By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If it's on a Microsoft console AND the PC, it's an exclusive.

Exclusive means only available one platform. If it's on PC then it is NOT exclusive to Xbox. Being on Windows 10 does not change that fact. It makes Xbox look weak since PC is more powerful which makes Xbox One X irrelevant before it releases. Any Windows 10 PC can run the game at good specs so you don't need a gaming PC.

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Sorry Living I don't mean to be a dick about this but if a game is on X and Y then it isn't exclusive to either of those things, there is no debating it, it's on 2 platforms.

It's why I enjoyed the Sony conference is because the word exclusive didn't even need to be said at it, when you see a Sony first party game you know that is only on the PS4, you know that you got another reason for owning the system you bought as well as all of the third party games which appeared on the MS show basically.

Wasn't sure if this was meant as satire though because like I said, if you have a game on 2 platforms then the game isn't exclusive to either of those.

So if a game is on the Vita and PS4 then it would not be exclusive because its on two different platforms.  I believe that is a little to much black and white.  The word exclusive means different things to different markets.  If you purchase every game from the Win10 Store, from a Win10 Machine, I am sure MS believe you are in the Microsoft eco system and thus contribute to their botton line.  Is this any different if you purchase a cross by game on the PS Vita or the PS4.  2 Different platforms still same eco system and company.

In this case MS has two platforms that they want to exploit.  They want you to upgrade or purchase Win10 and use their Win10 store as well as their services for games.  It matters not if you believe you are not on their platform but really you are.  MS also have their console same situation either way you pay into their bottom line and help grow their marketshare in both spaces.

As for Sony conference, they really only have the PS4 so why would the need to say anything.

Why are people bringing up the Vita? Is the Vita equal or better in power to the PS4? Is the Vita a better option than the PS4? Are any of Sony's major games on the Vita? No. PC and Xbox both deliver the same gaming experience. The PS4 and Vita are not doing that and no PS4 game can run on the Vita. Only niche Japanese games that look like they belong on PS2 are on PS4 and Vita. So stop mentioning the Vita.

jason1637 said:
SuperNova said:
Eh. nah. As soon as it's on steam I can play it on my mac (yes, the magic of vitualization) it's reaaally not an xbox exclusive anymore.

What if its a steam game that cant be played on Mac but its only on Windows and Xbox?

Like I said, virtualization. I use playonMac and crossover mostly. It creates a little wrapper that pretends to be windows and translates everything to Mac OS. You do take a small hit on performance for some games, but as long as it's not exclusive to the windows 10 store, I can probably play it. I have a windows version steam installed in a wrapper and everything I play from that install just launches like it's native to mac even if it's windows only.

One of the only games I've had trouble with was the 2015 Kings Quest, because it had a windows bug I couldn't fix.

Games would probably run a bit better if I used boot Camp and had a complete Windows installation, but that would take drive space and I'd have to deal with log-ins and log-outs, anti-virus stuff and bugs and crashes (although I'm probably unduly biased against windows because my last windows was XP, I've heard it runs much more stable now).

I'm obviously not a hardcore PC gamer though, I happen to work on a mac and just play whatever I can't play on any of my consoles on there, so for my rather casual use it works. Gaming on Mac might get a little more viable with egpu support officially coming.

jonathanalis said:
SuperNova said:
Eh. nah. As soon as it's on steam I can play it on my mac (yes, the magic of vitualization) it's reaaally not an xbox exclusive anymore.

Well, if you cannot play natively on Mac, you still need a Windows environment. So, it is MS exclusive. 

Wich is why I said 'Xbox'. With MS you might or might not have a point, because so many games out there just automatically come to PC because it's the dominant and more importantly open platform. They never signed any kind of exclusivity deal, but are still going to be claimed as 'exclusive' by MS because they don't have the resouces for a port or have moved on or disbanded a long time ago. Anyways I can play them without actually installing any windows on my system, so I'm good.

Machiavellian said:

So if a game is on the Vita and PS4 then it would not be exclusive because its on two different platforms.  I believe that is a little to much black and white.  The word exclusive means different things to different markets.

Yes, "exclusive" or "not exclusive" is as black & white as it gets, no matter how much some people try to water down the the meaning of that word.

It is binary, just like "pregnant"... either you are pregnant or you aren't.

