By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Prediction: Mario Kart 9 won't release until a decade or more after MK8

Prediction: You're wrong.

Nintendo likes money.

Mario Kart 9 is being developed right now as you're reading this post. 

Around the Network

I don't know, I can easily see MK9 around 2020.

No way, OP. There's always been a new Mario Kart game on Nintendo platforms since the SNES. It would be a big mistake to not make a new one for the Switch.

vivster said:
Peh said:

So far, it's one MK per device. A new one announced so recently after the release of MK8D would split the community or make MK8D obsllete too fast. I don't count on a next MK for the next 3-4 years.

I also don't believe in a genre change.

I MK8D cross compatible online with the Wii U version?

I don't think so.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Peh said:
vivster said:

Is MK8D cross compatible online with the Wii U version?

I don't think so.

And that's not splitting the community?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
Not a decade but I can see MK9 being an early title the Switch's successor.

Which would make it about a decade after MK8, unless you think Switch is having a 4 year life cycle or less. 

vivster said:
Peh said:

I don't think so.

And that's not splitting the community?

Then every new console generation is a community split for you? OK. I just don't want that to happen during one console generation. I didn't even liked the moment valve announced L4D2 shortly after L4D1. 

But to be honest, even DLC can split the community, because you have the people playing only the vanilla version and the people playing the DLC one. It's annoying, but this is what happens. I also see DLC as a smaller investment compared to a MK9 full game release.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

It does feel like MK has little elsewhere to go in its traditional format. 8 pretty much maximized it. Where could they go from here? Diddy Kong Racing 2. Of course Mario has far more brand recognition than Diddy does, so they'll call it MK9 or some offshoot. ~3 years from now, one can hope. There's my big prediction for the day.

A decade is too long between mk releases,mk9 probably will be released in 2018-2020

Surly new MK is in production as we speak. I'd say anywhere from three to five years from now. Probably by the end of switch's lifespan.