By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 Kept up with Combined PS3/360 Sales for 3 Years!

xl-klaudkil said:

noo one believed me because  " consoles  are dying " 

saying dedicated gaming devices are dying is obviously hyperbole but just because PS4 is doing great doesnt mean the market hasnt severely contracted.

Wii+DS+PSP+PS3+360 sold over 500 million units of hardware and 4 billion units of software.

Wii U+3DS+Vita+PS4+XBO will sell barely half that.

Wii to Wii U saw an ~85% decline in hardware/software

DS to 3DS saw a ~50% decline in hardware/software

PSP to Vita saw an ~80% decline in hardware/software

360 to XBO may see a 40% decline in hardware/software

PS3 to PS4 may see a 30% increase in hardware/software

1/5 devices seeing growth and an overall market decline of 45% isnt really something to jump for joy about.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Dallinor said:
Sony have hit their stride this gen, after limping and stumbling for quite a few years.

They only stumbled at the beginning of 7th Gen. It's just that they spent the rest of the generation coming back from it.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

xl-klaudkil said:
Lawlight said:

Very good post. If Sony decides to kill the PS4 after the PS5 like they did with the PS3, then 100M will be harder to reach but it will still reach it. If not, I think we're looking at 110M.

Did they kill the ps3 after  ps4 launched? 

Didn't  sony still release a couple  of games that people  really  complaint  about  it should  be on ps4?

Nintendo  en Microsoft  killed  there systems heck Nintendo  killed  the wiiu sooner then sony  killed vita.

I hate it when people  don't  know there  shit.

Ow i predicted  years ago ps4 will sell about  110-130 mill when everything  is said and done and damn i remember  noo one believed me because  " consoles  are dying " 

And " do you really  think  you know better  then analysts  that get paid a lot and have market information "

Heck  pretty  much all of my predictions i made starting  this gen was met with  criticism  and yet all of them came true :)  

I donmt mean kill the PS3's software support - I mean with regards to production and dropping the price.

This is quite impressive, but sales will surely slow down at one point.

paleselan said:

This is quite impressive, but sales will surely slow down at one point.

Nothing new when they are winning. Sonys target for this gen should be between 110 to 120 million consoles.

Around the Network
LethalP said:
US DOMINO said:
Awesome.. imagine when that $199 price hits tho 🤔

Yeah that's when the PS2 started to do the bigger numbers. People love value, even when Sony released the Gold PS4 with a 1TB HDD for $249, consumers instantly picked up on the fact it was good value with that much memory and it sold a ton. A $199 price tag should be even more obvious.

$199 this holiday with a bunch of these early year exclusives as bundled games would sell like hotcakes.  Horizon could be big bundle game this holiday

I am Iron Man

Azuren said:
Dallinor said:
Sony have hit their stride this gen, after limping and stumbling for quite a few years.

They only stumbled at the beginning of 7th Gen. It's just that they spent the rest of the generation coming back from it.

yeah when your big mistep is a console that has sold about 87 million units so far you know you have a great track record.  Still crazy to me that they broke in as a new player and sold 100m PS1 consoles when NES had only managed 60m.  I mean PS3 with all of its fails at launch still sold more than any Nintendo home console aside from Wii.  That's just crazy to think about it being their low point.

I am Iron Man

It was logical that Sony would expand their market this gen. I mean they had a $600 console that was difficult to reduce in price after a certain point (due to cell not getting it below $200 cutting off its late gen legs in lower tier countries) that also launched a year after the competition. So why on Earth would think they would do worse than 87m (what PS3 sold) unless they made those same huge mistakes again? E3 2013 was a monumental shift in the gaming industry. Sony turned their fortunes around and made MS look like the badguy to this day.

I am Iron Man

Lawlight said:
Do we have an estimated shipment number for the PS3?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=852304

10th july 2014  Neogaf thinks ~85m (minimum) (assumeing over 100m, means  exactly 100m).

Its basically 3 years lateron, and their still selling PS3's.

How close it actually is to say 90m, is anyones guess.

my respect for the best games-console, the PlayStation 4!