By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Predict When will Ps4 Outsell Wii

So many Nintendo fanboys with hatred for Sony...

Around the Network
StuOhQ said:
Wiibaron said:
43 million more to go. At a million a month average that would take nearly 4 years or March '21. But they aren't selling a million a month so I say it will never get to 101 million sales.

I'm surprised noone else is saying this.

No one else is saying it because it's wrong. The PS4 has never sold less then 12 million in a year, it's always averaged more than a million a month.

We have the 60.4m sold to consumers as of June, from that was can see that over it's life PS4 has currently sold on average 1.4m a month. Which means at that rate it'll have sold over 100m by October 2019. (28 months).

Kyuu said:

I'm surprised you can't see how dumb that post is.

Same here when PS4 is averaging well above 1 million in sales per month over the year ... 

Going through that logic is too painful for most ... 

StuOhQ said:
Wiibaron said:
43 million more to go. At a million a month average that would take nearly 4 years or March '21. But they aren't selling a million a month so I say it will never get to 101 million sales.

I'm surprised noone else is saying this. Once the PS4 gets down to $149 and below, though. It'll be interesting. 

They just sold 7m+ units in the first 5months of this year (2017), that avg's out to 1.4m+ pr month.

Also sales are typically higher in the holiday months (later in the year), and slow early in the year.

Its safe to assume the avg sales pr month is going to be higher than 1.4m pr month this year.

Switch launched and PS4 has best year its ever had (so far).

Xbox One X seems abit to pricy for most, and is probably going to sell worse than the PS4pro.

I dont see what would stop the PS4 from doing 101m+.

PS4 at 199$ this year (temp for holidays) is all PS4 needs to do the numbers sony forecast.

This entire gen has been filled with people doubting the PS4 and then being proven wrong every time.

Time will tell, but it's hard to not be confident.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network
Qwark said:
Teriol said:

Don't be so sure about it, Scorpio and NS are going to make sony to rush the ps5.

The only thing pushing Sony towards making a PS5 is a massive decline in PS4 sales. And frankly I don't see that happening because of an upgraded Xone and as for now Switch doesn't seem to have a negative impact on PS4 sales.

THIS!

StuOhQ said:
Wiibaron said:

I'm surprised noone else is saying this. Once the PS4 gets down to $149 and below, though. It'll be interesting. 

It actually sold 1.6M on average per year last year. It is projected to sell 1.5M on average per month over the next fiscal year. So whoever said it's selling less than 1M a month is wrong.

Barkley said:
Lenny93 said:
Never, it will taper off at 90 Million.

You know Sony forecast 78m shipped by march 2018 right?

You know that for sales to consumers 2017 is the fastest start to the year ps4 has ever had right? 7m in the same timeframe it sold only 5m in it's current peak years.

So with 18m shipped this year, and it being on track to be the peak year for ps4 sales to consumers... I'd very much like to hear how you expect PS4 to ship only 12m for the remainder of it's life after March 2018.

Oh while I'm at it I'll bring up another prediction you made yet again, and maybe that'll give you some perspective on your predictions.

Playstation fans are living in a dream world. Horizon won't sell any more than 3 million max.

Playstation 4 sells will taper off in 2018. Shipped does not equal sold through. They will ship half that amount (9 million) in the 2018-2019 financial year and 5 million in the next one after that, so 92 million to be precise.

According to Wikipedia it has sold 3.4 Million by the end of June, I underestimated it a bit, it will probably exceed 4 Million when it's all said and done. But the other point in that post was to assert that BOTW would sell more, which it has, on a far smaller install base.

Sales prediction, PS4: 122 Million, Xbox one: 50 million, Switch: 105 million. 

Lenny93 said:
Barkley said:

You know Sony forecast 78m shipped by march 2018 right?

You know that for sales to consumers 2017 is the fastest start to the year ps4 has ever had right? 7m in the same timeframe it sold only 5m in it's current peak years.

So with 18m shipped this year, and it being on track to be the peak year for ps4 sales to consumers... I'd very much like to hear how you expect PS4 to ship only 12m for the remainder of it's life after March 2018.

Oh while I'm at it I'll bring up another prediction you made yet again, and maybe that'll give you some perspective on your predictions.

Playstation fans are living in a dream world. Horizon won't sell any more than 3 million max.

Playstation 4 sells will taper off in 2018. Shipped does not equal sold through. They will ship half that amount (9 million) in the 2018-2019 financial year and 5 million in the next one after that, so 92 million to be precise.

According to Wikipedia it has sold 3.4 Million by the end of June, I underestimated it a bit, it will probably exceed 4 Million when it's all said and done. But the other point in that post was to assert that BOTW would sell more, which it has, on a far smaller install base.

Shipped does not equal sold through, but they are never usually more off than 2M, unless it's the holidays.  You can't force stores to take your product.  And yes, sales will taper off, not plummet like you predict.  In 2018, the PS4 is going to be $199 and the Pro $349.  That's going to prevent it from selling less than 14M for the fiscal year.  In 2019, it may be $149, with the Pro definitely being $299. That'll prevent it from selling less than 12M for the fiscal year. After the PS5 launches, yes, sales will go down further.  However, with it being so cheap and having plenty of cross gen games, I can see it doing at least 15M for 2-3 years it's still on shelves after the PS5 is out.

Let's see, the PS4 has been on the market for 3.5 years now, almost 4. Sold 65 million units so far. There could possibly be a PS5 in a year or 3. Hard to tell. If PS4 can keep that momentum of selling 15 million units a year from now it could definitely happen. However, it would be a definite outlier compared to the other 5 systems that have managed to break 100 million (PS1, PS2, Wii, DS, GB).