By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii Fit + Rock Band Wii = Death of "revenue" argument for 360 apologists

akuma587 said:
I still don't understand the point of this thread. Rock Band is probably a bad example, Wii Fit is a better one, but the public can be fickle and might not embrace the title as much as people are estimating. Wii Fit probably will do well though, breaking 5 million easy, maybe 10 million if Nintendo gets lucky.
You're underestimating the Oprah factor. Wii Fit is going to be hard to get for a long time. The only way I see it doing that poorly, is if they release a sequel that stops sales of the first one.

Around the Network

Wii Fit will sell consoles ... people will pick up the Wii just for the Fit.

If you don't believe this ... check this out from Atlantic Monthly (via MTV's blog) http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/04/07/nintendo-crossover-watch-magazine-ponders-end-of-israel-beginning-of-wii-fit/

Rock Band Wii will sell, but not that well. The GH3 sales have probably gotten many of the people who want music games on the Wii.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Aj_habfan said:
The real money comes in from the download sales. The 360 owns that and I don't believe the Wii has it...

And there it is, the next X360 benchmark! X360 #1 in downloaded games!

I actually don't agree with the OP, I am not sure even WiiFit and RB Wii will allow Wii to catch X360 in total revenue. It certinaly won't catch PS360 (ie the HD consoles).

Trying to convince me the Wii is a real adult game machine 'if you play it right' is like trying to convince me Tofu tastes great 'if you just cook it right'

bdbdbd said:

Great response. Better than i expected to get.

1&7. PS2, a dying console, the one that gets bought because it's cheap and it's got cheap games. There's actually two reasons why i see PS2 Rockband fail; the people who are going to invest a lot of money for games, are saving to upgrade their console and competing with another expensive game in the same category, which is established franchise, GH3, RB had too close launch.

Then why aren't the same sales trends there for Guitar Hero 3 for PS2? Guitar Hero 3, for PS2 (a still-gimped version compared to the 360/PS3) is the top-selling version of Guitar Hero 3 for any platform, despite this being the first time Guitar Hero has been on 3 other platforms (X360/Wii/PS3). It's not like Rock Band on 360 hampered GH3 sales on the 360 - as the 360 has the 2nd best selling version of GH3, and the same goes for Playstation 3's version. Why is the PS2 version of Rock Band so different?

And you give me  options:

1. Dying console (yet GH2 and 3, which are $100 games still sell better than any other system)

2. Competing against Guitar Hero 1/2/3 (yet the X360 has Rock Band, Guitar Hero 2, and Guitar Hero 3, yet leads sales for Rock Band, #2 for GH3, and 2m+ for GH2).

So your arugments are totally invalid. The PS2 version didn't die because the system is in the sunset of it's life. It died because many knew the X360/PS3 versions were better, and would rather get the not-so-gimped GH3 for the PS2.

2. Yes, i'm downloading audio, but as far as i know, i'm downloading stereophonic audio for Wii and multichannel audio for PS360.

Mind telling me how much lower the bitrate is for Guitar Hero 3's audio recordings vs. the X360s or PS3s? That'd be the only way to get a good idea on how much smaller a Rock Band track on Wii would be.

4. You may be right, but not everyones neighbour or friend have 360 or PS3 and Rockband.

And no one had friends with Rock Band for the PS3/X360 when it came out. By the time the Wii version launches, there will be over 3m units of Rockband in the US/CA alone....Tell me, how many of those Wii owners are going to NOT of played RB on X360/PS3 and know what they're not getting?

RRoD, 360 losing it's momentum and therefore quite a few games. Future lineup is going less diverse. Of course, if you like the type of games that 360 lineup mostly consists of, then there's no reason, gameswise, for an "educated gamer" not to get 360 (educated as informed).

The Xbox 360 has sold 40% MORE SYSTEMS THIS YEAR THAN LAST YEAR, Year over Year!!!!!!!!! You might not care, but it's a 500,000 unit margin in 3 months. I'd tend to think such an increase is "not losing it's momentum". We can sit here, and type out speculations about lineups and such, but the cold hard numbers prove that the 360 is doing better, this year, than ANY year Microsoft has had a video game system. Ever.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:

bdbdbd said:

Great response. Better than i expected to get.

