By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Atari is coming back with a new console! Would you buy?

JRPGfan said:
Azzanation said:

What if... the Atari Box uses Steam?

Then it will flop unless they are willing to sell them at a loss / less than a normal person can put together a pc from parts equal to it.

Steambox failed because it was bad value (performance/price), and have no exclusives.

Same would happend if Atari made a box centered around steam.

Steam went with Linex, that was there problem.

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
JRPGfan said:

Then it will flop unless they are willing to sell them at a loss / less than a normal person can put together a pc from parts equal to it.

Steambox failed because it was bad value (performance/price), and have no exclusives.

Same would happend if Atari made a box centered around steam.

*Linux. And btw, the performance of the open-source graphic drivers have made leaps and bounds. In a release or two, there will be performance parity between SteamOS and Windows.

WolfpackN64 said:
Azzanation said:

*Linux. And btw, the performance of the open-source graphic drivers have made leaps and bounds. In a release or two, there will be performance parity between SteamOS and Windows.

It limited the system. It would have been cool to have a console PC in the living room however Linux just runied the appeal to me. Valve stuffed up.

Azzanation said:
WolfpackN64 said:

It limited the system. It would have been cool to have a console PC in the living room however Linux just runied the appeal to me. Valve stuffed up.

Why does it limit the system? Linux is a very powerful OS in it's own right. Valve couldn't put Windows on their boxes, that would defeat their purpose. Also, Valve is a big contributer to open source GPU drivers for AMD GPU's.

Hell no, I wouldn't trust Atari as far as I could throw them to produce something worthwhile.

Have you seen the games they've put out recently?

RCT World - 43 meta
Alone in the Dark: Illumination - 19 Meta

In December they sold the Test Drive Franchise.

Atari are a shell that only just left bankruptcy, and soon will return to it, considering RCT and Alone in the Dark was part of their "turn around strategy" and both bombed horrifically.

Around the Network
WolfpackN64 said:
Azzanation said:

Why does it limit the system? Linux is a very powerful OS in it's own right. Valve couldn't put Windows on their boxes, that would defeat their purpose. Also, Valve is a big contributer to open source GPU drivers for AMD GPU's.

Because Steam Box acted more of a downgrade. Why would anyone buy one when there not running Steam off an OS which adds so many more features. I was going to be a day one owner until i heard its running off Linux. I am better off just plugging in my Laptop in my TV and using that as my Steam Box because it uses Windows which allowed me alot more features to use my system for. Just a box for Steam? Its not convincing. And i understand the story behind it and why they couldnt use Win10 etc. Its fair on Valve however Steam should never had existed. They should have paired up with Mac if that was the case.

Azzanation said:
WolfpackN64 said:

Because Steam Box acted more of a downgrade. Why would anyone buy one when there not running Steam off an OS which adds so many more features. I was going to be a day one owner until i heard its running off Linux. I am better off just plugging in my Laptop in my TV and using that as my Steam Box because it uses Windows which allowed me alot more features to use my system for. Just a box for Steam? Its not convincing. And i understand the story behind it and why they couldnt use Win10 etc. Its fair on Valve however Steam should never had existed. They should have paired up with Mac if that was the case.

You keep saying Linux lacks certain features but you don't specify what. Linux is a very featured OS and it's much more open and extandable then Windows will ever be.

I can't see how they will break into tddays console market. Microsoft was able to do it because they have a ton of cash, Atari meanwhile was bankrupt just a few years ago and is basically a shell of the company it once was.

WolfpackN64 said:
Azzanation said:

You keep saying Linux lacks certain features but you don't specify what. Linux is a very featured OS and it's much more open and extandable then Windows will ever be.

Tell that to the millions of customers there trying to sell it to. Thats the problem. Having a more recognized OS would have helped heaps.

Azzanation said:
WolfpackN64 said:

Tell that to the millions of customers there trying to sell it to. Thats the problem. Having a more recognized OS would have helped heaps.

No it wouldn't. The point of SteamOS is to get developers to not rely on Windows alone, and they succeeded half and half. The amount of game support for macOS and Linux has skyrocketed. It's not fully there yet, but now one can actually just dump Windows and use Linux full time, even for gaming when making a few compromises.

The problem of the Steam Machines is that living room PC's aren't a popular product category at all. They tried that before in the 80's. It didn't work then and it doesn't work now, except for a niche audience.