By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

The better system is...

Nintendo 64 606 48.71%

Playstation 1 638 51.29%

Total:1,244
globalisateur said:
N64 for me.

Like many have said PS1 had more games but N64 had gems that still are playable today (Mario 64, both Zeldas, Banjo Kazooie, GoldenEye007, Perfect dark, waverace64, Pilotwings etc.), unlike most PS1 games IMO (except Metal gear solid and maybe Tenchu and Castlevania).

But I was more of a Nintendo fan and didn't play that much the PS1. But for instance I really loved (and finished) Tomb Raider on PS1 back then but I can't play it anymore because controls are really bad.

PS1 has a lot of fighting games and RPGs that are still playable.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

Playstation overall, but arguably Nintendo had 3/4 "must play" games of that generation

(Mario 64, Zelda: OoT, GoldenEye, Final Fantasy VII).

If Nintendo had compromised that gen on the CD issue, they win that generation easily. Too stubborn, too stupid, N64 had everything it needed to win and win big that gen, Nintendo just threw it away for no good reason. Unlike other failed/dissapointing consoles, people actively wanted the N64.

If they compromise on CD-ROM and secure Squaresoft's continued support, which should have been easy since Squaresoft was super close to Nintendo at that time -- they run away with their third straight console generation win, no question in my mind. 

Yeah but those are just a bunch of what ifs....what is Sony and Nintendo never parted ways? What if Sony didnt have all taht 3rd party support and came up with other gorund breaking games at that time? Can't really go by the what ifs and nah the N64 did not have 3/4 of the must play games that generation....they truly missed out on a alot with Nintendo being prideful and stupid smh.....

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

VGPolyglot said:
globalisateur said:
N64 for me.

Like many have said PS1 had more games but N64 had gems that still are playable today (Mario 64, both Zeldas, Banjo Kazooie, GoldenEye007, Perfect dark, waverace64, Pilotwings etc.), unlike most PS1 games IMO (except Metal gear solid and maybe Tenchu and Castlevania).

But I was more of a Nintendo fan and didn't play that much the PS1. But for instance I really loved (and finished) Tomb Raider on PS1 back then but I can't play it anymore because controls are really bad.

I agree for the bolded, but after Street Figher 2 on SNES I wasn't that much into fighting games. I tried a Tekken game on PS1 once, didn't like it. 

I find most PS1 RPGs I have seen rather ugly and awful to play. Like I can't stand FF7, FF8 types games. I don't like cinematics games and I find the gameplay (and graphics) of those 2D RPG quite average (and / or bad).

globalisateur said:
VGPolyglot said:

I agree for the bolded, but after Street Figher 2 on SNES I wasn't that much into fighting games. I tried a Tekken game on PS1 once, didn't like it. 

I find most PS1 RPGs I have seen rather ugly and awful to play. Like I can't stand FF7, FF8 types games. I don't like cinematics games and I find the gameplay (and graphics) of those 2D RPG quite average (and / or bad).

Well I can understand that seeing as you are not a real big fighting game fan or RPG fan for real. But they had other really good games as well Parasite Eve, MGS, the Resident Evil games, Castlevania SOTN, The Crash and Spyro games, Dino Crisis, Tony Hawk, Parappa the Rapper, Legacy of Kain, Silent Hill, Megaman X4, Ridge Racer, Twisted metal, Gran turismo etc.....heck and that is off the top of my head and I left out all the great RPG games they had.

Now you all have me thinking about games on PS1 that were not that big that I loved like Jade Cocoon, Ehrgeiz, Alundra, Bloody roar, Vandal hearts, Tobal Rival Schools, Klonoa, Jumping Flash, Tomba, Bust a move, Legend Of Legaia(I would love a reboot of this), Bushido Blade, Vagrant Story man......all good memories and may no thave been as big as some of the others but it just shows how many good games the PS1 had on TOP of the classic it had.....wow

Around the Network
FarleyMcFirefly said:

Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask

Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Mario Party 1-3
Paper Mario
Mario Tennis
Mario Golf

Smash Bros.

Kirby 64

Star Fox 64

Bomberman 64

GoldenEye

Perfect Dark

DK 64
Diddy Kong Racing

Banjo Kazooie
Banjo Tooie

Flying Dragon

F-Zero X

Yoshi's Story

64 by miles. May not have as many games, but has some of the best games ever, and THE best game ever (OOT)

Star Wars Rogue Squadron

Star Wars Shadows of the Empire

Jet Force Gemini

Conker's Bad Fur Day

Bandorr said:
Playstation one. Much, much, much to the 100000 degree better controller.
Better use of memory cards.
Better graphics.
And a ton of good games.

Although I did enjoy Mario 64, and golden eye.

Well I guess the controller is down to opinion. I always thought the n64 controller was way better than ps controller. They both used memory cards, don't see the difference.

Graphics??! Uhhhh. you sure you remember those days? Not sure who in their right mind would say playstation had better graphics, or even close to as good graphics as n64. n64 was the graphical beast of the day. I remember being very impressed with PS1 graphics right up until the day N64 came out, they were just playing in different leagues. Technically ps1 could pump out more polygons, but that was it, everything else about the graphics, was much much much better on n64 - textures, jaggies, effects, non-glitchiness (omg the ps graphics glitched like crazy!), etc.

Anyways, PS1 for RPGs and MGS, 2 decades later those are the only ps1 games I would have any interest in playing again.

Overall N64 by a lot. n64 is when video games truly became multiplayer, it just blew everything else out of the  water in terms of multiplayer games, and had the best non-rpg single player games of the generation - which are still considered some of the very best games ever.

Bandorr said:
Slownenberg said:

Well I guess the controller is down to opinion. I always thought the n64 controller was way better than ps controller. They both used memory cards, don't see the difference.

Graphics??! Uhhhh. you sure you remember those days? Not sure who in their right mind would say playstation had better graphics, or even close to as good graphics as n64. n64 was the graphical beast of the day. I remember being very impressed with PS1 graphics right up until the day N64 came out, they were just playing in different leagues. Technically ps1 could pump out more polygons, but that was it, everything else about the graphics, was much much much better on n64 - textures, jaggies, effects, non-glitchiness (omg the ps graphics glitched like crazy!), etc.

Anyways, PS1 for RPGs and MGS, 2 decades later those are the only ps1 games I would have any interest in playing again.

Overall N64 by a lot. n64 is when video games truly became multiplayer, it just blew everything else out of the  water in terms of multiplayer games, and had the best non-rpg single player games of the generation - which are still considered some of the very best games ever.

"Better use" of memory cards. N64 you had to put the memory card in your controller. So you had one slot, and it competed with other features like the rumble pack.

PS1 had two slots, and they were dedicated slots. So it was much, much, much better.

Ah, so it was you who said the PS1 had better graphics, which is false. The N64 had better graphics.

Bandorr said:
VGPolyglot said:

Ah, so it was you who said the PS1 had better graphics, which is false. The N64 had better graphics.

I remember being impressed by the ps1 far more. Then again that was like.. 20 years ago? Can't remember that far back.

Well, being impressed is more subjective.

Bandorr said:
VGPolyglot said:

Well, being impressed is more subjective.

Isn't it all subjective? I fail to see how really anything here can be objective. Also requires remember far far far back to the long long ago.

Not really. You just need to see specs and comparison clips.