 230mg 10%
Total Carbohydrate 62g 21%
Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
Sugars 59g
Protein 5g

https://www.starbucks.com/menu/drinks/frappuccino-blended-beverages/unicorn-frappuccino-blended-cr%C3%A8me

They should put a 100% sales tax on garbage like this. I'm sure their customers won't mind paying their "fair share" one bit.

I would actually be fine with 100% tax on that. Heck, fuck it- make it 200%. 59g is simply ridiculous. Not even a box of sugar-coated candy has this much.

At the end of the day though, they can tax americans as much as they want. Matter of fact is that we're fat because of our terrible diets, bad sleep schedules, nonexistent exercise routines, and the lack of effort.

Taxing the rich multinational corporations and eliminating tax free loopholes for the super rich will raise more taxes than penny pinching from the poor.

This tax doesn't attack anyone. It's probably in effect to steer people away from obesity and unhealthy life choices by incentevising, natural non-articficially sweetend juices and tees as well as water over sodas and all that crap that rots your teeth away and gives you a heart attack by 50.

It sucks that your store is right on the border and that you might loose buisness because it isn't a nationwide law, but it isn't neccissarily a bad law.

Ganoncrotch said:
monocle_layton said:
To be honest though, you really shouldn't drink soda if a couple of cents devastates you. Chances are you aren't exactly in the best (or healthiest) of conditions

What if you're a diabetic who needs sugar at times, this fucking tax really makes life hell for people like myself, they halved the amount of sugar which is lucozade means that I now have to use other methods of getting sugar back up when I'm in need including now bringing around 2 bottles instead of one because idiots don't understand that taking sugar away from drinks isn't going to stop people making bad choices and drinking more if you want it.

One of my friends in primary school had that problem, he would go cataconic if he needed sugar. Bananas and grapes as well as other fruit with high sugar percentages work well. You could also just always carry a Dextro-Energy packet, to be sure. You're not neccissarly dependent on sodas or candy bars to help yourself with that.

barneystinson69 said:

Taxes will do nothing to stop people from buying products. It just hurts consumers and companies over time - just like here in Canada.

Not true. A lot of people have quit smoking because of how expensive it' gotten.