By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - If Sony drops the price of the PS4 and PS4 Pro....

Machiavellian said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

This generation is over. A $150 price differential on the premium consoles and a solid $200 price tag on the PS4 would be the final nail in the coffin. It would be the ultimate price assault.

Yep and Sony would lose tons of money for nothing.  The console sells itself.  Sony and MS knows this gen is over so why even bother.  I doubt the PS4 will sell any better and MS console probably will not sell any worst.  If anything Sony would be leaving money on the table.  Why break even on your console sells when you can continue to make a profit.  Just believe this is the pipe dream of fanboys nothing looking at the business as a whole.

Lowering the cost will increase sales. And honestly a $50 price cut a year after is not a big loss.

The more consoles they can sell, the more they can make on PS Plus, PSN, games and accessories.

Around the Network

I'm not sure that either will receive permanent price drops this year, but we'll probably at least get $200 and $350 holiday sales for them. That would be enough to go head to head with MS this season while maximizing profit the rest of the year.

thismeintiel said:
Machiavellian said:

Yep and Sony would lose tons of money for nothing.  The console sells itself.  Sony and MS knows this gen is over so why even bother.  I doubt the PS4 will sell any better and MS console probably will not sell any worst.  If anything Sony would be leaving money on the table.  Why break even on your console sells when you can continue to make a profit.  Just believe this is the pipe dream of fanboys nothing looking at the business as a whole.

Except it's going to happen.  And Sony could probably cut the price of the Pro to $299 in Sept and break even.  Or sell for a small loss.  There's a reason they stuck with the same GPU, only doubled up and overclocked.  $349 this holiday season will still give them around $35-$50 profit, while making the price gap between it and the Scorpio seem even larger than it already is when compared to the graphical benefits you get from the Scorpio.

Where are you getting your info from.  I guess we will find out and see but thinking Sony is going to cut the Pro 100 bones sounds out of this world crazy.  I still have not heard any good reason WHY Sony would cut the price of the Pro 100 bones.  Hell, MS could sell the OneX for 399 if they wanted to and probably break even who knows.  Just because a company can do something does not mean its a smart move.  Also its not just graphical but performance as well.  I will be very interested to see if there are any price cuts.  If so then it will be just like the Xbox S temp cut for a month.

hinch said:
Machiavellian said:

Lowering the cost will increase sales. And honestly a $50 price cut a year after is not a big loss.

The more consoles they can sell, the more they can make on PS Plus, PSN, games and accessories.

50 Dollar price cut when you sell in the million is a huge amount of profit for little gain.  Its not like the PS4 is not going to continue to outsell the Xbox systems and cutting price for the limited amount of sells and losing that money for no real benefit doesn't look like smart business.

Machiavellian said:
thismeintiel said:

Except it's going to happen.  And Sony could probably cut the price of the Pro to $299 in Sept and break even.  Or sell for a small loss.  There's a reason they stuck with the same GPU, only doubled up and overclocked.  $349 this holiday season will still give them around $35-$50 profit, while making the price gap between it and the Scorpio seem even larger than it already is when compared to the graphical benefits you get from the Scorpio.

Where are you getting your info from.  I guess we will find out and see but thinking Sony is going to cut the Pro 100 bones sounds out of this world crazy.  I still have not heard any good reason WHY Sony would cut the price of the Pro 100 bones.  Hell, MS could sell the OneX for 399 if they wanted to and probably break even who knows.  Just because a company can do something does not mean its a smart move.  Also its not just graphical but performance as well.  I will be very interested to see if there are any price cuts.  If so then it will be just like the Xbox S temp cut for a month.

My info comes from common sense.  They are selling 1000's of the 1TB PS4 for $249 currently.  You think they are doing that at a loss?  Nope.  At worse, they are breaking even.  Making Pro for $50-$75 more per unit, when it has the same CPU and RAM, just 2 of the same GPUs instead of 1, is not a stretch.  Especially when they will have had a whole year to lower costs.  $299 is probably what they would have cut it to if the Scorpio had been $399.  But, MS wants to make more profit, now, not rebuild the Xbox brand, so they handed Sony a nice gift.  Now, Sony can price it at $349 this winter and still make profit.

Around the Network
FentonCrackshell said:
bonzobanana said:
The ps4 pro is a costed design, they didn't spend too much money on the overhaul to get 4k. The xbox one X is basically not a costed design and will cost a lot more to make so while the xbox one x is a more powerful console it will really struggle to get close to the ps4 pro pricing. So I wouldn't be surprised to see a ratio of 10:1 of ps4 pros for every single xbox one x sold.

But really its down to marketing Sony hasn't really pushed the pro its been more ps4 marketing in general where as the xbox one X marketing I reckon will be better but if you do that then the standard xbox one will suffer and fallback even faster compared to the standard ps4.

I'm more than happy with my xbox one for now though and I won't be tempted to go for the X model I think for a long time even though I have a 4k tv. I use my xbox one a lot but it plays second fiddle to the ps4.

See, I think the X1X will outsell the PS4 Pro when it releases. But to be honest I don't think the difference will be so uncanny that you'll see the benefit of having the more powerful console. I can see the difference between my old PS4 and my PS4 Pro. But I anxious to see the difference between the PS4 Pro and the X1X.

You could be right as its about marketing and perception of the consumer but I think if they really do push the X the standard xbox one will suffer even more against the ps4. I don't think Sony wanted to say the ps4 pro is the much better console because they knew that would stall sales of the standard model. I think they will be happy with the 5:1 ratio because the lower price model is really what is going to push console sales which means software sales and of course psn plus subscriptions which is where the real money is. Ultimately they provide 2 performance levels to get people into the sony playstation ecosystem spending money. Microsoft are doing the same  but their higher performance level is not at a mass market price so you end up with a small userbase of high spending consumers and the majority owning the lower performance console feeling like they are an underclass of consumers.

I just wonder if the ps4 pro has actually hit the right level of offering a resolution upgrade at a small premium which doesn't alienate existing ps4 owners but the xbox one X hasn't. 

That would kind of be pointless. Wasting millions for bragging rights is pointless. Unless sales are dipping YOY there's not much of a reason for Sony to drop price.

After 4 years we have reached the point where PS4 will start to pull away. The 2:1 ration will continue.

thismeintiel said:
Machiavellian said:

My info comes from common sense.  They are selling 1000's of the 1TB PS4 for $249 currently.  You think they are doing that at a loss?  Nope.  At worse, they are breaking even.  Making Pro for $50-$75 more per unit, when it has the same CPU and RAM, just 2 of the same GPUs instead of 1, is not a stretch.  Especially when they will have had a whole year to lower costs.  $299 is probably what they would have cut it to if the Scorpio had been $399.  But, MS wants to make more profit, now, not rebuild the Xbox brand, so they handed Sony a nice gift.  Now, Sony can price it at $349 this winter and still make profit.

Well your common sense was not proven so we will see.  My common sense says Sony keep the price right where it is and continue to outsell MS and make decent profit off the console because its smart business.  Cutting the price only to gain a little more sells at the cost of your margins is not helping the bottom line.  If any cuts will be done it will be the same holiday cuts we will probably see from all vendors.  MS probably will not cut the X1X price but they might pack in Halo or Gears with 4K assets etc.  You might get a 50 dollar cut to the Pro or a pack in game and same price but it will be the limited holiday price cut we see every year.  Even then, Sony is not pressured to do any price cuts and you prove my statement with your last line as MS decided to not cut the X1X price so the already 100 difference is well enough for the Pro to outsell the X1X Easily.