By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Atari is coming back with a new console! Would you buy?

"Atari is coming back with a new console! Would you buy?"
Honestly no.

Around the Network
WolfpackN64 said:
Azzanation said:

Tell that to the millions of customers there trying to sell it to. Thats the problem. Having a more recognized OS would have helped heaps.

No it wouldn't. The point of SteamOS is to get developers to not rely on Windows alone, and they succeeded half and half. The amount of game support for macOS and Linux has skyrocketed. It's not fully there yet, but now one can actually just dump Windows and use Linux full time, even for gaming when making a few compromises.

The problem of the Steam Machines is that living room PC's aren't a popular product category at all. They tried that before in the 80's. It didn't work then and it doesn't work now, except for a niche audience.

Why would you want to dump Windows? OS works great for gaming plus DX12 is exclusive to it. With Windows you get all Drivers and APIs while Linux you miss out on DX12. And considering DX is the most popular API for Devs like Blizzard, why would you settle for less? Linux is a backward step. Its good for what it does however you end up with alot less options.

Is it you, Ouya?

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Azzanation said:
WolfpackN64 said:

No it wouldn't. The point of SteamOS is to get developers to not rely on Windows alone, and they succeeded half and half. The amount of game support for macOS and Linux has skyrocketed. It's not fully there yet, but now one can actually just dump Windows and use Linux full time, even for gaming when making a few compromises.

The problem of the Steam Machines is that living room PC's aren't a popular product category at all. They tried that before in the 80's. It didn't work then and it doesn't work now, except for a niche audience.

Why would you want to dump Windows? OS works great for gaming plus DX12 is exclusive to it. With Windows you get all Drivers and APIs while Linux you miss out on DX12. And considering DX is the most popular API for Devs like Blizzard, why would you settle for less? Linux is a backward step. Its good for what it does however you end up with alot less options.

It's supported by Vulkan and driver support is starting to overshoot Windows. Linux is in most cases built better and you don't need to babysit your OS settings to make the damn thing run properly. Linux is in many cases a surperior OS, it just has (as of now) less game support.

WolfpackN64 said:
Azzanation said:

It's supported by Vulkan and driver support is starting to overshoot Windows. Linux is in most cases built better and you don't need to babysit your OS settings to make the damn thing run properly. Linux is in many cases a surperior OS, it just has (as of now) less game support.

This. Game support is a lot smaller, but user-friendly Linux distros have long become more hassle-free than Windows.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
Alby_da_Wolf said:
WolfpackN64 said:

This. Game support is a lot smaller, but user-friendly Linux distros have long become more hassle-free than Windows.

And it's not really that difficult to use. The GNOME Shell GUI is just vastly surperior compared to Windows Explorer. My girlfriend only used Windows all her life and it took her just an hour or two to get acquainted with the UI and to get VLC and other programs up and running.

WolfpackN64 said:
Azzanation said:

Because Steam Box acted more of a downgrade. Why would anyone buy one when there not running Steam off an OS which adds so many more features. I was going to be a day one owner until i heard its running off Linux. I am better off just plugging in my Laptop in my TV and using that as my Steam Box because it uses Windows which allowed me alot more features to use my system for. Just a box for Steam? Its not convincing. And i understand the story behind it and why they couldnt use Win10 etc. Its fair on Valve however Steam should never had existed. They should have paired up with Mac if that was the case.

You keep saying Linux lacks certain features but you don't specify what. Linux is a very featured OS and it's much more open and extandable then Windows will ever be.

Linux lacks the damn games...  Only 20% Of my Steam library is available on SteamOS.  Why would I use an OS which only plays 20% of my library?  They are taking forever on converting games to Linux to be available on SteamOS.    I dislike Microsoft a lot and would have switched to a Linux OS but the games simply aren't there.  It would be like trying to play computer games on Apple computer using their OS.  You are pretty much forced to Windows if you play on a PC because the support for other OS are shit.

sethnintendo said:
WolfpackN64 said:

You keep saying Linux lacks certain features but you don't specify what. Linux is a very featured OS and it's much more open and extandable then Windows will ever be.

Linux lacks the damn games...  Only 20% Of my Steam library is available on SteamOS.  Why would I use an OS which only plays 20% of my library?  They are taking forever on converting games to Linux to be available on SteamOS.    I dislike Microsoft a lot and would have switched to a Linux OS but the games simply aren't there.  It would be like trying to play computer games on Apple computer.  

*cough* 2/3th of my library is available on my Mac's, and I can up that to 3/4th with Wine, which has increased in development speed recently.

WolfpackN64 said:
sethnintendo said:

Linux lacks the damn games...  Only 20% Of my Steam library is available on SteamOS.  Why would I use an OS which only plays 20% of my library?  They are taking forever on converting games to Linux to be available on SteamOS.    I dislike Microsoft a lot and would have switched to a Linux OS but the games simply aren't there.  It would be like trying to play computer games on Apple computer.  

*cough* 2/3th of my library is available on my Mac's, and I can up that to 3/4th with Wine, which has increased in development speed recently.

You mainly have new games in your library? Support for Apple has been a joke for decades. You'd be an idiot if you were gaming with Apple in the 90s. Sorry but I hate Apple more than Microsoft.

sethnintendo said:
WolfpackN64 said:

You mainly have new games in your library? Support for Apple has been a joke for decades. You'd be an idiot if you were gaming with Apple in the 90s. Sorry but I hate Apple more than Microsoft.

Mainly, but some older as well. Some older games I had got backported by Feral so suddenly all my Total War games worked. Apple in the early 2000's till now were a joke. Apple in the PowerPC era always included decent GPU's with their computers and MacOS 9 has a surprisingly large game collection. Apple relying on Intel integrated graphics was a joke which they started to somewhat fix now.