IkePoR said:
Machiavellian said:

How many people actually hook up their PC to their TV.  I have a gaming PC but I have absolutly no wish to put it in my living room hooked up to my PC.  If anything that would be the last thing I would do because i use it for work as well.  So when people say, why would I invest in a 500 xbox my reason is because my PC is regulated as a PC not a home entertaiment system.

So buy an objectively inferior option to avoid a minor inconvience?  Nonsense.  In a case where one is forking over that kind of cash, you're gonna want to move some things around to make it work best for you.  Also you could, idk, just play it on your monitor(s)?

Not sure if you are making sense.  I have a damn nice 4K HDR 55 inch TV.  I want to sit at my couch and play my games on that beauty.  Why would I want to play on my monitor.  I use my PC for work and other stuff.  Why would I want to move it to the living room them move it back to my office to work.  You call it a minor inconvience, I see something that is minor becoming a pain in the butt when you are doing it multiple times a day, a week, a month.  Lugging my PC to the living room which is downstairs, lugging it back.  Hooking up cables, taking them apart.  Yeah, very few people are going to do this and its the reason such setups are extreamly niche.

Around the Network
SuperNova said:
jason1637 said:

What if its a steam game that cant be played on Mac but its only on Windows and Xbox?

Like I said, virtualization. I use playonMac and crossover mostly. It creates a little wrapper that pretends to be windows and translates everything to Mac OS. You do take a small hit on performance for some games, but as long as it's not exclusive to the windows 10 store, I can probably play it. I have a windows version steam installed in a wrapper and everything I play from that install just launches like it's native to mac even if it's windows only.

One of the only games I've had trouble with was the 2015 Kings Quest, because it had a windows bug I couldn't fix.

Games would probably run a bit better if I used boot Camp and had a complete Windows installation, but that would take drive space and I'd have to deal with log-ins and log-outs, anti-virus stuff and bugs and crashes (although I'm probably unduly biased against windows because my last windows was XP, I've heard it runs much more stable now).

I'm obviously not a hardcore PC gamer though, I happen to work on a mac and just play whatever I can't play on any of my consoles on there, so for my rather casual use it works. Gaming on Mac might get a little more viable with egpu support officially coming.

Yeah but its not native so it wont really count.

CraigB said:

Why are people bringing up the Vita? Is the Vita equal or better in power to the PS4?

No, the Vita ain't equal or better in power to the PS4.

CraigB said:

Is the Vita a better option than the PS4?

For some games yes, especially if you want to play them on the go.

Conina said:
Machiavellian said:

So if a game is on the Vita and PS4 then it would not be exclusive because its on two different platforms.  I believe that is a little to much black and white.  The word exclusive means different things to different markets.

Yes, "exclusive" or "not exclusive" is as black & white as it gets, no matter how much some people try to water down the the meaning of that word.

It is binary, just like "pregnant"... either you are pregnant or you aren't.

So if MS said console exclusive then they would technically correct.  Meaning you can only play this game on their console out of all the other consoles.

Machiavellian said:
IkePoR said:

So buy an objectively inferior option to avoid a minor inconvience?  Nonsense.  In a case where one is forking over that kind of cash, you're gonna want to move some things around to make it work best for you.  Also you could, idk, just play it on your monitor(s)?

Not sure if you are making sense.  I have a damn nice 4K HDR 55 inch TV.  I want to sit at my couch and play my games on that beauty.  Why would I want to play on my monitor.  I use my PC for work and other stuff.  Why would I want to move it to the living room them move it back to my office to work.  You call it a minor inconvience, I see something that is minor becoming a pain in the butt when you are doing it multiple times a day, a week, a month.  Lugging my PC to the living room which is downstairs, lugging it back.  Hooking up cables, taking them apart.  Yeah, very few people are going to do this and its the reason such setups are extreamly niche.

And thus, the bolded sums up the fate of the Xbox One X.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

I agree with that definition. But I would just restrict it to Xbox Play Anywhere and Windows 10 store titles, not steam. With those restrictions, I think it makes perfect sense. Being able to buy and play a game on Xbox and Windows is a great plus and really convenient and Microsoft pushed for that.

Now of course some want to convince others that this is a bad things for Xbox gamers to have more options, it really depends greatly on the agenda of everyone who is using the word "exclusive" in any post or sentence to be honest :) Most likely, it will be used to re-assure ourselves (or themselves) that their platform of choice is the best.