By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 Pro Holding back Xbox One X???

We learned this week that Destiny 2 will run at 30 FPS on Xbox One X, just as it will on PS4 Pro. But it's unclear if that framerate is the result of hardware restrictions or because Sony, through its partnership with Activision, would not allow the game to run better on rival hardware.

Head of Xbox Phil Spencer joined GameSpot today on our E3 live show to discuss this and much more. Regarding the potential for games' technical performance to be held back due to such arrangement, he noted that he was not aware of that specifically happening, but he did say he thinks it would be bad for the industry.

"I'm gonna struggle to not get myself in trouble on this one," he said. "I'll just say: I don't know anything about other development deals. You mentioned some things around clauses and stuff that I don't know anything about. But if anybody was to do a deal to hold back technical innovation on a video game anywhere else, that doesn't feel good for the industry to me."

For the full article, please go to:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2017-xbox-boss-phil-spencer-discusses-xbox-one-/1100-6450916/

Around the Network

That's some pretty wild speculation. Lets see how some other games stack up first.

Also, why would it be 60fps, because Forza is? That game was already at 60fps in 1080p.

lile the xbox one held back the ps4?

NATO said:

Well PS4 is the lead platform not Xbox. PS2 held some Xbox and GCN games back. It's hte platform they prioitize first.

NATO said:

It didn't because PS4 was lead platform for most of multi games 

Around the Network
SegataSanshiro said:
NATO said:

Well PS4 is the lead platform not Xbox. PS2 held some Xbox and GCN games back. It's hte platform they prioitize first.

This probably makes the most sense assuming there is no... collusion.

No, Xbox One is holding back Xbox One X because Microsoft promised to keep the Xbox One compatible.

Unless PS4 or PS4 Pro have worse performance than the Xbox One, they can't be the scapegoats here.

Doubt it, they both have weak CPU's so 60fps will probably still be pretty difficult to hit even on Xbox One X

While there will likley be instances where parity policies hold the X back (just as they occasionally did the PS4), i doubt that's the case for Destiny 2. They claimed the reason for no 60fps on the Pro was its CPU, and the X's CPU is only mildly less shit.

Zekkyou said:
While there will likley be instances where parity policies hold the X back (just as they occasionally did the PS4), i doubt that's the case for Destiny 2. They claimed the reason for no 60fps on the Pro was its CPU, and the X's CPU is only mildly less shit.

Not to mention the fact that Bungie isn't stupid enough to put a 60FPS version of a game out that is expected to co-exist with a version that can't be 60FPS (XB1) since one of the main points for XB1X is that you can play with the XB1 crowd.

The the OT: I would say that the system holding back the XB1X in this exact instance that Phil is talking about first is XB1, then the PS4, then maybe the PS4 Pro.