By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Site suggestions that I think we would all like!

Are these good suggestions?

Yes. 7 38.89%

No. 4 22.22%

Some. 5 27.78%

See results. 2 11.11%

Total:18
niceguygameplayer said:
Zkuq said:

Suggestion 1 is good, and it's often requested. Suggestion 2 is good in theory, but I don't think pulling it off is necessarily viable. I also don't think it would achieve much. Suggestion 3 isn't has two sides. More other types of staff-life people is a great suggestion (although I don't know if it's very realistic), less moderation sounds awful. Excellent moderation is one of the site's strongest points right now. The reviews (point 4) are fine as they are. In fact, there used to be scores, but I think it was decided that reviews would be more meaningful if they didn't assign a score.

My top suggestion to improve the site is to make sure it's not down so often. My second suggestion is to allow us to change the email address we're registered here with. It's a security issue even normally, and I think it blew up really badly last time there were password problems on the site.

Well, you are certainly entitled to your opinions. If moderation is this sites greatest strength, then they are failing IMO. Sales should be #1. The moderation feels oppressive and catering to those that complain over very minor things. It's like police everywhere that arrest ppl for looking at someone too long. 

I just learned that the site cannot afford to do many of my suggestions. Scores are good. Metacritic helps ppl to decide not to buy crap games for example. Lastly, I do notice the site freezing and slowing down sometimes. Good suggestion. 

I agree that sales should be better.

I think moderation has helped keep a civil tone to discussions here. It's a bit strict at times, but I'd much rather have that than more aggressive discussions. I've seen enough aggressive/less civil forums to appreciate the moderation here. Personally, I haven't had any trouble with moderators here, and every time I've seen someone complain about moderation, it's been for a reason. Perhaps it's been a small reason, but an understandable one nonetheless. I'm sure mistakes happen occassionally, but generally, if you keep discussions civil, you'll have no trouble with moderators.

The value of Metacritic is debatable. It's not entirely useless, but it can also be quite misleading. The same goes for scores, especially considering that reviews are always subjective and reflect the reviewers personal experience with a game. For scores to be useful, you must be familiar with the reviewer. If people didn't look at scores so blindly, they'd be more useful, but considering how people often judge a game by its score alone, I'd say scores do more harm than good. I mean, I do enjoy scores, but you really can't take them too seriously or they lose some of their value.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
niceguygameplayer said:

Actually, I did not mean to put this under gaming discussion. I meant to put it under site issues or general discussion. My mistake. I just learned about budget constraints after writing this. A member told me. I don't think you are moderator material because you get moderated too. Lol

Website Feedback is the correct section.

Many moderators got moderated before they became moderators. It's actually so common that my rare moderations over the years constitute a plus point.

You're right. I forgot about website feedback. 

Zkuq said:
niceguygameplayer said:

Well, you are certainly entitled to your opinions. If moderation is this sites greatest strength, then they are failing IMO. Sales should be #1. The moderation feels oppressive and catering to those that complain over very minor things. It's like police everywhere that arrest ppl for looking at someone too long. 

I just learned that the site cannot afford to do many of my suggestions. Scores are good. Metacritic helps ppl to decide not to buy crap games for example. Lastly, I do notice the site freezing and slowing down sometimes. Good suggestion. 

I think moderation has helped keep a civil tone to discussions here. It's a bit strict at times, but I'd much rather have that than more aggressive discussions. I've seen enough aggressive/less civil forums to appreciate the moderation here. Personally, I haven't had any trouble with moderators here, and every time I've seen someone complain about moderation, it's been for a reason. Perhaps it's been a small reason, but an understandable one nonetheless. I'm sure mistakes happen occassionally, but generally, if you keep discussions civil, you'll have no trouble with moderators.

The value of Metacritic is debatable. It's not entirely useless, but it can also be quite misleading. The same goes for scores, especially considering that reviews are always subjective and reflect the reviewers personal experience with a game. For scores to be useful, you must be familiar with the reviewer. If people didn't look at scores so blindly, they'd be more useful, but considering how people often judge a game by its score alone, I'd say scores do more harm than good. I mean, I do enjoy scores, but you really can't take them too seriously or they lose some of their value.

Like I said, I do realize moderators are needed. I think some may get on a power trip though! The good thing about Metacritic is that it is the combination of many opinions, not just one or a few. There's likely to be truth there. 

I just want to be able to pin threads to my buddy list.

We do need something to spruce things up and to build tighter bonds between members of the community....this is one thread of yours I can get behind

Around the Network

A real mobile site.

IamAwsome said:
A real mobile site.

Agreed.  I'll donate $100 to this effort, if there is reasonably-achievable monetary goal that will get it done. 

niceguygameplayer said:
Zkuq said:

Like I said, I do realize moderators are needed. I think some may get on a power trip though! The good thing about Metacritic is that it is the combination of many opinions, not just one or a few. There's likely to be truth there. 

I see we have some disagreement about moderation here, but hey, that's life, I suppose! About Metacritic too. It sure is useful for the reason you mentioned, but it would be useful for that reason even without scores.

We're not going to get a game giveaway, as the mods aren't getting paid a dime for this themselves. We had the ambassador program to encourage positive discussion and participation in the past, but the problem is that a lot of the people who were a part of that are now inactive. Also, this site isn't prestigious enough to get interviews with industry leaders. We also had a scoring system for reviews in the past, but it was eventually decided to eliminate them. But anyways, we can try to encourage more participation and activity. I am pretty active myself, and try to be positive most of the time, but I admit that the quality of my posts can be shitty at times.

Does anybody find it strange that Mario Kart, Tekken7, released and there is no thread dedicated to them? This sites needs a section purely for games.