1&7. PS2, a dying console, the one that gets bought because it's cheap and it's got cheap games. There's actually two reasons why i see PS2 Rockband fail; the people who are going to invest a lot of money for games, are saving to upgrade their console and competing with another expensive game in the same category, which is established franchise, GH3, RB had too close launch.

Then why aren't the same sales trends there for Guitar Hero 3 for PS2? Guitar Hero 3, for PS2 (a still-gimped version compared to the 360/PS3) is the top-selling version of Guitar Hero 3 for any platform, despite this being the first time Guitar Hero has been on 3 other platforms (X360/Wii/PS3). It's not like Rock Band on 360 hampered GH3 sales on the 360 - as the 360 has the 2nd best selling version of GH3, and the same goes for Playstation 3's version. Why is the PS2 version of Rock Band so different?

And you give me  options:

1. Dying console (yet GH2 and 3, which are $100 games still sell better than any other system)

2. Competing against Guitar Hero 1/2/3 (yet the X360 has Rock Band, Guitar Hero 2, and Guitar Hero 3, yet leads sales for Rock Band, #2 for GH3, and 2m+ for GH2).

So your arugments are totally invalid. The PS2 version didn't die because the system is in the sunset of it's life. It died because many knew the X360/PS3 versions were better, and would rather get the not-so-gimped GH3 for the PS2.

2. Yes, i'm downloading audio, but as far as i know, i'm downloading stereophonic audio for Wii and multichannel audio for PS360.

Mind telling me how much lower the bitrate is for Guitar Hero 3's audio recordings vs. the X360s or PS3s? That'd be the only way to get a good idea on how much smaller a Rock Band track on Wii would be.

4. You may be right, but not everyones neighbour or friend have 360 or PS3 and Rockband.

And no one had friends with Rock Band for the PS3/X360 when it came out. By the time the Wii version launches, there will be over 3m units of Rockband in the US/CA alone....Tell me, how many of those Wii owners are going to NOT of played RB on X360/PS3 and know what they're not getting?

5. RRoD, 360 losing it's momentum and therefore quite a few games. Future lineup is going less diverse. Of course, if you like the type of games that 360 lineup mostly consists of, then there's no reason, gameswise, for an "educated gamer" not to get 360 (educated as informed).

The Xbox 360 has sold 40% MORE SYSTEMS THIS YEAR THAN LAST YEAR, Year over Year!!!!!!!!! You might not care, but it's a 500,000 unit margin in 3 months. I'd tend to think such an increase is "not losing it's momentum". We can sit here, and type out speculations about lineups and such, but the cold hard numbers prove that the 360 is doing better, this year, than ANY year Microsoft has had a video game system. Ever.

1. One thing i didn't think of is, that since GH and RB compete with each other, most are going to get a game to play with the guitar they already own, instead of buying an expensive set of new controllers. Besides, sales indicate that PS2 locates in the kids rooms, where there are room for a guitar, but not for a bigger set, while 360 may be located more in the livingrooms. And as i said about dying console, while Erik did put it in a better way, there's no reason for PS2 owners to buy RB, since their set will be left unused after the first game.

2. Well, if the audio quality is the same, 5.1 audio file on PS360 would be 2,5 times the size of 2.0 on Wii, and 7.1 file 3,5 times the size. And going to lower quality would decrease the size even more.

4. That's hard to say, but if we assume that Rockband sells atleast 500k, that's 75M in revenue, or 50M additional revenue. If it sells 250k first month, it's 37,5/25.

5. You're right about that. But what i was thinking about, is that it's losing its momentum compared to competition and quite a few potential exclusives. But, it's still getting games in the genres that has proved to sell on 360.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network

Here's an interesting note: In October, while the w/ guitar version of GHIII for PS2 outsold the standalone game, 271K to 232K, the w/ guitar versions of GHIII for 360 and Wii sold 383K and 286K, respectively. The w/o guitar version for 360 was somewhere below 116K.

