By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - DF Justifying the X1X Price Point

Plerpy_ said:
I don't doubt it's worth it specs wise, but at $649 AUD it's just too expensive. And without a killer app I can't help but ask what the point of it is (so essentially what my questions about the Pro were).

At least with the Pro at the moment you can get the console, three games and remote control for $539.

$650 is alot however when you take into account the system is also a 4k Blu Ray player and just about everything on the X1X is superior to the S model even the load times. We paid $550 for a day one XB1 so for what your getting its sounds right. Plus its a 3 for 1 console that plays all Xbox games better than there originals. 

There are 6 Xbox Exclusives coming out in 2017, Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves, Cuphead, Ori 2, State of Decay 2 and Forza 7 all great looking games that will look amazing in true 4k.

Dont listen to those saying there arent any games coming out either. There is plenty. For me most of them will be played on my GTX 1080 however that was a $1000 GPU. For almost half the price plus all the features the X1X has, i wont be complaining.

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
Plerpy_ said:
I don't doubt it's worth it specs wise, but at $649 AUD it's just too expensive. And without a killer app I can't help but ask what the point of it is (so essentially what my questions about the Pro were).

At least with the Pro at the moment you can get the console, three games and remote control for $539.

$650 is alot however when you take into account the system is also a 4k Blu Ray player and just about everything on the X1X is superior to the S model even the load times. We paid $550 for a day one XB1 so for what your getting its sounds right. Plus its a 3 for 1 console that plays all Xbox games better than there originals. 

There are 6 Xbox Exclusives coming out in 2017, Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves, Cuphead, Ori 2, State of Decay 2 and Forza 7 all great looking games that will look amazing in true 4k.

Dont listen to those saying there arent any games coming out either. There is plenty. For me most of them will be played on my GTX 1080 however that was a $1000 GPU. For almost half the price plus all the features the X1X has, i wont be complaining.

Thouse 3 are for next year.

Edit: sorry, dint mean to bold cuphead, that one is for this year.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

DonFerrari said:
monocle_layton said:

$700 phones every two years is just flatout wasteful. I'm pretty sure the average consumer doesn't spend that much

Don't bother... it's obvious that the market for phones and consoles is about the same and the only reason phones sell more is because everyone is changing their phones every 6 months.

I agree with you that console market is diferent than the phone market. But man do I know idiots who buy the new iphone every year. Idiots who are broke as hell and still.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

I don't think anyone with an interest in the techhie side of things has any questions over whether the price stacks up to the hardware components. So to try to go out with PR to justify the price based on what's inside the box seems to miss the point.

With 4K not being the standard TV in most people's homes the greater grunt seems to be somewhat excess to the needs of the market. Arguably for this 2-3 year timeframe before the actual new gen starts, the tech in the PS4P is a better bridge since it delivers notably better performance than PS4 at a lower price than XOX.

There is no question that XOX has the stronger hardware, but if most people can't make substantial use of it then the extra oomph (and price) is possibly wasted.

But it does raise the question of what's the next leap forward for both XB and PS? Once 4K screens start to dominate in homes how much commitment will Sony and MS make to making 4K 60fps reasonably achievable for AAA titles without too much compromise in other aspects of visuals and performance? Developers always like making prettier pictures, and this makes achieving max possible res, and stable 60fps a challenge every generation.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Azzanation said:
Plerpy_ said:

True. The 4k blu ray I don't see as that big of a deal. Personally, I own 0 4k dvds and all my movie watching is done via streams or my old school dvds.

Those games tickle my fancy but again I'm wary of throwing $650 at a console that 1) isn't my preferred (I game on PS4), 2) will be outdated in 18 months when the next gen starts.

Around the Network
tripenfall said:

A lot of the people complaining about a 6 teraflop console for $499 are the same people who pay $700 for a new iPhone EVERY YEAR. 

Source?

iPhone sales are actually in decline. I don't even have a cell phone anymore, waste of money. I only had one when my work paid for it.

Azzanation said:

Here is a link below to why the X1X is priced at S499

Those saying its too expensive, well unfortunately you pay for quality and this machine is all about quality.

Those who pay for quality are generally in the minorrity.  Not bad, MS just needs the games to show off the power. No one should be able to do that better than first party if their competitors are an indication.

Plerpy_ said:
Azzanation said:

True. The 4k blu ray I don't see as that big of a deal. Personally, I own 0 4k dvds and all my movie watching is done via streams or my old school dvds.

Those games tickle my fancy but again I'm wary of throwing $650 at a console that 1) isn't my preferred (I game on PS4), 2) will be outdated in 18 months when the next gen starts.

Thats understandable. This console clearly isnt sold to win you over especially if its not your prefered choice. Again it falls under premium and hardcore gamers.

eva01beserk said:
DonFerrari said:

Don't bother... it's obvious that the market for phones and consoles is about the same and the only reason phones sell more is because everyone is changing their phones every 6 months.

I agree with you that console market is diferent than the phone market. But man do I know idiots who buy the new iphone every year. Idiots who are broke as hell and still.

Yep, sure there are idiots... and it's strange to base the merit of X1X releasing for 500USD without anything unique to it on the existance of these idiots, because I don't think the ones defending X1X is saying the customers are idiots to buy it. And neither do I think MS and Sony made their decision based on it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

X1X is high priced, but so what? Its a PREMIUM console pushing power.

The X1S is cheaper and plays the same games. There are options. You can even find OG models on eBay for under $200.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)