By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Illinois sweetened beverage tax goes into effect July 1st 2017-moved to the 12th now

NanakiXI said:
Teeqoz said:

Apparently they got less revenue than expected because soda sales fell more than expected. That's a huge success imo

You seem to be under the assumption that they are trying to make people healthy. They are doing this for pre-k and if it flops because of less consumption, then this program fails for education and hurts the exact people they are trying to help.

*Edit* - just to add, this most likely hasn't cut consumption. Just causes more people to drive further and use more gas. Which last I checked is not good for our environment.

To be honest, it doesn't matter too much to me if they actually care about the health of people (which I think they do, at least to some degree), as long as what they are doing could potentially improve health. If the reduced consumption means they don't get enough revenue from that tax to meet its goals, which in turn leads to worse public services, then that is a problem, but that doesn't mean that the soda tax itself is a problem. If they removed it, they would get no additional revenue. It also has the potential beneficial side effect of better health, which is good for both the people and the economy.

Now, as I've said in this thread before, it would have a much bigger effect if it was a statewide (or even nationwide) tax, but baby steps... Slowly, more and more places are imposing a sugary soft beverage tax.

Around the Network
Arminillo said:
NanakiXI said:

Of coarse it should be cheap, but it shouldn't be void of this tax either (no beverage should). Your taking a side note of mine with no real bases and spinning it, while also missing the point about better water filtration and distributions (which means cleaner and cheaper water for everyone). I'm not going to go into detail but something like taxing individual bottles or premium brands. Irregardless this would also be bad, as taxes like these never help who they are actually supposed to help and punish those who don't have a choice or don't understand how to budget and spend. Also water should not be hard to attain and free for all, wether your a millionaire or the poorest person in Flint, Michigan.

"Water should be free for all" yet taxing it isnt going in the reverse of that? You said yourself that water should be obtainable even for the poorest person in Flint, and you know what they needed to drink due to the problems with their water supply? Bottled water.

All im trying to say is that taxing water bottles would only harm people. The fact of life is that water isnt free, and that bottled water is not a luxury. On a final note, taxes dont work on universal basis, if a tax doesnt include something, it doesnt include something, thats how it works.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/252408/market-share-of-bottled-still-water-in-the-us-by-brand/

First off your critical thinking and reading skills seem to be lacking. If your going to read what I post and turn it into your own skewed view then don't bother responding. If you want to have an educational debate then I'm all for that.

btw me stating "water should be free for all" is an opinion and I believe should be a basic human right. Just cause I'm arguing on one subject about taxes and maybe bottle water should be taxed, should not be seen as related directly to my free water statement. The world is not black and white, most things fall somewhere in the middle. And just because taxes don't work on a universal bases (they actually do somewhat in a lot of cases), doesn't mean that they shouldn't. I don't have all the answers but only through debate can things be worked out, on the other hand you don't have the right answers  either.

*edit* sorry if my original response came of rather harsh. I will not delete or edit the original text as I still think the point stands. Also I'm a person of my word and will not hide behind what I said by editing it out.

FootballFan - "GT has never been bigger than Halo. Now do a comparison between the two attach ratios and watch GT get stomped by Halo. Reach will sell 5 million more than GT5. Quote me on it."

spurgeonryan said:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-cook-county-soda-tax-preview-0625-biz-20170622-story.html

Currently it is only for Cook county, which is mostly Chicago and it's suburbs. The tax includes drinks with less that 50 percent milk, Soda, mixes that have sugar in them, juice, etc.

To go further the tax is not just a few cents per drink, it is a penny per ounce! How is that fair to anyone? This is not the same as sin tax which we have on tobacco and alcohol or the tax that is on ammunition. Those items are not something that everyone buys. You want a bad habit, then that is what you pay.

The sweetened beverage tax attacks everyone, including businesses in Cook county. It will cause such a large migration of shoppers that Cook county will lose more in sales tax than they will gain from suckers who are stuck paying this fee. By the way, the poor, whome I feel this tax should have been aimed at to help better their life, are not affected. Food stamps do not have sales tax.

Time will tell what the actual goal of this horrible tax. For now families across Illinois will have to suffer.

Thoughts?

I can see the arguement on both side but I would have to agree with the side of sales tax. It is one thing to be taxed for sugar, it is another to "suffer".

God, it must be awesome to not be awake to the corruption of government and just take whatever tax or poor reason for that tax up the ass, pretending that is all for the common good. And someone said the politicians don't see a significant amount of taxpayer money? Bwahahahaha!! Maybe not directly, but guess who does. Their buddies and/or companies that bribe politicians to rule on things that benefit those people. How the Hell do you think politicians go in making 10s, or maybe 100s, of thousands of dollars, but come out mulit-millionaires? It also helps that politicians have made themselves immune to insider trading.

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/257552283850653696?lang=en

Around the Network

Should be nationwide to really work and let people not just get it from the next town. People would be healthier on average and way more productive because of it. That average dude who drinks a gallon soda per day and who has diabetes does surely not help the society much and rather destroy it financially.

The guy who buys a soda once a week won't really suffer much from 30 cent or whatever more for a can per week.

Maybe they would at least stop to give their kids some litres of coke per day and fuck them up for the rest of their life with that because we all know that those who were already fat as kids will mostly never get slim again.

Let people feel bad financially when they buy too much per week with a lot of sugar or fat and the society will be in a much better condition overall over some years or decades.

I see this tax is quite heavy, more than the name 'penny-per-ounce' suggests.
As one example, a 2-liter bottle, which usually costs about $1, will incur a 67-cent soda tax.

Bigger news is that Illinois may be insolvent soon, so expect more tax raises.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/could-illinois-be-the-first-state-to-file-for-bankruptcy/

numberwang said:
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/257552283850653696?lang=en

Not really surprising, most thin people look out for their body and don't drink everything else just because it has no sugar in it.

Besides that, some sugar alternatives make you hungy so that you eat more when you drink that stuff. 

monocle_layton said:
To be honest though, you really shouldn't drink soda if a couple of cents devastates you. Chances are you aren't exactly in the best (or healthiest) of conditions

What if you're a diabetic who needs sugar at times, this fucking tax really makes life hell for people like myself, they halved the amount of sugar which is lucozade means that I now have to use other methods of getting sugar back up when I'm in need including now bringing around 2 bottles instead of one because idiots don't understand that taking sugar away from drinks isn't going to stop people making bad choices and drinking more if you want it.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Yep, more government intrusion on personal freedom. I'm glad they can look out for us on such important measures. Just give up the things you love because the government is overreaching. Yep just stop drinking soda and keep giving more control over one little sliver at a time. That's really a poor argument.