So there was a pretty good split between w/ and w/o guitar on PS2. Partly still establishing a "platform within a platform" with new guitar sales, but partly just selling into a substantial established install base of guitars from GHI and GHII. Without that guitar install base, the console install bases of 360 and Wii outdrew the many times larger console install base of PS2.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

bdbdbd said:

1. One thing i didn't think of is, that since GH and RB compete with each other, most are going to get a game to play with the guitar they already own, instead of buying an expensive set of new controllers. Besides, sales indicate that PS2 locates in the kids rooms, where there are room for a guitar, but not for a bigger set, while 360 may be located more in the livingrooms. And as i said about dying console, while Erik did put it in a better way, there's no reason for PS2 owners to buy RB, since their set will be left unused after the first game.You can buy the Rock Band CD, and use your current Guitar Hero controllers...Most people do know that. So that point is invalid. Can you prove that a 360 is placed any different in a household than a PS2? Last I checked, according to everyone on these forums, only dumb kids own 360s. And how do we know that Rock Band 2 wouldn't come out on the PS2? EA hasn't said anything, as far as I know.

2. Well, if the audio quality is the same, 5.1 audio file on PS360 would be 2,5 times the size of 2.0 on Wii, and 7.1 file 3,5 times the size. And going to lower quality would decrease the size even more.Ah. That's what I was trying to figure out :)  I guess the next question is to know, and ensure what kind of Audio quality went into Rock Band on 360/PS3 vs. what will go on the Wii, and what was on the PS2.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

You guys care way to much about this shit. I couldn't care less about revenue going into someone else's pockets.

Wow

So what do you win if your prefered console sells more than another?

mrstickball said:

bdbdbd said:

1. One thing i didn't think of is, that since GH and RB compete with each other, most are going to get a game to play with the guitar they already own, instead of buying an expensive set of new controllers. Besides, sales indicate that PS2 locates in the kids rooms, where there are room for a guitar, but not for a bigger set, while 360 may be located more in the livingrooms. And as i said about dying console, while Erik did put it in a better way, there's no reason for PS2 owners to buy RB, since their set will be left unused after the first game.You can buy the Rock Band CD, and use your current Guitar Hero controllers...Most people do know that. So that point is invalid. Can you prove that a 360 is placed any different in a household than a PS2? Last I checked, according to everyone on these forums, only dumb kids own 360s. And how do we know that Rock Band 2 wouldn't come out on the PS2? EA hasn't said anything, as far as I know.

2. Well, if the audio quality is the same, 5.1 audio file on PS360 would be 2,5 times the size of 2.0 on Wii, and 7.1 file 3,5 times the size. And going to lower quality would decrease the size even more.Ah. That's what I was trying to figure out :)  I guess the next question is to know, and ensure what kind of Audio quality went into Rock Band on 360/PS3 vs. what will go on the Wii, and what was on the PS2.

1. I can't prove where the consoles are placed, but i can make assumptions based on few things: PS2 was the kids favourite and generally placed in kids room, while 360 is able to do the same as PS2 and more, featuring tech for your new TV. Most of 360 owners have paid the high price for their console, which indicates peoples willingness to pay a lot for gaming. While the people who paid the high price for PS2, have propably moved forward to 360, PS3 or Wii. And the people who can and are willing to spend a lot of money to games, are working young singles or couples, who live on their own and whose "entertainment center" is in the livingroom.
Looking one step into the future, if you're going to upgrade anyway, it's not very clever to invest comparatively high amount of money to a console soon to be (almost) obsolete. You're going to invest the money to a console that you plan to use in the future.
You can use the GH guitar in RB, but are you going to get a game for your guitar that's optimised to a completely differend set of controllers or a game that's optimised to your guitar? The problem is similar to what it is with quite a few Wii ports, where the controls are designed for a pad and while porting and implementing Wii specific controls, the controls have been fucked up.

2. Actually the thing was originally partially a question from me too, since i don't what quality, compression and the number of channels RB DLC uses and does the content come with anything else but the song. But, with the same fidelity my raw example shows the difference.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

MrOuija_AK said:
akuma587 said:
I still don't understand the point of this thread. Rock Band is probably a bad example, Wii Fit is a better one, but the public can be fickle and might not embrace the title as much as people are estimating. Wii Fit probably will do well though, breaking 5 million easy, maybe 10 million if Nintendo gets lucky.
You're underestimating the Oprah factor. Wii Fit is going to be hard to get for a long time. The only way I see it doing that poorly, is if they release a sequel that stops sales of the first one.

Actually they did a study on who the most influential talk show host on TV was right now, and it's actually Ellen, not Oprah.  Ellen plays GH on her show all the time too. 

So if SHE promoted Wii Fit, then it'd be real big .  and I am only half kidding here.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?