By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo business model is bad for gamers

DonFerrari said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Nintendo is already stretched too thin. To do what you're asking of them, they have to get those third party companies on board. To get those, said companies need to stop trying to make games on the cutting edge graphically. They're too stupid to realize the money they're losing by doing that and the benefits of releasing on a console like Switch which is void of those types of games. 

It's a downward cycle.

They have released games on previous gen with lesser graphics and on HH so they know what is to release on less graphically demanding platforms. So you don't need to tell them what to do.

caffeinade said:

What other company has the courage to make a AAA platformer in 2017,  or a motion controlled fighter.

germibobi is defiantly a troll.

Sony, Ratchet and Clank is still alive and PSVR is even more risky than a motion controlled fighter, just go look at the ROI of both projects.

Ratchet and Clank are on life support, plus the reboot was a budget title, priced at $40.

Around the Network

If Nintendo didn't take risks then we would just have another me too system that has no unique features to separate it from Sony and Microsoft's mini computers. You are obviously butt hurt over something. Sure I don't like the direction Nintendo is going on some of their routes but you can't say they don't take risks.

AlfredoTurkey said:
DonFerrari said:

They have released games on previous gen with lesser graphics and on HH so they know what is to release on less graphically demanding platforms. So you don't need to tell them what to do.

I'm not talking about making two diffrent versions. That is ridiculous. They'd have to make ONE version and use the Switch as the lead platform. If they make two versions of the same game, no one is going to want what they feel is the "gimped" one. 

And why should they make Switch the lead version when PS4 is still good 55M ahead of it? And there are games that go the route of lower graphics requirement and they usually sell a lot less unless they are Nintendo own games. And what I was saying is that considering the evolution of consoles those devs had already developed games with lesser requirements in the past so they know how that is... but I would say they are the ones that also want to push the envelope.

caffeinade said:
DonFerrari said:

Sony, Ratchet and Clank is still alive and PSVR is even more risky than a motion controlled fighter, just go look at the ROI of both projects.

Ratchet and Clank are on life support, plus the reboot was a budget title, priced at $40.

You say that, there is no real evidence of it. And on 2013 Sony released Puppeteer, and this year The Last Guardian and Crash. So yes, sony isn't avoiding Platformers.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Switch is 9th gen baby

Hehe this is funny, considering the Switch launched alongside a brand new Zelda which was a radical departure from the franchise formula and Nintendo took a huge risk with the hybrid console / handheld hardware setup.  Nobody expected the Switch to sell this well this soon.

It's even funnier considering the fact that the PS4 launched with such a mediocre, "safe" lineup, and yet it still sold like gangbusters because of its post-E3 hype and being $100 cheaper than X1.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network

Because it's bad to have a choice XD

It may well be the most anti-consumer gaming business model in the industry (it's not), but that's pretty irrelevant given that the market has spoken and apparently finds great value in the Switch on the basis of the initial release catalog and the merits of the hardware itself.

By contrast, consumer interest in the Wii U was flat, so clearly there is something Nintendo has done right with the Switch, terrible anti-consumer, poor business model opinions aside.

greenmedic88 said:
It may well be the most anti-consumer gaming business model in the industry (it's not), but that's pretty irrelevant given that the market has spoken and apparently finds great value in the Switch on the basis of the initial release catalog and the merits of the hardware itself.

By contrast, consumer interest in the Wii U was flat, so clearly there is something Nintendo has done right with the Switch, terrible anti-consumer, poor business model opinions aside.

I've always found the term 'anti-consumer' annoying myself. It feels like one of this empty buzzwords, like Mary Sue and Social Justice Warrior. 

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

John19 said:
germibobi said:

I am blaming Nintendo for playing it super safe and boring but people keep rewarding and praising. Instead of doing new IPs there is this quirky Mario game Odysey or something

A new IP came out literally 3 days ago...

ARMS is not a new IP since Nintendo characters have had arms for years!

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
John19 said:

A new IP came out literally 3 days ago...

ARMS is not a new IP since Nintendo characters have had arms for years!

......Don't use troll logic, there are people who'll actually think that's a valid point

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?