By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Atari is coming back with a new console! Would you buy?

They need a good marketing campaign that's going to target younger buyers for this because most kids nowadays are too young to remember the Atari name. I know the original Atari died in the early 90s when I was only three.

Around the Network

im going to laugh if they unveil an amazing new console thats both powerful and affordable, and somehow manages to put both Sony and Microsoft in their place.

If they can offer a console that's both powerful and affordable, along with some great first party games then I think they'll have a hit on their hands. It will put them back on the map and starting pulling in PS4 and Xbox gamers. Nintendo is basically on its last legs with the Switch, so they are no longer the big threat that they used to be.

Yerm said:
im going to laugh if they unveil an amazing new console thats both powerful and affordable, and somehow manages to put both Sony and Microsoft in their place.

Wake up, wake up... your dreaming :D

Atari have no money, they've nearly been bankrupt quite a few times, they have only old games/ip to shift. You think they have hundreds of millions to invest in a console to compete with Sony and MS.... not going to happen.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

WolfpackN64 said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

This. Game support is a lot smaller, but user-friendly Linux distros have long become more hassle-free than Windows.

And it's not really that difficult to use. The GNOME Shell GUI is just vastly surperior compared to Windows Explorer. My girlfriend only used Windows all her life and it took her just an hour or two to get acquainted with the UI and to get VLC and other programs up and running.

I agree its a better OS however the fact it lacks games/contents is the biggest problem because Steam Machines is all about games. Thats the beauty part about Windows and why we pay for it, because the support is there. Also Windows 10 is a great OS for gaming, we arent talking about Vista here. Windows 7, 8 and 10 are amazing OS's for gaming which doesnt warrent a change of OS. Why would you want to sacifice your games line up for an OS you wont notice a difference in performance? 

Win10/Steam is the best combo for PC gaming right now, Linux lacks the game library, Mac also lacks the game lineup and DX12 a feature exclusive to Win10 and wont be available for Mac or Linux anytime soon (From what i know). Your biting the bullet more leaving Windows gaming for a little gain in an OS. If Win10 sucked at games i would have gone Linux long time ago, however it doesnt. Valve is one of my favourite gaming companies in the world and yet they stuffed up with Steam Machines and this Linux crap.

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
WolfpackN64 said:

And it's not really that difficult to use. The GNOME Shell GUI is just vastly surperior compared to Windows Explorer. My girlfriend only used Windows all her life and it took her just an hour or two to get acquainted with the UI and to get VLC and other programs up and running.

I agree its a better OS however the fact it lacks games/contents is the biggest problem because Steam Machines is all about games. Thats the beauty part about Windows and why we pay for it, because the support is there. Also Windows 10 is a great OS for gaming, we arent talking about Vista here. Windows 7, 8 and 10 are amazing OS's for gaming which doesnt warrent a change of OS. Why would you want to sacifice your games line up for an OS you wont notice a difference in performance? 

Win10/Steam is the best combo for PC gaming right now, Linux lacks the game library, Mac also lacks the game lineup and DX12 a feature exclusive to Win10 and wont be available for Mac or Linux anytime soon (From what i know). Your biting the bullet more leaving Windows gaming for a little gain in an OS. If Win10 sucked at games i would have gone Linux long time ago, however it doesnt. Valve is one of my favourite gaming companies in the world and yet they stuffed up with Steam Machines and this Linux crap.

I made a Windows 10 gaming PC for the purpose of gaming. I'm not going to build one again. The OS is unstable on my machine, while tests with Linux ran just fine. The settings are a nightmare and need to be babysat (one update turned on all telemetry features while I had turned them all off before). Linux's gaming performance and game selection is getting better and it benifits from Vulkan. Apple's API support is getting better with Metal and external GPU support baked in the OS.

Windows 10 has proven too frustrating for me to accept it's dominance through games. I'm going back to Mac fulltime. If your game isn't on Mac or usable through Wine (all games will one day run through it just fine as Wine is also in progress of implementing DX11 and the older DX versions over Vulkan) I'm just not getting it. The biggest problem with my problems on Windows 10 is that their very inconsistent. My machine has random problems, after an update, they'll be gone, but I'll have new ones. I know several people who's PC's run Windows 10 just fine and others have inexplicable problems. I service multiple PC's in my family and troubleshooting crashes in Windows 10 is a nightmare since they're nearly never hardware related.

Valve had their valid reasons. They didn't want to support the Windows status quo and they partially succeeded in getting more game support for Linux. I think that is VERY commendable.

This is not gonna work out. If Atari was coming back and re-releasing all their past home consoles and handheld. Including all the games digitally and physically. Fixing the 5200 controllers being shit. That would be an interesting idea. But not to compete with 3 other platforms. Just no.

archer9234 said:
This is not gonna work out. If Atari was coming back and re-releasing all their past home consoles and handheld. Including all the games digitally and physically. Fixing the 5200 controllers being shit. That would be an interesting idea. But not to compete with 3 other platforms. Just no.

Who knows it might even bring down the PS4 in sales.

This almost certainly won't be anything special. Atari these days is barely even a game company. Back in 2014 it was basically ten people, and all their games in the last few years have been mobile games and crap PC games licensed out to third parties. They almost certainly cannot produce an actual console, and if they do it'll be dead in months.

This is almost certainly some kind of Steambox, MAYBE a PC-based microconsole of sorts, or something in between.

I personally think Linux would be the good basis for a games console which ran steam and gave people access to their steam library in a stylish compact box with mid performance level at a reasonable price. However the issue is of course the hardware manufacturer has to make money so the console price couldn't be subsidised except for streaming/remote processing revenue when playing more power hungry games.

However android is still an option. No one yet as far as I know has produced a super powerful android box that could run all android games at 4k 60fps with maximum graphic detail. Such a console would have access to incredibly cheap games and a performance level perhaps higher than the standard ps4 and xbox one. It could also again stream impressive games that are remotely processed which is a source of revenue.

I must admit if someone came up with a powerful games console that integrated both my steam and android libraries with a proper game controller I'd be interested.

At the end of the day I don't know what the Atari box is but if its something that runs a wide range of games and is good value I'm going to consider it. I don't do brand loyalty personally. I always look at the product and see if its works for me.