By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo business model is bad for gamers

Fast RMX, Breath of the Wild, Tetris Puyopuyo, Binding of Isaac, Mario Kart 8 DX, Arms, Shovelknight; I"ll have to disagree, there are games for some people, particularly considering its only been out a few months during one of the slower parts of the year.

With Skyrim, Fifa, Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade, Splatoon, Monster Hunter XX (Japan), Fire Emblem Warriors, Rayman Legends port all coming later this year its hardly an empty console.

probably shouldn't be taking this post seriously though oops 

Around the Network

Please. 90% of games for X1 & P4 are shoot everything that moves. That is killing gaming. In house or out, the Cos. all know hardcore boys will buy them even if the 'victim' is just slightly changed. But theses games promote a lack of developing original ways to play a game. Mario is Mario for sure, but N always adds a new way to play the same 'old thing' and people know the same old thing is very good to start with.

germibobi said:

I am blaming Nintendo for playing it super safe and boring but people keep rewarding and praising. Instead of doing new IPs there is this quirky Mario game Odysey or something: what in world even is this? But gamers and critics have both praised the hell out of it. I get it's probably a fun game but how can you stack up this games against games like Red Dead, Anthem, etc.

Where is their 3rd party support? How can the get away with literally most AAA games not coming to their flagmanship console? If this Microsoft or Sony, they'd be slaughtered and no one would buy their system. 

They literally put a graphic for the new Metroid and people lost their shit. Like do we even know when it's coming? 2020 or so?

Comparing Mario to red dead and anthem? Do you want every game to be an open world, amazing looking adventure? Sure, they're great but we need variety. Perhaps some of the praise is because of this. Nintendo beats to it's own drum.

Also, this is the first mass market hybrid system. Not sure how that's playing it safe. Ps4 is a console playing it safe. Packing Kinect at launch with the xbox one was a risk. It didn't pay off. Removed it, played it safe. I don't think you understand exactly what the term playing it safe means.

germibobi said:

They have shown your console doesn't even have to have all the big AAA 3rd party stuff and you can still sell it like hotcakes. They have shown it's OK to have like 3 games in the launch of new console and your console would still be doing exceptionally.  They can literally release any quirky Mario, Kirby, Just Dance game and they sell like hotcakes. This does nothing to promote competition within the industry. Now companies like Microsoft and Sony know they slack off and still make profits. Sony has have began to do it - look at this E3 they went with the safe stuff. No shocking announcments because they know Microsoft and Nintendo are not in direct competitoin with them. 

1. Most game system launches generally suck. The Switch actually had one of the better launches. Also, the N64 had only two games and launch and still managed to sell well while providing decent competition for Sony and Sega.

2. It really isn't up to Nintendo to provide third party AAA games. That's up to the third parties.

3. It does promote competition because they're constantly fighting with Sony and Microsoft for shelf space.

4. You're implying that Sony has changed their entire business plan within with a short 3 month window because of Nintendo's successful Switch launch. This is probably the dumbest claim I have heard in a long time and tht's saying something.

5. Sony does not really consider Nintendo a direct competotor, nor have they considered them a direct competitor for sometime now. Microsoft however is and will continue to be.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

germibobi said:

Nintendo business model is bad for gamers

Because opinions.

germibobi said:

They have shown your console doesn't even have to have all the big AAA 3rd party stuff and you can still sell it like hotcakes. They have shown it's OK to have like 3 games in the launch of new console and your console would still be doing exceptionally.  They can literally release any quirky Mario, Kirby, Just Dance game and they sell like hotcakes. This does nothing to promote competition within the industry. Now companies like Microsoft and Sony know they slack off and still make profits. Sony has have began to do it - look at this E3 they went with the safe stuff. No shocking announcments because they know Microsoft and Nintendo are not in direct competitoin with them.

I think those who are generally buying Nintendo aren't exactly concerned with 3rd party AAA titles.

And yes. They are promoting competition within the industry.
The PSP and Vita came along to compete with Nintendo. Kinect and Playstation move happened because of the Wii.

germibobi said:

I am blaming Nintendo for playing it super safe and boring but people keep rewarding and praising.

Nintendo have done anything except "play it safe".

Sony and Microsoft played it safe with their "traditional" console platforms.

jason1637 said:

Quality > Quantity and the Switch had great quality games at launch.

I wouldn't go that far. But it did have Zelda which wen't gangbusters. That helped a ton.

germibobi said:

I'm sorry but I can't take this ARMS game seriously. It looks so chidlish. And while a new IP, it's not like they put as much effort to create this world/universe as Guerilla did with Horizon for example.

Nintendo games tend to be childish/immature. Nintendo has never pushed large amounts of hyper-realistic mature games full of blood and gore. And that's okay.
You should probably re-align your expectations about Nintendo's platforms if that doesn't appeal to you.

VAMatt said:
It is way too early to say that Switch is a success.

It's certainly not a colossal failure like the Wii U is that's for sure.

germibobi said:
Honesty I was not trolling. I was genuinely my opinion. I see most of disagree and that is quite alright. Seems like Nintendo has found it's "niche" but I just wished we had 3 major players competing with each directly on the console market. It's win-win for the consumer.

Whilst I concur 100% that competition is great and means great things for the consumer... Nintendo is appealing to demographics that are often neglected by Sony and Microsoft.

Once Nintendo starts raking in the Billions you can bet the other company's will take notice.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
germibobi said:

What are you basing your opinions on? The Switch launched with 10 games, one of which might be the greatest launch game of all time, and actually one of the best games of all time. Many of us would love to see more 3rd party AAA games on tthe Switch but why don´t you blame the 3rd parties for that aswell?

these "quirky" Mario and Kirby games are often exeptional games in their own rightand Nintendo is one of the most consistent high-quality developers of all time. Also, they have released or announced 245 games for the Swith already, of which you can find Fifa and Skyrim.

So Sony having alackluster presentation (in your opinion) is Nintendos fault? It was Sony that several years ago stated that there will be less AAA titles in the future, simply because the return on investment is very low. That is not the fault of Nintendo.

What Nintendo are doing is to shove som well needed variety into the industry.

Wat? Nintendo's strong point is their first-party lineup. Why shouldn't they be focusing on that? If the Switch can maintain momentum, then it can be a healthy enough platform to see more content from third parties as well. Nintendo can afford to "slack" at E3 a little less than the others. Not that it matters, since they can hold a direct anytime to show their products.

I agree with some of the things which nintendo doing. Look at the game costs and development efforts needed to most of their games does not seem like a $60 game, but they sell it like that. They should be accessible, but they put themselves as premium by demanding more money to their games by milking, not dropping prices at all for longer time, and pricing them high even for games which lacks content and scope of big budge game, taking less risk with big games (they take risks with iP''s but in a cheap way by making a Indie or AA like game with limited scope, unlike Sony and MS who dare to take big risks).

I prefer sony because they are accessible in every way even though they are stupid in some things , but mostly they are better than others overall in pushing technology, creating new experiences and being affordable to all the games around the world. Look at the things that Sony do to please gamers, fans even if it costs them, but nintendo alw.ys goes cheap in many things.

GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

Hahahahahaha, LOL at OP. Thank for good laugh

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)