By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii Fit + Rock Band Wii = Death of "revenue" argument for 360 apologists

Totally agree with the original post and scaringly I agree with KOW - I know 4 people thats buying WiiFit, my wife, my work mates wife, female work colleague who go's to the grmm around the back every night and my next door neighbours wife.

None of these are gamers and only 2 currently own a Wii, only one of them is also purchasing Mario Kart Wii and she's only buying that game as she's picking up a Wii for Wii Fit.

the way I see Mario Kart Wii will have a good attach rate but Wii Fit wont have such a good attach rate but it will be a bigger system seller.

Around the Network
Erik Aston said:
mrstickball said:
May I ask why the Wii version of Rock Band is going to do gangbusters, when the PS2 version, from any standards, was DOA?

I don't know why Rock Band PS2 did poorly. I don't think it was DLC, if that's what you're suggesting. 6 million songs downloaded is impressive, but still small compared to the amount of music on the game disc. I suspect more new songs will be sold via the inevitable disc-based expansions to Rock Band than by DLC, so there should still be a market for a "gimped" version.

More likely, people want to buy those disc-based expansions, and know PS2 is on the way out. Who wants to buy a nearly $200 game a second time after PS2 keels over and doesn't get a future Rock Band sequel/expansion?

The PS2 version did poorly because it was released way after the PS3 and 360 versions. It has nothing to do with downloadable content, in fact, this game is casually aimed, and a casual doesnt' even know what downloadable content is.

If Rock Band for the PS2 was released along side the "next gen" versions, it would have outsold them. 

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:

Revenue means nothing.

Profit means everything.

Here is the profit of the gaming industry:

==> wow, wow, wow, where did u get this ZenfoldorVGI ?

and do you think we can have the number before 1998

whatever, THX a lot.

Time to Work !

ClaudeLv250 said:
"Hardcore revenue"? Oh my, the irony BURNS!

I imagine hardcore revenue might look a little something like this:

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Erik Aston said:
mrstickball said:
May I ask why the Wii version of Rock Band is going to do gangbusters, when the PS2 version, from any standards, was DOA?

I suspect more new songs will be sold via the inevitable disc-based expansions to Rock Band than by DLC, so there should still be a market for a "gimped" version.

So the choices are:

1) Buy Rock Band for PS3/360 and play songs whenever you want, in any order you want. Buy up to 3 new songs a week, and buy only the songs you like.

2) Buy Rock Band Wii and insert Disk 1 to play songs A, B, and C; insert Disk 2 expansion to play songs D, E, F; insert Disk 3 expansion... Wait X months for the next disc-based expansion to be released (certainly not weekly), and pay for every song on the disk whether you like a song or not.

So when you say more new songs will be sold via disc-based expansions than via DLC, basically you're saying most consumers look at the options and make economically irrational decisions?

[And this is ignoring for a minute the ten other ways Rock Band Wii is gimped compared to the 360 and PS3 versions]

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:

The PS2 version did poorly because it was released way after the PS3 and 360 versions. It has nothing to do with downloadable content, in fact, this game is casually aimed, and a casual doesnt' even know what downloadable content is.

If Rock Band for the PS2 was released along side the "next gen" versions, it would have outsold them.

So the reason the PS2 version did poorly is because it was released "way after" (ONE month) the PS3 and 360 versions....

....But isn't the Wii version being released "WAY after" (6 months) the PS2 version, and "way WAY WAY after" (7 months) the PS3 and 360 versions??

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Im not shure how well Rock Band on the Wii will do ... the hype shure died out a bit since launch ... still it could have some awesome legs :)

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

I agree on WiiFit, it will be huge. I don't like anecdotal evidence, but all I know is even my mom wants the damn thing, and so do some of her colleagues.

But anyone who buys Rock Band for Wii is essentially a hardcore Nintendo fanboy and/or a moron:
There are zero (currently known) ways in which the Wii version will be better than the 360/PS3 versions that will have already been out for SEVEN months. The 360/PS3 versions have a long list of features the Wii version will not have. Yet the MSRP for Rock Band Wii is still $169.99! That is just lunacy.

New definition of "fanboy": someone who pays full price for a severely gimped version of a seven month old game.

ZenfoldorVGI said:

Revenue means nothing.

Profit means everything.

Here is the profit of the gaming industry:

"More money was spent on Microsoft products than any other company," could also mean they lost a billion dollars, so instead of telling you that, we'll tell you how much money was actually spent on our stuff, not how much we made off of it.

That's about as simple as I can let it be known.
thanks for the graph. Makes it really clear who is "winning"

hunter_alien said:
Im not shure how well Rock Band on the Wii will do ... the hype shure died out a bit since launch ... still it could have some awesome legs :)

Rock Band hype died down since launch??

I think Rock Band hype is steadily increasing.

Under 200k in week 1, yet after 20 weeks it's still closing in on 1.2 million. 

And has it ever dropped out of the top 20 in weekly sales?