By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Atari is coming back with a new console! Would you buy?

What if... the Atari Box uses Steam?

Around the Network

Some sort of linux/steam box using a dedicated controller and its own front end. Quick conversions of many top pc titles, low game pricing. Huge library of games. It would need lowish funds to bring to market and actually be a reasonable gaming platform. An ouya type concept using pc type hardware instead of android.

All I know though is I haven't heard of any major developers developing for an unknown console and any new console needs games for success so I think it's going to utilise an existing game library and really that is either android or pc or both. I can't imagine it would be windows based so it has to be something like linux. Perhaps Valve has some connection to it.

It Depends on games and price.

Would be awesome if it is a proper steambox. It would have the best console line-up since the dawn of time.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Azzanation said:

What if... the Atari Box uses Steam?

Then it will flop unless they are willing to sell them at a loss / less than a normal person can put together a pc from parts equal to it.

Steambox failed because it was bad value (performance/price), and have no exclusives.

Same would happend if Atari made a box centered around steam.

Around the Network
Qwark said:
Would be awesome if it is a proper steambox. It would have the best console line-up since the dawn of time.

It would make it just another pc then.

Steambox ended up a huge failour.

VGPolyglot said:
The OP looks blank to me. In any case, I know that ljink96 already made a thread on this.

This is the third thread on this now. Vasto made one too, remember?

I also have to add, again, that Atari Box is a terrible name. "I feel as if, to puke." - Manny Coon

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Wait and see, I can say I'm intrigued, but we'll have to wait.

depends on the specs and the first party exclusive strategy. if we don't need one thing then it's another platform trying to sell multiplats without actually investing into game development. 

Sure. Day-1 for me